DK Firearms

What to do about scumbags checking car doors at night?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    So recently a group of assholes has been going around checking for unlocked car doors so they can steal shit.

I'm pretty pissed off because they checked my wife's car (maybe stole a box cutter). I saw a group of 3 of them the other night, and later found out that 3 pricks got into the neighbors car, so it was most likely them.

What can I legally do to cause as many problems for these assholes as possible?
    Can they sue me if I glue razor blades to the door handles?
    It is probably covered in the trap gun law.
    ARJ Defense ad

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    That is not an absolute and not true the simple way you post it.

The law uses important words like "reasonably believes" and "immediately necessary" and "imminent commission"

And to justify the use of deadly force to protect property one must reasonably believe that one of the 2 below conditions exists

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
    (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
    Disabled homeowner in a wheelchair (for example) who is the victim likely "ticks" all the appropriate PC Ch. 9 boxes there, TxI. Just saying. One who can't pursue and who can't fight, and who is having their shît stolen at night gets a pass on that. I bring up the point because not all victims are fleet of foot or good with their fists . . . and calling 9-1-1 does NOT significantly raise the likelihood of protecting/recovering the property.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Well it should be theft and criminal mischief at night, not burglary. Honestly, proving those 2 elements would be reasonably simple. Awhile back, a guy came out of his apt with an AK and capped a guy stealing his wheels. Not indicted in Dallas Co. though times change with new elected leaders.

Know the law, follow the law, and have good representation. Thieves and vandals losing their lives does not bother me at all.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Disabled homeowner in a wheelchair (for example) who is the victim likely "ticks" all the appropriate PC Ch. 9 boxes there, TxI. Just saying. One who can't pursue and who can't fight, and who is having their shît stolen at night gets a pass on that. I bring up the point because not all victims are fleet of foot or good with their fists . . . and calling 9-1-1 does NOT significantly raise the likelihood of protecting/recovering the property.
    I dont see your point. Did the guy I quote mention a disabled guy in a wheelchair, or did he make a blanket statement that is hugely misleading?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Well it should be theft and criminal mischief at night, not burglary. Honestly, proving those 2 elements would be reasonably simple. Awhile back, a guy came out of his apt with an AK and capped a guy stealing his wheels. Not indicted in Dallas Co. though times change with new elected leaders.

Know the law, follow the law, and have good representation. Thieves and vandals losing their lives does not bother me at all.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    Right, because burglary isn't restricted to nighttime. And if you want to be specific and we are talking about vehicles, 9.42 (deadly force to protect property) doesn't cover burglary of a vehicle, it only covers burglary, a separate offense that does not cover vehicles.

And I believe if you post the facts of the AK case you will see they were specific and not common.

It is foolish to risk your freedom over stuff. But you do you. I don't know you, and don't have to defend you in court.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    And I believe if you post the facts of the AK case you will see they were specific and not common.

It is foolish to risk your freedom over stuff. But you do you. I don't know you, and don't have to defend you in court.

I am confused - what do you mean the case was specific and not common? Well some don't like their crap stolen...at night. Could you defend me in court? I thought you were an LEO Inv. and not an attorney.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    So recently a group of assholes has been going around checking for unlocked car doors so they can steal shit.

I'm pretty pissed off because they checked my wife's car (maybe stole a box cutter). I saw a group of 3 of them the other night, and later found out that 3 pricks got into the neighbors car, so it was most likely them.

What can I legally do to cause as many problems for these assholes as possible?
    Can they sue me if I glue razor blades to the door handles?
    CE0303EB-A800-46D4-A09D-400ACCA3967D.jpeg

Attachments

• CE0303EB-A800-46D4-A09D-400ACCA3967D.jpeg
      CE0303EB-A800-46D4-A09D-400ACCA3967D.jpeg
      25.4 KB · Views: 547

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    EDIT - My apologies for the long winded post, I used voice to txt and dictated it, apparently I talk to damn much. Suprising since it took just a few minutes to say it and proof it.

ok.....I was transferred to Ft Huachuca for a few months of training and our guys were assigned "temporary" quarters on the back half of a floor in a 3 story barracks of noobs in MOS school. We were putting in a lot of time and long days and weekends were the norm the first couple of weeks. A week or so later shit started come up missing. Nothing serious, but stuff that was high dollar on your own nickle; and shirts, shoes, sock, hats, the kind of stuff you could gank easily. Items that disappeared quick was issue jungle boots, nomex balaclavas, gloves and hoodies.

Here we are, losing our shit to pussy ass pogues, and Mr butter bar wont do shit about it. Being devious is as important as good shooting when your training and operational doctrine is breaking shit in someone elses backyard. We had a weekend off and having to take all our shit with us pissed us off. We check into a hotel, brainstorm over a couple cases of brews and shots, and was pleasantly suprised when some strippers knocked on the door that our training cadre hooked up. We hit some bars, ending up at one place where we sat on the patio. We partied till closing and when the lights came on, I saw that the thick vegetation was poison ivy. Being intimately aquainted with poison ivy/genitalia interaction and NBC training, it took a millisecond to realize I had a bad ass chemical weapon and could use it with impunity. I pointed it outand they were all over it when I told them what I had in mind and what that shit would accomplish

Next day we picked up some large heavy duty trashbags, a cheap blender and a small handheld sprayer with an adjustable tip. I MOPPed up, stripped the leaves off the vines, and blended it up with a little liquid soap to emulsify the oils and act as a surfactant so it would spread evenly and adhere to a smooth or non porous surface. I filled up the spray bottle and poured the rest in a couple of issue canteens, picked up a couple sets of gloves and hoodies from the PX along with a few other items and went back to the barracks to make a show of our new shit when they were entering the building.

We talked shit about our schwag in the recce room, chowhall, walked around running our mouths about all our cool toys. And left it at that.

That night, I MOPPd up in the armory, carefully slice open the packaging along the seam, then proceeded to soak the shit out of the gloves, the hoodies, all of it, then poured some inside the gloves and fingers and laid them out to dry.

Couple days later, I put them back in the package, set them out so they'd be seen when they entered the barracks and dressed out for PT, then hauled ass. Sure enough, when we got back to our room later that night, the shit was gone. Jackin their ass up wasnt the end of it. We wanted to out their ass and wanted it bad. Not to confront or resort to violence. Who snags new schwag without trying it on? Its human nature. Happy as hell, got something cool for free, fk yea theyre gonna try it on. Covered with some shit they dont know is there. I have yet to meet a man that uses his feet to shave, piss, scratch his sac, or wipe his ass. And the culprits hands were just the appetizer. His ass has a main course coming.

Needless to say, two people on our floor were sent to sick call. We ID'd their bunks and sprayed the shit out of their bunk, pillows, sheets, blankets, lockers, door knobs, everything they'd touch.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Douchebags laying in wait to steal our stuff, seems a bit much for me......
    Do you know what laying in wait means? It's an actual legal concept codified into law in most places and can be an aggravating factor in determining if you committed a crime.

Many places include it as a death penalty qualifier. Even my joke about waiting in the car to scare the bastards might open you to liability depending on what happens. No I dont need a stand your ground lesson. Setting a trap to catch or hurt punks trying door handles isnt coverd by the intent or spirit of those laws and is exactly the kind of bs that will get them curtailed.

We all hate thieves and they certainly deserve bad sheit to happen to them but if you think laying in wait to basically shoot them over the bait of your unlocked car is legal or even a good idea I strongly suggest you reevaluate you level of use of force knowledge.

More importantly, shooting someone, or attempting to create the opportunity to do so, over insured property in these instances calls into question ones character IMHO.

But by all means you do what you think is best.

By the way oil based pepper spray is a gift that keeps on giving every time they sweat or get wet for a day or so and the UV dye last longer than that. Just saying.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Good Lord, is not possible to accept ones opinion for what it is? Their fkn right, the right to think for themselves, Who the fk say's we all have to think alike?

You like brunettes? Your a fkn idiot, blondes are hotter, better in bed, and give the best head. And so what if they're dumb, I'm not screwing their brain.

Sounds stupid as fk. Tends to happen when intolerant of opposing opinion

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Good Lord, is not possible to accept ones opinion for what it is? Their fkn right, the right to think for themselves, Who the fk say's we all have to think alike?

You like brunettes? Your a fkn idiot, blondes are hotter, better in bed, and give the best head. And so what if they're dumb, I'm not screwing their brain.

Sounds stupid as fk. Tends to happen when intolerant of opposing opinion
    Not being a yes man and responding with a counterpoint is not intolerance it's a discussion.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I didn't say or advocate any of that....anywhere,

You..... assume...... way too much..........

Were you lying in wait to attack me?

I'm editing this post....

Did it ever occur to you that my quoting you was just an innocent (albeit evidently piss poor) attempt at sarcastic humor?

Do you know what laying in wait means? It's an actual legal concept codified into law in most places and can be an aggravating factor in determining if you committed a crime.

Many places include it as a death penalty qualifier. Even my joke about waiting in the car to scare the bastards might open you to liability depending on what happens. No I dont need a stand your ground lesson. Setting a trap to catch or hurt punks trying door handles isnt coverd by the intent or spirit of those laws and is exactly the kind of bs that will get them curtailed.

We all hate thieves and they certainly deserve bad sheit to happen to them but if you think laying in wait to basically shoot them over the bait of your unlocked car is legal or even a good idea I strongly suggest you reevaluate you level of use of force knowledge.

More importantly, shooting someone, or attempting to create the opportunity to do so, over insured property in these instances calls into question ones character IMHO.

But by all means you do what you think is best.

By the way oil based pepper spray is a gift that keeps on giving every time they sweat or get wet for a day or so and the UV dye last longer than that. Just saying.

Last edited:

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Curb stomp comes to mind.
    Well he did go to prison for that in the movie....
    Had he just shot him, he probably would have been alright.
    The black community seems to favor protesting in favor of black criminals

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Very simple and basic at our house. We lock our cars & turn on alarms. Beyond that? They can have at it. Depending on where we are they’ll probably be on camera if they break into my cars & we will prosecute to the full extent the law will allow.

I’ve had things stolen out of cars in the past but not in a long time. Locking your car and utilize an alarm if equipped seems to work in most of these situations.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom