Lynx Defense

What Stupid Stuff Have You Done With A Gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Just got myself a High Standard Durango in 22LR. Looks like an old west revolver. I checked it out, seemed to function fine but only a range trip will tell that forn sure. I also gave it a cleaning because, as is all too often the case when I get guns from auctions as I did this one, they are dirty as stinky diaper. Anyway, after cleaning it, and again after assuring it was unloaded, I tried to twirl it on my index finger kind of like Ringo in the movie Tombstone. It went around a couple of few times and then it ripped the skin off of the inside of my right index finger between the middle joint and the joint closest to my palm. Not much skin, just about a third the size of a dime. Skin got caught between the bottom of the trigger and the trigger guard. Do not know what stupid arsed thought inspired me to try that but I will not try it again.
    Target Sports

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Ruger Mark I pistol. The way I gripped it, the joint of my thumb was just below the bolt. And then it was just high enough for the bolt to remove the skin from that joint. And, yeah, it hurt. I probably did it once a year for at least 10 years. Seemed like that anyway.

Not me, but I've known people who put their eye against a scope and then fired the rifle. The worst case I've seen was a friend of mine's wife. Pretty lady, it was just awful seeing her with a black eye and a nasty gash over it.

Also not me, but a friend of mine had a 44 mag revolver. We were doing something with it one day and I noticed a really bad chip in the wood on the grip. I asked how it happened. "We were out hunting one day and we crossed a fence and accidentally pulled a strand of barb wire loose. I found a steeple and I tried to use the pistol to drive it into the fence post, just like you see in the old cowboy movies." Ouch!

Not directly related to a gun, but I was at an outdoor range once and a guy sorta went crazy and was dancing around and trying to holler. Someone saw what happened and we managed to get him medical treatment. While he was shooting, he was drinking a can of Coke. One of those yellowjackets that like to fly around trash went into the can and when the guy took a drink, the bee stung him on the back of his tongue. Not only did it hurt, but it started to swell up and block his airway. Make a note to ALWAYS shake that can a bit before taking a sip!

Oh, just remembered one: There used to be an indoor range near Intercontinental Airport (Now Bush). Took my son there when he was fairly young. There was a guy next to us who was some sort of gov't agent (I didn't ask) and was shooting an automatic Ingram Mac-10 machine gun with a suppressor. He must have had 50 magazines loaded in a duffel bag. One of the kids (like 19 years old) who worked there knew the guy and was talking to him. He asked to shoot it and the guy let him, but warned him about muzzle rise. Well, the kid was excited and didn't really pay attention to the warning. He fired a burst and the gun spun straight up. There was a rain of ceiling tile pieces that came down. Poor kid had a look on his face like he'd been kicked in the nuts. I think he was pretty sure he was about to be fired.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Shooting IHMSA in the 80's there is a position where you lay on your back. With a revolver there is some "spit" where the bullet jumps from the cylinder to the barrel through the forcing cone. In the position shown you need a protective pad or the blast will get you with the revolver. Next to me and my spotter we hear the shot and his spotter says "miss". Next shot, same thing, after 5 shots his spotter says "you're developed quite a flinch". It was funny to us, but you have to learn. We explained to the newbie about protective pads. I experimented with different pads myself, one was old jeans material with a leather strap. When testing the material actually caught fire. I finally settled on a printing press rubber blanket with leather strap, I worked in the printing industry.

Attachments

• IMG_IHMSA_23a.jpg
      IMG_IHMSA_23a.jpg
      37.3 KB · Views: 193

sanspeu1r

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Filer, Idaho
    I watched John Wayne get shot in the shoulder by an arrow. He pulled the arrow out, bit the bullet off a cartridge, poured the power in the wound and lit it. If John Wayne can do that so can I. Took a 22 LR bullet off and poured the powder in a little spot on the back of my hand that wouldn't heal, lit a match to it.

It burned for a loooooong time!
    John Wayne was a greater man than I would ever be, just sayin'

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I was about 17 or 18, and the first time shooting a 44 magnum, one-handed! One of my older cousins has just gotten a Ruger Blachawk and we were shooting at some stumps in an old stock pond. I decided to try it out Dirty Harry style! That hammer layed open a really nice gash down the side of my head when I fired it.
    Ha, mine is similar. I was about 17 and an older friend had a 44 mag revolver. He offered to let us shoot it. Did we have hearing protection? No. Bad plan. I could sense the change in hearing right away and blame my tinnitus today on that little bit of silliness.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Ha, mine is similar. I was about 17 and an older friend had a 44 mag revolver. He offered to let us shoot it. Did we have hearing protection? No. Bad plan. I could sense the change in hearing right away and blame my tinnitus today on that little bit of silliness.
    I blame my tinnitus on bowling, after ten years of shooting in competition (always with hearing protection), my new hobby was bowling. I was in a bowling alley almost every day of the week, was on 3 leagues and subbed on another and then practice. Bowling alleys are loud with no ear protection.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    When I was in the Navy me and 3 of my friends went squirrel hunting on an army base in Virginia. We're shooting squirrels, pine cones, trees, havin' a grand o'l time. Then as we're walking through the woods we come to this massive clearing and encounter this guy with a golf club, and golf cart, and golf bag... He looks at the four of us and his only comment was - "Play through!"

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Which one? Creedmoor? I always used to shoot out of Dead Frog. I never could understand the Sidewinder guys; that just didn't work for me.

Creedmoor more so than dead frog. At least with deade frog there’s a huge chunk of leg there to stabilize the pistol.

It’s that looks can be deceiving...they look weird but are stable and effective.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Replacing a 686 rear sight blade over carpet. That detent was sure tiny and launched with the force of a thousand suns. I just sat there and said to myself: “yeah you just decided to change that out over carpet you butthole”.

To everyone’s surprise I didn’t find the detent. Ordered a new one.

If this story is boring as it likely is because it doesn’t involve an nd or hurting myself, try reading it with Morgan Freeman’s voice in your head.

Top Bottom