Capitol Armory ad

What Stupid Stuff Have You Done With A Gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    OK, it's off topic but I don't care.

It always bugged the ever-lovin' shit out of me that Creedmoor was named Creedmoor. The actual, historic Creedmoor rifle matches from the 1870s were shot from positions that were more like (sometimes exactly like) Dead Frog.

If history and logic prevailed -
    • Dead Frog would be named Creedmoor,
    • Creedmoor would be named Sidewinder, and
    • Sidewinder would be named "I want to shoot my toe off!"
    Weren't the Creedmoor shooting matches named so because of wherethey were shot and thus any position they used called that because of where it was held. That was at Creed Farm on Long Island in NY? (The spot is now in Queens, NY which is part of NYC and while geographically on Long Island it is not considered Long Island by New Yorkers, especially Long Islanders who want no part of NYC.) So wasn't the position called Creedmoor because of that. Of course, I jusr realized I missed yer pernt!

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I lost a skeet shoot once. Just because I didn't reload the tube magazine after my last go.
    We were on the last round , a double. I had one in the chamber and an empty magazine.
    I scored a hit and a click.
    Last standing competitor and judge both said I had another chance.
    I declined and conceded the match.
    Weren't nobody to blame but myself.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I watched John Wayne get shot in the shoulder by an arrow. He pulled the arrow out, bit the bullet off a cartridge, poured the power in the wound and lit it. If John Wayne can do that so can I. Took a 22 LR bullet off and poured the powder in a little spot on the back of my hand that wouldn't heal, lit a match to it.

It burned for a loooooong time!
    John Wayne was a greater man than I would ever be, just sayin'
    He did that to cauterize the wound to stop it bleeding. I ripped off a big wart on my leg and it wouldn't stop bleeding, so I took my trusty soldering iron wiped off most of the melted solder and applied the sort -of clean tip to the hole where the wart roots had been and it stopped bleeding.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    He did that to cauterize the wound to stop it bleeding. I ripped off a big wart on my leg and it wouldn't stop bleeding, so I took my trusty soldering iron wiped off most of the melted solder and applied the sort -of clean tip to the hole where the wart roots had been and it stopped bleeding.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Ouch ! You sir have stainless steel cajones.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My wedding (first marriage) was a big drunken affair with all sorts of arrests, car fires, fist fights, etc. The next day we were at the in-laws and there were a dozen or so various guests badly hung over and waking up from sleeping on the coffee table, etc. My wife's brother's college roommate was in the driveway playing with a BB gun. He was shooting it at a basketball backboard. I warned him not to do that, as it might ricochet. He was a smartass and said something about that not being a problem. Two shots later, a BB hit the rim with a loud "ping" and ended up going through the back window of the in-laws family car (an AMC Matador). The entire window fractured, as it's designed to do, and then each piece fell one at a time into the back seat. The look on his face is still imprinted in my mind to this day.

My brother is intelligent, and has a PhD, but he's the kind of guy that has book smarts but not any other kind. As a kid, he hung out with a group of the dumbest dudes I've ever seen. One day they were walking somewhere and one of them was playing with a pellet gun. He pumped it up and said, "Hey, Jeff, look at this!" My brother turned around and the dude shot him in the face. The pellet missed his eye by not very much and slid along the cheekbone, coming to rest in his temple and tearing up a lot of his face in the process. My brother took the gun and beat the kid with it. They were in some random lady's yard at the time and she saw this and called the cops. The small town cops showed up with guns out, thinking they had some sort of riot going on. So the shooter wound up with a concussion and needed some stitches, while my brother wound up with some cosmetic surgery. I was working in a gas station at the time and my family rolled by in the Buick, slowing down long enough to yell that they were taking my brother to the hospital again. It happened often enough that I just waved and said, OK.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Weren't the Creedmoor shooting matches named so because of wherethey were shot
    Yes.
    thus any position they used called that because of where it was held.
    No.

Back in the day, the various positions, as far as I know (and it's been a while since I read "Irish Riflemen in America" so I may be forgetting something) didn't actually have names. Those positions were ridiculed in the press but they were all basically the same. The shooter lies (roughly) on their back, feet toward target. The rifle forearm is supported somewhere on the lower body. The buttstock would sit somewhere near the shoulder.

Rifles dedicated to that sport put the rear aperture sight on top of the buttplate, as far back on the rifle as it is possible to mount anything. After all, the shooter's face is back there so, well, why not? Like any aperture sights on rifles, the eye is right at the rear aperture so all the normal procedures apply. The added benefit was that the sight radius was ridiculously long.

Us pistol shooters who prefer aperture rear sights approach them a bit differently. In the beginning and for maybe a couple of decades, rear apertures were paired with post front sights. The basic principles remain the same as for rifles but I never liked front posts with rear apertures. I always preferred circular front sights. After all, the eye and brain want to see things as being concentric so it's relatively easy to put the rear sight ring around the front sight ring which is around the target. Misalignment of concentric circles like that is easy to spot and correct. In the pistol world, for some reason I can't fathom, this is called "peep-on-peep." I think that's a stupid name, mostly because I was shooting with such sights 15 years before most folks and I missed the opportunity to give them a name. :)
    I jusr realized I missed yer pernt!
    That's all right. You gave me an excuse to write a bunch of words about stuff I haven't done since my back decided to tell me to get on a fast horse and ride straight to Hades. I like remembering those days.

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    Garand thumb. It’s not like I did not know what I was doing, but I got cocky and did not take my time. After a minute of screaming like a little girl I vowed never again. That was about 25 years ago And it hasn’t happened since.

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    Reassembling a 1911 in the garage with oily hands. Somehow the recoil spring plug slipped in my hand and the spring shot it across the garage. I found it 2 years later.
    I had a similar thing happen with my Sig P232. I was cleaning it, put the slide back on and and it slipped out of my hand shooting the slide and spring across the room. The spring was bent enough from the impact with the wall that I had to order a new one. Not my proudest moment.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    My dad will kill me for telling this story but....

He got a new snubby and handed it to me to look at. It was loaded and holsterd so I unloaded it and l looked it over then loaded it put it back in the holster and hand it back to him.

What happens next is in slow motion.

My dad said you know what I like about this holster is that I ca pull the trigger while holsterd if I have to. About that time me and my step mom realise what's about to happen and we both dive to the floor in a perfectly synchronized motion as my dad points the gun to the front door and pulls the trigger.

We both look up to smoke and leather pieces floating in the air and the dumbfounded look on my dad's face then run to the door to see if the round exited the house. Thankfully a 2x4 stopped it.

My dad blames me for giving him a loaded gun? I handed it back to him the way he gave it to me. Everyone else in the room knew it was loaded and what was happening. Gee dad I say, rule number 1....remember it?

Over familiarity breeds contempt.

He also has a scar in his leg from playing cowboy with a single action 22 as a kid.

Neither of these incidents are indicative of the way my dad handled guns or taught us gun safety. They are a reminder that 1 instant of not respecting the danger can bring tragedy.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Years ago when I first got my Ruger Mark III, I was so excited about putting some rounds through it that I wasn't thinking quite as clearly as I should have been. For some reason, I used a revolver style grip on it. I only made that mistake once. The first round took a pretty good chunk off my thumb's knuckle.

Edit: just started reading through the thread. I'm kinda happy to see I'm not the only one who's done this, LMAO!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

In my teens I was shooting a Mark I one handed with a cigarette between my thumb and index finger. The cigarette hit me in the face and the slide ate the web of skin between my thumb and index finger. 45 years later I still clearly remember that experience.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Reading public threads like this and all the anti NRA threads on gun boards every where makes me wonder how Moms demand action even finds enough to stay busy with gun enthusiasts doing all their work for them.

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    No one has really done anything stupid themselves huh? Interesting. Lol
    When working I had a route that I ran at least once a week on my way home. Pawn shops.

One day I found a first generation Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel in .327 Fed. MAG.
    The pawn shop manager made double sure that I understood that this wasn't a .357 but a .327. She gave me a price that I couldn't refuse.

Then I learned of the cylinder bore problems these first gen pistols had.
    Back to Ruger it went. They replaced everything but the frame. New cylinder and new internals. Bravo Ruger C.S. no cost to me.

So now I should be happy cause I'm on the right side of the ledger at this point.
    Oh no, like a baby raccoon, I have to keep messing with stuff. I wasn't satisfied with the trigger. See, I've always been a S&W guy and that Ruger trigger felt like an east German dump truck.....and this is where the story gets stupid.

As you know, I have a stainless revolver here....and an active YouTube mind. It all began innocently enough. A trigger job.
    As I looked at the hammer I thought how cool would it be if I buffed the casting lines off of it?

Now I have a stainless hammer that looks like a piece of jewelry and no fingerprints on my hands. Then the trigger got shined up.

Maybe I can take that lawyer lingo off of the barrel? And then? Oh yeah, the frame too.

The problem suddenly dawned on me. This revolver has a cast frame and there isn't a flat surface on it. As much as I buffed and polished my reflection in this surface looked like a freak show mirror. All distorted looking.

I'm doing all of this by hand. I'm retired now so my time invested amounts to about a nickle an hour loss.

I made wood sanding blocks and trued up and flattened every surface on the frame. All by hand using rags and Mother's Mag Polish, just like my youtube heroes. Progressive finer wet and dry sandpaper, bales of it.

At some point you realize that you standing directly on the point of no return. But another way of looking at it whispers to you that when you get to the bottom of the hole, you should probably stop digging.

Finally, after weeks of work, it's done.
    Beautiful. A flawless mirror finish the likes of which you will never find on a mass production revolver.

The trigger was as good as a Ruger SP101 was ever going to be. A fancy set of grips and I tied a ribbon on it.

Ok, you can point at any of this as stupidity and it is, retrospect ya know.

The very next gun show I traded that beauty for a Kimber Solo and had to kick in 50 bucks to get my hands on that Kimber.

I mean, what could go wrong with a Kimber?

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Garand thumb. It’s not like I did not know what I was doing, but I got cocky and did not take my time. After a minute of screaming like a little girl I vowed never again. That was about 25 years ago And it hasn’t happened since.
    This was not a "did something stupid" but rather a rite of passage for anyone who ever wore olive drab fatigues in mid-20th century.

Top Bottom