Join TexasGunTalk

What to do about scumbags checking car doors at night?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Fosty 2.0, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Tamlibtoim

Tamlibtoim New Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Texas (Bay Area)
    This exact situation happened to my family. Wife’s vehicle was left unlocked and property was stolen. Everything was recorded by video and a timeline was established with the help of other neighbors videos as well. Police were notified, reports taken, end result nothing. The question presented by OP was my conundrum also. What can one do to stop the burglary? Deterrents can help like motion activated lights but most criminals ignore them knowing they are automated. (They didn’t care about our lights being on) What you need is to be notified at that moment something is happening. There are some companies that make a motion activated light with camera, two way communication capabilities and an audible alarm that will notify you on your phone as soon as motion is detected. That will give you some choices in the instant the situation arises. THAT is the game changer in this scenario. The second idea I came up with if you really want to pursue the situation is to use a small GPS tracker and place it inconspicuously on a easily identifiable item you own. Make sure you can identify said item by Model# and Serial# or by an engraving with name on it. If and when item is stolen you then have the means to notify the proper authorities immediately and how to locate said item. This in my opinion is the only way this situation can be handled without placing ones self in danger of physical harm or judicial penalty. Of course there could be 1000 different other ways but this is what i came up with.

2. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have motion activated camera/lights covering my driveway, they notify me through my phone with an alert.
    The only problem is, neighborhood cats and dogs might set it off 2-5 times a night. So I have the audio alert turned off, unless I want to get woken up 2-5 times a night.

Southpaw likes this.
  3. perfor8

perfor8 Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Kemah
    It should be legal to shoot thieves in the act. Money, and/or valuables (stuff) is a proxy for human labor. Labor is man-hours consisting of time. My life is a block of time. Any theft of my stuff is a theft of my time, and a portion of my life. It's moral and ethical to defend your property - it just ain't legal. One shouldn't confuse legal/illegal for right/wrong.

Dad_Roman, TheMailMan, Sam7sf and 3 others like this.
  4. Sublime

Sublime Active Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    It all goes back to layers of protection. Sure lock your car if it is left out. Add lighting and cameras. Secure perimeter. Have a dog. Make it as unappealing as possible so they go somewhere else.
    I didn't listen to my dog one time. In the morning, I found a set of keys by the outer sun room door. I spoke to my neighbor who owns the keys. It appears a BF of an ex GF had the wrong house.

That said, IF you confront a thief at night in TX with a gun, know Chapter 9 pretty well, have a plan, and watch for the trailing accomplice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

upload_2019-6-15_11-56-31.jpeg

6. candcallen

candcallen Active Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    How about not leaving valuables in your otherwise insured car?

Thieves are infuriating for sure.

7. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Active Member

For when the car is right outside your house, put one of those wireless driveway motion detectors in it and the receiver in the house.

8. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Be sure to locate them above animal height...

9. candcallen

candcallen Active Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Ohhhh I'm so resisting animal and hight and stacked sheit jokes.

ZX9RCAM likes this.
  10. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    TXI in a landslide