What to do what to do

Fishkiller

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jul 22, 2019
Frederickburg
Currently I have a Browning Citori featherweight with an English stock. However there is no reoil pad, just the piece of plastic, And shooting it for doves or clays is a real pain. actual pain. I have tried it as well as several friends on clays and we all agree that this is not the gun to shoot without some extra protection.. For pheasants or other birds it is not so bad as you only shoot once in a while. So my dilemma, put on an after market recoil pad or buy a newer shotgun? The problem is to add the recoil pad requires lopping off part of the stock and potentially chipping the finish. Or buy a new gun. Now since I am a bit on the cheep side, a new gun will run me $1600+ and a recoil pad is about $50. So do i cut or not cut? opinions please.

Axxe55

MIA-BOLO.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dec 15, 2019
Texas
You could try a couple of things if you like the shotgun, but just recoil shy.

Try a universal slip-on recoil pad. No modifications needed to the shotgun. Or if weather permits, a shooting jacket or vest with the padded shoulders for shotgun hunters.

If you are not liking the shotgun, go with Todd's advice, trade it.

LaborLawPaul

TGT Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jun 16, 2021
North Texas
You might try one of these.
1626308531213.png

CyberWolf

TGT Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aug 22, 2018
US
Well my problem is I like the looks and want to pass this on to number 1 grandson. So trade is a no go. Slip on pad doesn’t work for me, I’m just picky
So I will continue to mull this over
Does it have a buttplate (plastic/whatever) with screws? Got a pic?

V-Tach

TGT Addict
Forum Sponsor
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sep 30, 2012
Texas
If the gun "fits" you now, unless you cut the stock, adding a pad will not be comfortable unless you lop off the stock.....

Adding a mercury recoil reducer, you only have to drill a hole in the stock which will not change the LOP or anything to change the way it fits you. It will add weight, though.... No one will see the hole under the butt plate.

Changing the LOP now, may or may not fit the grandson in the future and one cannot add wood once it's been cut......yes he can replace the stock later if necessary, but usually the new buttstock will not match the forend well and both end up being replaced.

Personally, I would buy another shotgun and leave the Citori as is.....

A quality pad and professional install is probably a bit more than $50.00...it is around here, anyway....

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
If you don't like shooting it your grandson won't either. It may even stump his interest if it causes him pain.

It's just a gun. Trade it off.

Products discussed on TGT

Top Bottom