DK Firearms

What Stupid Stuff Have You Done With A Gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Shot modern high base shells in a shotgun Grandpa bought used in 1912. Part of the butt plate was missing and it kicked like a mule, but a kid is only 12 once.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    As they say... stupid is as stupid does!
    Mark Twain once stated that "Familiarity breeds contempt and children!" I found that to be also too true!
    In my limited experience of 50+ years with guns, familiarity reared it's ugly head and took a bite of my dumb ass.
    I had just returned home from the field where I was exercising my 1919a4 Browining and was cleaning it and making some adjustments. If you are familiar with the weapon there is a locking mechanism to keep that massive bolt in a safe position for maintenance. DO NOT Trust that little screw lock to do it's intended job! While cleaning and lubricating the bolt face the full force of Murphy's Law came into play! My right thumb was instantly, painfully chambered into the breech of the beast. The bolt operating handle is also on the right side of the receiver. Yup! The thing had my right paw slammed home and I had to reach across the receiver and work the operating handle with my left hand. That 54 pound boat anchor was not cooperating in the least. It WAS a religious experience! I went through mu entire list of curses and was well into making some new ones! I was "speaking in tongues" before I was freed. My thumb was spewing blood faster than I was cussing! I went through a roll of paper towels like cheap toilet paper at a county fair. I ran around my backyard throwing bloody paper towels like a mad man. I went in the house to wash the thumb I was afraid to even look at. (remembering the old "Garand Thumb" incidents of years gone by as mere nothing in comparison. While running cold water over the disgusting thing that was my thumb, I gingerly plucked out pieces of shattered thumbnail and tried to "make nice" of the whole mess. Yes! tears of "bliss" were running down my cheeks. THEN the missus walks in hollering about just why are the squirrels in our backyard dragging off bloody paper towels to make nests with! he she saw my hand and the fur started to fly! (as if things for me were not enough) I got the, WTF did you do, How did that happen and the Dr. Phil "just what were you thinking" lecture! All of a sudden like a flash from heaven above "Don't you think we should go to the emergency room?! Then it was off to the races. The ER doctor wanted to know how my digit got to be in that condition as he was poking around in it. X-rays were taken while "wound seal" was used to stem the blood flow ( it had been leaking for over two hours at this time) when the doc came in and asked me about the pieces of thumbnail I had pulled out and showed me and the wife how stupid I had been because those were pieces of bone not thumbnail! A large part of my thumbnail was still chambered in the gun. I had shattered the bone at the tip of my thumb and first joint. Surgery was require to put the throbbing element back together with reconstruction of the nail bed and thumbnail itself. I will NEVER forget nor stick my fingers in things with teeth!
    Yup..... we ALL make stupid mistakes! I make the simple stupid mistakes look like fun!
    1919a4 riser.jpg

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Mark Twain once stated that "Familiarity breeds contempt and children!" I found that to be also too true!
    In my limited experience of 50+ years with guns, familiarity reared it's ugly head and took a bite of my dumb ass.
    I had just returned home from the field where I was exercising my 1919a4 Browining and was cleaning it and making some adjustments. If you are familiar with the weapon there is a locking mechanism to keep that massive bolt in a safe position for maintenance. DO NOT Trust that little screw lock to do it's intended job! While cleaning and lubricating the bolt face the full force of Murphy's Law came into play! My right thumb was instantly, painfully chambered into the breech of the beast. The bolt operating handle is also on the right side of the receiver. Yup! The thing had my right paw slammed home and I had to reach across the receiver and work the operating handle with my left hand. That 54 pound boat anchor was not cooperating in the least. It WAS a religious experience! I went through mu entire list of curses and was well into making some new ones! I was "speaking in tongues" before I was freed. My thumb was spewing blood faster than I was cussing! I went through a roll of paper towels like cheap toilet paper at a county fair. I ran around my backyard throwing bloody paper towels like a mad man. I went in the house to wash the thumb I was afraid to even look at. (remembering the old "Garand Thumb" incidents of years gone by as mere nothing in comparison. While running cold water over the disgusting thing that was my thumb, I gingerly plucked out pieces of shattered thumbnail and tried to "make nice" of the whole mess. Yes! tears of "bliss" were running down my cheeks. THEN the missus walks in hollering about just why are the squirrels in our backyard dragging off bloody paper towels to make nests with! he she saw my hand and the fur started to fly! (as if things for me were not enough) I got the, WTF did you do, How did that happen and the Dr. Phil "just what were you thinking" lecture! All of a sudden like a flash from heaven above "Don't you think we should go to the emergency room?! Then it was off to the races. The ER doctor wanted to know how my digit got to be in that condition as he was poking around in it. X-rays were taken while "wound seal" was used to stem the blood flow ( it had been leaking for over two hours at this time) when the doc came in and asked me about the pieces of thumbnail I had pulled out and showed me and the wife how stupid I had been because those were pieces of bone not thumbnail! A large part of my thumbnail was still chambered in the gun. I had shattered the bone at the tip of my thumb and first joint. Surgery was require to put the throbbing element back together with reconstruction of the nail bed and thumbnail itself. I will NEVER forget nor stick my fingers in things with teeth!
    Yup..... we ALL make stupid mistakes! I make the simple stupid mistakes look like fun! View attachment 256437
    Well done sir, well done.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Dumbest thing I’ve done, wasn’t really 100% my fault. I was about 10 or 11, and I was out with my uncle who had just got a new rifle. I had a little bit of experience with shooting, mostly shotguns and muzzle loaders, and a lever action my grandpa always used, but I had never shot a rifle with a scope, and so he was explaining to me to look through the scope, put the crosshairs on the jug of water he had set up, and pull the trigger. So I did. I put my eye right up to the scope and pulled the trigger! Bled like a stuck pig, and my eye was black for 2 weeks. Missed the damn jug too! Thought my mom was gonna have a heart attack when I got home. Jacket and jeans had blood all over them. Thought she may kill my uncle too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Yup..... we ALL make stupid mistakes! I make the simple stupid mistakes look like fun! View attachment 256437
    You win!

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I giggled at "locker room pop" and immediatley thought of The Good Guys movie. (desk pop - lol)

When I was about 10 I found some shotgun shells and cut the shell and emptied the shot out. I would then place the almost empty shell on the end of the barrel of my bbgun and pull the trigger. It was LOUD! And made me very happy. Until my bb gun barrel cracked.

Had a hard time explaining that to my dad. He knew I was up to something stupid, but didn't figure it out.

At least I was smart enough to know that I needed to empty the shot out of that shell.
    I did something similar. I was bored i guess and looking for something cool to play around with. I cut off the shot shell, leaving only the brass and primer. Clamped it in a vice, hit the primer using small screw driver and hammer. I was 12 or 13 at the time and it never dawned on me that the primer would behave like a bullet in the opposite direction. Close to 40 years later I still have that scar on my hand. Mom and dad never knew about it but damn that hurt like 1000 bee stings

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I shot myself in a mirror once... I survived, but that other me cracked up.
    Now this incredibly funny,,, brought tears to my eyes! Let me explain.
    I received my first hand gun from my grandfather for my 7th birthday, A Remington Rand 1911a1. My mother was not happy but it was her father. In perspective he spent forty years in the US Army Ordnance Corps (1917-1957) A Balloonist in WWI and not quite right.
    I was not allowed to fire the 1911 for a couple years until the operation of it was DRILLED into my head. Every aspect of each part and exact maintenance. I do not know just how many times I was drilled on disassemble and reassembly during those days. Then came handling practice! Proper holstering, picking the piece up right handed, left handed and switching hands. Then proper pointing with either hand (IN FRONT OF A MIRROR) using the pupil of my right eye if in the right side dominant position and the same for the left position. IN FRONT OF A MIRROR! Things got infinitely more distressing when he would stand behind me with a ping-pong paddle, red on one side and green on the other. With the pistol holstered he would give the draw and point command then quickly show one side of the paddle. Green meant to fire ... red you better not! It only showed momentarily. If it were green and I dry fired he would just say GOOD! If it were red and i did NOT the same response BUT if it was RED and I pulled the trigger "WHACK" on the back of my head with the paddle and he would proclaim DUMB ASS! Then tell me in a very stern voice "YOU just shot someone AND YOU CANNOT take that bullet BACK! Always be certain of your intentions and target!
    YOUR and someone else's LIFE MAY depend on it! So let's try again. He WAS TOUGH! I look back all those years ago and still laugh... because then came the same trials and tribulations with an M1 Garand when I was 12.
    I am still chuckling over that poor bird's mirror!
    Thanks! Sorry I was so wordy....

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Glad I'm not the only one who had a bb bounce back... Except mine hit.me between the eyes.

Also showing off a 1911 to a friend once and let the slide slip. It pinched the shit out of my finger in the chamber and drew blood. Lots of blood.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    All the talk about BB guns helped me remember another stupid thing I did with a gun. My dad always told me I could shoot certain birds, but NEVER a robin. Well, all I saw that day were robins, and I had a whole new tube of bb’s I needed to shoot. So I killed about a dozen robins that day, and shoved their bodies in a rotted out hole, in the base of an old tree. My conscience got the better of me, and I broke down that night and told on myself. Actually I told my dad it was my friends idea and he started it, and I only shot one or two! Lost BB gun privileges for a while, and never shot another robin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    In my case it's what stupid thing I "almost" did with a gun. I had a .357 I was reloading rounds for using an RCBS and semi-wadcutter rounds and Hercules Unique powder. I was out camping and crappie fishing on a creek when I raised the wire basket to drop in another crappie and saw a snake had fallen in on top of the other fish. Thanks to the Coleman lantern I saw him and kept my hand out. Grabbed my .357 and fired a round into the side of the basket but only heard a small pop. Was going to fire another round but something stopped me. I pictured a round stuck in the barrel and doom if i did fire. I got the oil dipstick from my 1974 VW Bug and used it to go thru the end of the barrel and punch it out to the rear. On the creek of Lake Lewisville I came very close to disaster late one night in 1974.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I have carved a Jack’O lantern face in a pumpkin by shooting it with my pistol.

Also I augmented a pumpkin with a packet of tannerite and blew it up as I shot it with a rifle.

Wasting good food might be considered to be “stupid” considering the sheer amount of inflation we got coming down the pike.

Top Bottom