• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flight13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Austin
    Looking to make my first gun purchase and need some opinions. I've been doing a lot of research and decided the XD 9mm was the one for me. Fits my hand nicely and the reviews always seem to be great. As I'm out and about I'll look for 9mm ammo and always run into the same issue as everyone else. Fortunately in the last week I've been able to get my hands on about 500 rounds between WM and Cabela's. With this frustration, I've been wondering if I should just pick up a .22 since the ammo always seems to be available at my local WM. At this point I only plan on going to the range to have some fun. So what do you think...9mm or .22? Plan on purchasing tomorrow.
    Thanks

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Looking to make my first gun purchase and need some opinions. I've been doing a lot of research and decided the XD 9mm was the one for me. Fits my hand nicely and the reviews always seem to be great. As I'm out and about I'll look for 9mm ammo and always run into the same issue as everyone else. Fortunately in the last week I've been able to get my hands on about 500 rounds between WM and Cabela's. With this frustration, I've been wondering if I should just pick up a .22 since the ammo always seems to be available at my local WM. At this point I only plan on going to the range to have some fun. So what do you think...9mm or .22? Plan on purchasing tomorrow.
    Thanks

While 9mm is a little harder to get a hold of right now and more expensive, you could also still use it for self defense. With a .22, you could use it for self defense, though I wouldn't advise using .22lr if you have a choice. One thing you might want to consider is buying an XD9, and if you can swing buying both, there are some inexpensive .22lr rifles around the $100-150 range like Mossberg Plinksters and I think there is also a Marlin around that price range. Anyways, just a thought. By chance did I help you out the other day? I work at Cabela's (I'm Travis). If you have a chance to drop by, I'd be more than glad to help you out.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Everyone needs a .22 and if it is your first gun especially a pistol I would say go with the .22 for sure. It will make the learning curve way easier and cheaper. Now for the XD, great gun. I have even been considering one since .45 ammo is so expensive now, and 9mm seems available more often.

Learn on the .22 then buy the 9mm, if you can swing it buy both. In .22 look at the Berretta Neos. It is acurate and reliable, and it will teach you about semi autos.

flight13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Austin
    Thanks for the responses. As much as I'd like to buy both, it's just not in the budget. I've only rented 9mm pistols at the range and I'm comfortable with it. I've never shot a .22 so was worried it might not be enough to satisfy.
    Sig_Fiend, not sure if it was you that helped me but it was on Saturday and the guy I talked to said the ammo had only been on the shelf about 30 minutes. I mentioned I was considering the XD. Unfortunately, even with the $30 off XDs that day, the price was still about $30 more than McBride's. I'm leaning towards getting the XD and a rifle later as you suggested. Still haven't decided though...and there's still the XD or XDm thought!

hk boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    if you are getting the XD, go for the XDm
    the XDm has a shorted trigger, adjustable grip, match grade barrel, etc...
    the only down side with the XDm is they don't make a compact or sub compact model
    yet.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That was probably me then. ;) I would suggest going with a 9mm then as you could still use it for self defense, and 9mm is a perfectly capable round.

Breadfan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Croatia
    if you are getting the XD, go for the XDm
    the XDm has a shorted trigger, adjustable grip, match grade barrel, etc...
    the only down side with the XDm is they don't make a compact or sub compact model
    yet.

I suggest he goes for the XD. He won't regret it and he can use it both as a SD and range pistol.
    Since this is going to be his first firearm, I wouldn't recommend XDM as it has a shorter trigger pull..XD is the way to go. You can always add up and get yourself XDM or whatever you like.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Buy the 22.

Seriously...if you buy a 9mm pistol...you'll have a hell of a time finding ammo as of lately.

Hope and change brought to you by Obama. Think next time you vote.

- brickboy240

Warrior108

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Poked around a bit to see if there is a .22 conversion kit yet for XD's and the best that I could find is that they may be available later this year or Q1 of 2010 from AdvantageArms. 9mm availability does stink now but you could have a 2 in 1 gun down the road if you went with the larger caliber.

Used 22's can be found cheap sometimes and could cost about the same as a conversion kit though too.

Top Bottom