DK Firearms

what solvents, oils do you use to clean brand new gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Lots of people swear by hoppes and CLP... I hate the way hoppes smells and I've never used CLP (it's probably good I don't personally know.) I clean all my guns new or used with Ballistol.

try G96, it's like the bubblegum version of ballistol

From what I understand, Breakfree CLP hasn't been the same for a long while, even worse now that Safariland bought them out. I remember my dad having the old stuff from by the bucket. A drop could lube a whole gun. Maybe...

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    I use a whole bunch of different stuff.

I've torn down new guns and tossed parts right into the parts cleaner when they come with stubborn grease.

In my case now: Hoppes #9, CLP, Frog Lube, graphite powder, Rem Oil, G96, and some brake cleaner.

Mobil 1 has proven effective for some things as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jimirwin2023

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Dallas
    so what do you use to clean brand new gun? thanks
    I'm a 72 year old gunsmith. I've tried many/most snake oils. To answer the original posted question, I use cheap break parts cleaner to remove factory applied preservatives and flush out any crud from a NEW GUN's metal parts. Caution, this will most likely attack most wood stock finishes!

I like LPS-2 for a protectant, but it's hard to find and expensive. So like either BreakFree CLP or Ballistol. I also liked Frog Lube at first, but found long term issues.

Mike748

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 1, 2015
    DFW
    No one has mentioned this, so here I go. I use a product called Gibbs brand. It seems like another snake oil do everything for everyone, but the car guys like it for protecting aluminum and magnesium from corrosion. I find it does a good job cleaning gun gunk, and leaves a better lubricant film than most spray cleaners. I think the solvent is alcohol, and the lubricant is a light oil. I just use it to clean, I lube with TW25 or FP10 depending on need. Sometimes I'm lazy (Walther) and just hose it down with Rem Oil and blow it out.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Interesting that no one has mentioned Safari Charlies. It says it cleans and lubes, but I just use it to clean. That aerosol can blasts pretty much everything away. I use it mostly on ARs. What doesn't go can then be wiped away. Beware of the fumes. Though not as bad as others, its a bit strong in a confined space. Also use Hoppes #9 when its called for, and a copper fouling agent cleaner on rimfire guns, but only occasionally.

For pistol slides I like to use Castol axle grease. Just a very light coating, and then a thin coat of oil on top of that.

For bolt rifles I use Rem Oil, or if not at home, 3 in 1 oil. I have occasionally put a super thin layer of grease on the bolt slides, followed by super thin layer of oil. If in very cold weather, only oil.

For my AR I use Rem Oil mostly on the bolt carrier group. On the trigger assembly I use Castrol Marine grease. It seems to be a lighter consistency than the axle grease.

Top Bottom