Texas SOT

What Stupid Stuff Have You Done With A Gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I was a young boy.

Was twirling my Red Rider BB rifle on my finger.

It was loaded.

Got a glancing BB pellet about an inch below my eye.

That was the last ND I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Military Camp

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Creedmoor more so than dead frog.
    OK, it's off topic but I don't care.

It always bugged the ever-lovin' shit out of me that Creedmoor was named Creedmoor. The actual, historic Creedmoor rifle matches from the 1870s were shot from positions that were more like (sometimes exactly like) Dead Frog.

If history and logic prevailed -
    • Dead Frog would be named Creedmoor,
    • Creedmoor would be named Sidewinder, and
    • Sidewinder would be named "I want to shoot my toe off!"

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Was twirling my Red Rider BB rifle on my finger.
    If airguns count, when I was ~12 I set up an old, thick Coke bottle on a fence about 15 yards away. I pumped up my Benjamin .22 pellet rifle and shot it. The bottle didn't break but the pellet bounced straight back and thumped me square in the sternum.

I think that was the first time in my life I was glad I wore glasses. Even at that age, I knew that the pellet could have done awful things if it had come back a few inches higher.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Replacing a 686 rear sight blade over carpet. That detent was sure tiny and launched with the force of a thousand suns. I just sat there and said to myself: “yeah you just decided to change that out over carpet you butthole”.

To everyone’s surprise I didn’t find the detent. Ordered a new one.

If this story is boring as it likely is because it doesn’t involve an nd or hurting myself, try reading it with Morgan Freeman’s voice in your head.
    I was smoothing the trigger on my Sigma and I didn't see it but a spring took off, I was at my kitchen table. When I started to assemble the gun I couldn't find the spring. I took the kitchen garbage can and emptied the contents on a piece of plastic, found it!

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    We've done this topic before but I'll repeat - At age 11 or 12, I shot at a bird in an Ivy cluster on the side of my grandmother's house. BB bounced back & into the corner of my eye (no damage- WHEW!). I was the inspiration for "A Christmas Story".

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I pointed my BB gun at my parakeet cage, didn't think it was loaded. Smashed Petey's mirror, that's when I learned not to point a gun at anything unless you want to shoot it.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    OK, it's off topic but I don't care.

It always bugged the ever-lovin' shit out of me that Creedmoor was named Creedmoor. The actual, historic Creedmoor rifle matches from the 1870s were shot from positions that were more like (sometimes exactly like) Dead Frog.

If history and logic prevailed -
    • Dead Frog would be named Creedmoor,
    • Creedmoor would be named Sidewinder, and
    • Sidewinder would be named "I want to shoot my toe off!"
    Creedmore is how I shot, Dead Frog looked dangerous to me. Ps I'd forgotten about the names, thanks.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I once removed everything but the primer of a 12 gauge round. Then stuffed the shell full of toilet paper. Next I hunted down my sister with my Dads Browning A5. Thought it was great fun till I noticed the toilet paper was on fire. Put it out no damage, but when she ratted me out my Mom went ballistic.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I once removed everything but the primer of a 12 gauge round. Then stuffed the shell full of toilet paper. Next I hunted down my sister with my Dads Browning A5. Thought it was great fun till I noticed the toilet paper was on fire. Put it out no damage, but when she ratted me out my Mom went ballistic.
    Did she beat the shit out of you with the shotgun?

Spare the rod indeed.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Did she beat the shit out of you with the shotgun?

Spare the rod indeed.
    No, she took the car that was always promised to me and gave it to my older sister.
    She locked the closet where my Dad's guns were stored. I had to make a zip gun to shoot toilet paper. And I bought my own motorcycle. She offered to buy me a new Pinto if I'd give up the bikes. But it was too late, I was hooked. I don't think she ever really liked me after that.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Years ago when I first got my Ruger Mark III, I was so excited about putting some rounds through it that I wasn't thinking quite as clearly as I should have been. For some reason, I used a revolver style grip on it. I only made that mistake once. The first round took a pretty good chunk off my thumb's knuckle.

Edit: just started reading through the thread. I'm kinda happy to see I'm not the only one who's done this, LMAO!

Ruger Mark I pistol. The way I gripped it, the joint of my thumb was just below the bolt. And then it was just high enough for the bolt to remove the skin from that joint. And, yeah, it hurt.

I was about 16 when a friend let me shoot his 1911, first shot with my thumbs overlapping and the slide cut a groove along the top of my left thumb, still have the scar as proof, 50 years later, the 1911 is still my favorite.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    If airguns count, when I was ~12 I set up an old, thick Coke bottle on a fence about 15 yards away. I pumped up my Benjamin .22 pellet rifle and shot it. The bottle didn't break but the pellet bounced straight back and thumped me square in the sternum.

I think that was the first time in my life I was glad I wore glasses. Even at that age, I knew that the pellet could have done awful things if it had come back a few inches higher.
    If airguns count, when I was 3, I taught my 7 year old brother several lessons. First was, don't pump your Crosman .22 when your 3 year old brother is sitting next to you. Second, don't pump your Crossman .22 with your thumb over the muzzle. Third, don't load the pellet before you pump your Crosman .22. To teach him these valuable lessons, all I had to do was pull the trigger.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Replacing a 686 rear sight blade over carpet. That detent was sure tiny and launched with the force of a thousand suns. I just sat there and said to myself: “yeah you just decided to change that out over carpet you butthole”.

To everyone’s surprise I didn’t find the detent. Ordered a new one.

If this story is boring as it likely is because it doesn’t involve an nd or hurting myself, try reading it with Morgan Freeman’s voice in your head.
    Anytime I work on anything with tiny springs/screws/detents I place the item in a large ziploc bag and work on it in the bag so I don't lose anything.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Guess I already told about my dumb stunt with my cork gun SxS and my dozing father's cigarette ash. After that I was mighty careful with my guns.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Anytime I work on anything with tiny springs/screws/detents I place the item in a large ziploc bag and work on it in the bag so I don't lose anything.
    That’s logical. But sometimes you gotta live a little on the wild side. If it wasn’t for that dang carpet I would have found it. I’m a master at recovering detents and springs in a shop.

Top Bottom