• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Soups, stews, and chili are always better the next time around.
    I'll second that. We make chicken cauliflower soup once or twice a week here. Day 2 or 3 is always best. Heck, I prefer to toss stale bread in with it. Not crouton stale but stiff.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I made stew from last weeks smoked brisket. I had a water pan under the brisket with beef base in it. It ended up in a sauce pan & in the fridge.

Nice layer of beef fat on top that I used to make a roux. Sweated celery,onion, garlic, jalapeños in my stock pot. Meantime I peeled carrot and diced some Yukon spuds. The left over beef base & water went in next to simmer all the produce.

Once the spuds were cooked the roux went in + the diced brisket. It was a bit salty so I added molasses. Almost forgot the frozen green beans, so they went in last. Wish the store had frozen peas too.

I thought it turned out well, the wife said it was to rich.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I made stew from last weeks smoked brisket. I had a water pan under the brisket with beef base in it. It ended up in a sauce pan & in the fridge.

Nice layer of beef fat on top that I used to make a roux. Sweated celery,onion, garlic, jalapeños in my stock pot. Meantime I peeled carrot and diced some Yukon spuds. The left over beef base & water went in next to simmer all the produce.

Once the spuds were cooked the roux went in + the diced brisket. It was a bit salty so I added molasses. Almost forgot the frozen green beans, so they went in last. Wish the store had frozen peas too.

I thought it turned out well, the wife said it was to rich.

Dayem Baboon! My mouth got to watering just reading your post! That sounds pretty damn good to me.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I've made meat pies out of leftover Shephard's pie and biscuits I didn't use. I pretty much repurpose all foods that haven't been ate.

Leftovers in our house, get no more than one week in the fridge. The really good ones, usually don't make it past three days. The exceptions are chili, brisket, pinto beans and a few others. After a few days, those are usually put into freezer bags for another time.

But once a week, usually on the weekend, we dump just about everything from the week into a huge container, that I mix dry dog food and water into. The dogs call it "Scrap Night" and they love it!

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    Leftovers in our house, get no more than one week in the fridge. The really good ones, usually don't make it past three days. The exceptions are chili, brisket, pinto beans and a few others. After a few days, those are usually put into freezer bags for another time.

But once a week, usually on the weekend, we dump just about everything from the week into a huge container, that I mix dry dog food and water into. The dogs call it "Scrap Night" and they love it!
    Putting leftovers in the freezer is really good, sometimes I feel like it brings the flavor out. I'm a firm believer of not letting food go to waste. I even have chicken backbones in my freezer, ones I get enough I'm making chicken bone broth. Since I do the cooking that's why I repurpose things, very rarely does anything not get ate. I hate wasting money.... Even the bacon fat gets reused. I'm cheap... lol. I bet your dogs love it!!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Putting leftovers in the freezer is really good, sometimes I feel like it brings the flavor out. I'm a firm believer of not letting food go to waste. I even have chicken backbones in my freezer, ones I get enough I'm making chicken bone broth. Since I do the cooking that's why I repurpose things, very rarely does anything not get ate. I hate wasting money.... Even the bacon fat gets reused. I'm cheap... lol. I bet your dogs love it!!

We are also firm believers in repurposing food to other things. One of my favorites is pinto beans into my own style of refried beans. Because usually we use a smoked ham bone to gook the pinto beans, my refried beans have a very slight smoke flavor to them.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The word is frugal, not cheap! When I spatchcock chicken I cut the backbone out for chicken stock. I was feeding the dog the hearts, livers & gizzard, but he ain’t worthy. Besides its catfish bait!

I watched my mom make TV dinners from leftovers for his lunch while he worked. I hate throwing away food as it’s like throwing away money!

We all could use less overly engendered foot in our lives! I have for the most part done the cooking. I write the shopping list and plan a weeks menu.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We are also firm believers in repurposing food to other things. One of my favorites is pinto beans into my own style of refried beans. Because usually we use a smoked ham bone to gook the pinto beans, my refried beans have a very slight smoke flavor to them.
    Next time you smoke pork butts pull the fat side completely. The meat gets more smoke & smoking that fat is great in beans.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The word is frugal, not cheap! When I spatchcock chicken I cut the backbone out for chicken stock. I was feeding the dog the hearts, livers & gizzard, but he ain’t worthy. Besides its catfish bait!

I watched my mom make TV dinners from leftovers for his lunch while he worked. I hate throwing away food as it’s like throwing away money!

We all could use less overly engendered foot in our lives! I have for the most part done the cooking. I write the shopping list and plan a weeks menu.

Years ago, when I was single and working, I'd cook big meals. And then would use that for lunches and dinners for the week. Sometimes adding something a little different every couple of days to keep from getting burned out from eating the same thing for several days in a row.

A lot of the guys I worked with either went out to eat for lunch, or brought a sandwich and chips. As long as I had a microwave to reheat with, I was good to go. I know it saved me lots of money that way as well. And it's just a better day when you are able to have a hot meal for lunch, rather just a cold sandwich.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Years ago, when I was single and working, I'd cook big meals. And then would use that for lunches and dinners for the week. Sometimes adding something a little different every couple of days to keep from getting burned out from eating the same thing for several days in a row.

A lot of the guys I worked with either went out to eat for lunch, or brought a sandwich and chips. As long as I had a microwave to reheat with, I was good to go. I know it saved me lots of money that way as well. And it's just a better day when you are able to have a hot meal for lunch, rather just a cold sandwich.
    Before microwave ovens my dad built a light bulb oven for work.

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    That's good, to many people waste food nowadays. I too like a good smoked ham bone in my pinto beans, my pig farmer gave me some pig jowls so I'm going to try those in my beans tomorrow. They look a lot like bacon, this will be my first time cooking with them.

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County

True, I lived alone for 11 years so I made sure my money was stretched as far as I could get it. Now I get whole chickens from a local farmer and break them down before I freeze them. The meat is so much better on fresh chickens than the ones that are store bought.

Thats awesome! I find making a menu every week actually helps save on money and time. :D

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    That's good, to many people waste food nowadays. I too like a good smoked ham bone in my pinto beans, my pig farmer gave me some pig jowls so I'm going to try those in my beans tomorrow. They look a lot like bacon, this will be my first time cooking with them.

My grandmother only used salt and pepper, and either salt pork or salt jowls to season her pinto beans when she cooked them. As matter of fact, about the only seasoning she used pretty much were salt and pepper, lard or bacon drippings.

In the last several years, I have gone back to basics in cooking, going back to the ways my grandmother and stepmother cooked from scratch. I find it enjoyable to cook a meal, and it comes out tasting like my grandmother had cooked it.

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    My grandmother only used salt and pepper, and either salt pork or salt jowls to season her pinto beans when she cooked them. As matter of fact, about the only seasoning she used pretty much were salt and pepper, lard or bacon drippings.

In the last several years, I have gone back to basics in cooking, going back to the ways my grandmother and stepmother cooked from scratch. I find it enjoyable to cook a meal, and it comes out tasting like my grandmother had cooked it.
    I love to Cook too! Nothing is more satisfying than making a meal yourself. You know where everything came from and it usually taste so much better than what you can get at most places.

Top Bottom