• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Currently I have a Browning Citori featherweight with an English stock. However there is no reoil pad, just the piece of plastic, And shooting it for doves or clays is a real pain. actual pain. I have tried it as well as several friends on clays and we all agree that this is not the gun to shoot without some extra protection.. For pheasants or other birds it is not so bad as you only shoot once in a while. So my dilemma, put on an after market recoil pad or buy a newer shotgun? The problem is to add the recoil pad requires lopping off part of the stock and potentially chipping the finish. Or buy a new gun. Now since I am a bit on the cheep side, a new gun will run me $1600+ and a recoil pad is about $50. So do i cut or not cut? opinions please.
    Hurley's Gold

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    You could try a couple of things if you like the shotgun, but just recoil shy.

Try a universal slip-on recoil pad. No modifications needed to the shotgun. Or if weather permits, a shooting jacket or vest with the padded shoulders for shotgun hunters.

If you are not liking the shotgun, go with Todd's advice, trade it.

LaborLawPaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2021
    North Texas
    You might try one of these.
    1626308531213.png

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Well my problem is I like the looks and want to pass this on to number 1 grandson. So trade is a no go. Slip on pad doesn’t work for me, I’m just picky
    So I will continue to mull this over
    Does it have a buttplate (plastic/whatever) with screws? Got a pic?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    If the gun "fits" you now, unless you cut the stock, adding a pad will not be comfortable unless you lop off the stock.....

Adding a mercury recoil reducer, you only have to drill a hole in the stock which will not change the LOP or anything to change the way it fits you. It will add weight, though.... No one will see the hole under the butt plate.

Changing the LOP now, may or may not fit the grandson in the future and one cannot add wood once it's been cut......yes he can replace the stock later if necessary, but usually the new buttstock will not match the forend well and both end up being replaced.

Personally, I would buy another shotgun and leave the Citori as is.....

A quality pad and professional install is probably a bit more than $50.00...it is around here, anyway....

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If you don't like shooting it your grandson won't either. It may even stump his interest if it causes him pain.

It's just a gun. Trade it off.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I would order a "limb-saver" (measure the end stock) and see if it helps. Seems like a logical 1st option.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Is there a chance of a third party stock that could be used instead. Then keep the original in safe keeping. Then do what you want with it. Like this maybe:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Currently I have a Browning Citori featherweight with an English stock. However there is no reoil pad, just the piece of plastic, And shooting it for doves or clays is a real pain. actual pain. I have tried it as well as several friends on clays and we all agree that this is not the gun to shoot without some extra protection.. For pheasants or other birds it is not so bad as you only shoot once in a while. So my dilemma, put on an after market recoil pad or buy a newer shotgun? The problem is to add the recoil pad requires lopping off part of the stock and potentially chipping the finish. Or buy a new gun. Now since I am a bit on the cheep side, a new gun will run me $1600+ and a recoil pad is about $50. So do i cut or not cut? opinions please.
    Get a shooting jacket with shoulder protection or if you really want to go cheap buy a box of Maxi-Pads. Why destroy such a nice gun!

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Buy a used stock , fit with recoil pad adjusted to your length of pull- then put the original back on for looks , value and heirloom

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I’m in agreement with those that suggested that you trade the gun away.
    A lightweight or feather light shotgun will Never be a good target gun. It’s designed to be carried a lot and shot a little.
    A target gun is heavier and meant to be shot all day in relative comfort.

Top Bottom