• 1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Next time you smoke pork butts pull the fat side completely. The meat gets more smoke & smoking that fat is great in beans.
    I did that with a ham I baked for Easter, A neighbor wanted the fat, no meat. I did not cook the fat. She cooks with it and eats it. What she cooks taste very good.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Brisket point & potato tacos on flour tortillas
    Usually brisket.
    Most briskets are large enough, you know that you are going to have leftovers. And leftover brisket, can be used in so many ways.

We make tacos with leftover brisket, chopped brisket sandwiches, loaded baked potatoes, and quite a few other things.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    How old does something have to be to be "leftovers"? If 12 hours or so is enough, then my answer is easy. I wrote about it on TGT a while back:

... Uvalde in 1978. My father and I had been shooting all day in a match at the Uvalde Gun Club (which, I think, no longer exists.) It was summer, late in the day, we were parched and hadn't eaten since breakfast. I went to our 1970 Cadillac and rummaged around in the ice chest. I found two waters. Then I saw it, a bit of plastic poking up through the seats. I fished out a plastic bag containing one of the egg-on-toast with a light coat of mayo sandwiches that mom had sent with us for breakfast when we had left home before sunrise that morning. Apparently I had sat on it and it had gone down between the cushions of the front seat.

I called my dad over. We split the sandwich and leaned against the car, side by side, watching the sun go down as we silently chewed our soggy, flattened sandwich halves and sipped our water. The pistols on the range had long since gone silent and there was a stillness to the place, to our eating, and in our hearts. It was just me and my dad, saying nothing, communicating volumes, and finding peace, together. Somehow even my deeply immature, 18-year-old heart knew that the moment was perfect.

That was the best meal of my short life. A bit over a year later my dad was dead. I've never had another meal that came close to that ruined sandwich with that marvelous old man. I won't have another like it until I share another sandwich with him on the other side.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    @benenglish, I meant to ask you the last time when you posted this.

That was the best meal of my short life. A bit over a year later my dad was dead. I've never had another meal that came close to that ruined sandwich with that marvelous old man. I won't have another like it until I share another sandwich with him on the other side.

And if it's too personal or painful a memory I apologize in advance, but did you father die suddenly, or was he terminally ill? I ask because I'm 58, and my father is 78, and I saw from the time frame, you are just a bit older than me, but I'm trying to come to terms with my own father getting older and not being around forever. Every year, the inevitable of his, and my mortality are becoming a reality. I knew my mother was sick for some time with cancer when she passed away some years ago, but my brother and I were raised by our father from an early age, with him being a single father for many of those years.

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    Most briskets are large enough, you know that you are going to have leftovers. And leftover brisket, can be used in so many ways.

We make tacos with leftover brisket, chopped brisket sandwiches, loaded baked potatoes, and quite a few other things.
    We had brisket at my wedding, I'm pretty sure we had left over brisket for two months, I made all kinds of brisket dishes for a while. Thankfully neither one of us minded. :D

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    We had brisket at my wedding, I'm pretty sure we had left over brisket for two months, I made all kinds of brisket dishes for a while. Thankfully neither one of us minded. :D

One re-use of brisket, if I have some in the freezer, is when I'm making my homemade chili. I thaw it out, and chop it up like you would for a chopped beef sandwich. And into the pot it goes! It adds a little bit of a smoky flavor to the chili.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    One re-use of brisket, if I have some in the freezer, is when I'm making my homemade chili. I thaw it out, and chop it up like you would for a chopped beef sandwich. And into the pot it goes! It adds a little bit of a smoky flavor to the chili.
    Makes for a better texture too! One thing you will never find in my chili is coarse ground chili meat. I hate making it. People generally bitched about it. Supervisors felt they needed to tell you when to make it, and were mostly wrong.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    This white girl I met in Germany...
    Mmmmmmm tasty
    0b726adaa0dc7f972fb50fade7d2149c.jpg

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Pizza.

Lots of people like cold pizza leftovers, but not me.

Instead, I nuke it for a bit to get the cheese melted, then re-heat the slices on a non-stick pan.

What you get is piping hot pizza with a crispy crust…oftentimes it’s better than the pizza was originally (due to the crust).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom