ARJ Defense ad

What to do with my suppressors when I am gone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    The simplest way is to name someone as beneficiary for those specific items (in your trust(s)). Upon your passing, they can be transferred tax-free on Form 5s. The NFA Branch will run the background check on them before issuing the stamps.
    Target Sports

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Depends on the can. ;) buddy of mine has a .30 cal SureFire can with untold thousands of rounds through it and it is just as solid as the day he got it out of jail.
    One of the reasons I went with the DeadAir Sandman was the machine gun torture tests they put them through.
    Of course, they are $1k + suppressors but you get what you pay for.
    My Knights Armament Company MP5 can is another. Even if one does not own a machine gun a machine gun rated can just makes sense to me.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    The way you were hugging the G3K I thought you might of wanted some time alone in the room with it!

That was a very expensive can when I bought it. It just adds to the value of the MP5K! I need at least 1 MagPul drum now for it.
    Some guys like red heads, some it’s Asians. I’ve got a thing for HKs. :laughing:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I have a trust, just no one in particular personally who would want them. If I found a legitimate charity that was interested I may just add them as a beneficiary to the trust. Anyone know of any?

There's a local group here in New Braunfels that takes vets and handicapped out on hunts throughout the year. I'd be happy to put y'all in touch w/each other, just let me know.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Not in a cave, but yes sadly, no family or friends that are interested. I have tried several times to get into TSRA and have been unsuccessful due to various reasons. I am willing to pick a legitimate charity if anyone knows of one.

Reselling is hard due to finding someone willing to pony up the cash while the current owner holds both the cash and item until the tax stamp comes. When using a dealer people are willing to do this, not so much with an unknown individual. Also as stated above I don't think the dealer can hold it either as the stamp is not in their name. When they are selling for $700 or so new they can't seem to command less than half that at best on resale, especially when as the buyer you get nothing until the stamp comes.

If the items are in a Trust, all you need to do to sell them is just add the buyer to the Trust.
    It's just that simple. The Trust owns the items to begin with.

If you are wanting to give them to a shooting club or charity, do the same thing. Just add them onto your Trust and there's no other paper work or taxes involved.

If you have them on Individual stamps, then just leave them to a beneficiary in a Will, and the BATFE will transfer them to whomever you leave them to.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    If you are wanting to give them to a shooting club or charity, do the same thing. Just add them onto your Trust and there's no other paper work or taxes involved.

I will run that idea by a lawyer, sounds okay. I prefer to give them to a reputable recognized charity if possible. Times change so this may not even work.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Nope. Somehow I want them duly noted as to where they went. I wouldn't want any repercussions on my wife about what happened to them. Charitable contribution to a good recognized organization or turn it in to the ATF. My wife or others will be doing this after my passing and they shouldn't have to try too hard. Of course if the laws change and a stamp is no longer required, anyone can have it (For a few dollars of course).

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Nope. Somehow I want them duly noted as to where they went. I wouldn't want any repercussions on my wife about what happened to them. Charitable contribution to a good recognized organization or turn it in to the ATF. My wife or others will be doing this after my passing and they shouldn't have to try too hard. Of course if the laws change and a stamp is no longer required, anyone can have it (For a few dollars of course).

Also...as a charitable donation, the value can be deducted from the value of the estate.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    The only things in my estate are guns & cans and my circle is one daughter & one stepson. Everyone else on my trust is SOL. Wannabes are F’d also.

lobo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Texas
    I formed a trust when I started. My son's are added to my trust so when the time comes, they can just take over ownership.

Top Bottom