• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    When i was young i had just a 10/22 and shotgun. I didnt see any need for a pistol.

I went off to college and after several people were shot to death within 2 blocks of my apartment i went and bought a cheap but reliable handgun, a Makarov. Later an AR and a bolt action rifle.

Then strangely enough, while i was in the military i wasnt really into buying guns or shooting. I guess shooting machine guns and M16/M4 several times a year on pop up target ranges was enough fun.

After the time in the military i got back into guns. I was a Ruger fanboy. I thought they could do no wrong and i bought a lot of Rugers. I then sold most of them as i found out what i prefer in pistols and rifles. (still dont have shotgun preference figured out)

So long story short...after buying and selling a lot of guns, ive mostly figured out what i like, need and want. I try to buy to keep now. I was big on having a backup for each gun but ive gotten away from that and basically have a gun for each "slot" or "need". Ive started keeping my guns long term which makes me more willing to get extra mags, parts and customize them a bit such as putting on better sights.

So where are you at in your buying/collecting/owning?
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I wanted everything at first. But now i am happy with what i have.
    But as bills get paid i will bet 1 or 2 more a baer, brown. Sti all in ss.
    And a . 50 cal semi

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The guns I have now I've had for quite a while, which means I must like them over the ones I've traded/sold. Although I do have seller's remorse for every gun I've ever gotten rid of. I've inherited several guns from family and will probably keep them for the kids and grand kids. Overall I think I happy with what I have (for now ........... :) )

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    I'm jaded. Went through the "wow that's neat phase" and sold the FS2000, Sig 556, FNC, and now all I have are ARs.

Anything I buy now is either in danger of being banned or will increase in value.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I have always been a methodical gun owner. But i just recently got into 22s. Having shot high powered rifles since i was 4 i never saw the lighter side of things. What made me switch to 22lr was i was tired of using expensive 5.56 on small game when 22lr could do the same at a cheaper rate and no overkill.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So long story short...after buying and selling a lot of guns, ive mostly figured out what i like, need and want. I try to buy to keep now. I was big on having a backup for each gun but ive gotten away from that and basically have a gun for each "slot" or "need". Ive started keeping my guns long term which makes me more willing to get extra mags, parts and customize them a bit such as putting on better sights.

So where are you at in your buying/collecting/owning?

This pretty much describes me. Bought and sold or traded tons of them. My current stable covers all needed scenarios but I will always want more.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Good thread. I'm in acquisition mode. I have had long guns for years. Mostly played with shotguns for bird hunting, but had a few rifles. Bought my first pistol last December just because I'd never had or shot one before and wanted one. Since then, I wanted to fill up the missing slots. Bought an AR, 22/45 for plinking with. Want things like a 1911, concealed carry gun, better .22 rifle, more pistols etc. Makarov is on the list too.

What I love about going to TGT shoots, is that nobody cares if you shoot their gun. It makes me much more aware of what I like and don't like just because I get the chance to put a few rounds down range.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Definitely in acquisition mode (wife and bills make that a tough enough venture), but on my short list I want a Ruger 10/22, a revolver of some form, a Mosin, and a Garand. Trust me though the list is much longer.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    have pretty much my bucket list - tho there just might be an STI Duty One 3.0 in .40 cal arriving sometime around this Christmas

not much into the long guns and I'm not a hunter (I prefer "Prime" beef on my table, a freezer full of which my Wife was kind enough to get me for my October BD gift)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm pretty much done.
    I like shooting more than collecting.
    I've got most all disciplines covered except long range target/varmint. I let those go a while back.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm in the "evaluating" stage. I have more than I can shoot yet there are a few holes in my collection for things I'd like to do. One day soon, I'll probably pull out everything, lay 'em all side by side, and decide which duplicates I can sell off.

For example, in .22 pistols I have a Ruger Standard, a MK I, and a MK II. I also have a full-custom target .22 on order. I have 2 obsolete free pistols. I have two S&W revolvers.

If I were smart, I'd sell all the others when the target .22 arrives. Then I'd buy a modern free pistol and a S&W kit gun. At that point, I'd be set for .22 handguns.

Then I should repeat the process for every type of firearm I own multiples of. For example, I have to ask myself why I have 7 (or is it 8? or 9? I forget.) shotguns when I use them so very rarely?

Whether I'll actually go through with this I don't know but that's the way I'm leaning.

If I decide to simplify, I'll post everything here. ;)

Top Bottom