• ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Learn me ...

What's the difference in keeping a found gun and taking possession of a gun from a private sale with no legal transfer?

Other than actually meeting someone for a FTF transfer and an exchange of funds, what's the difference?
    In a private sale, the buyer really doesn't know for a certainty that the gun is legal and an exchange of funds doesn't legally entitle you to anything without some sort of paper trail. The assumption is everything is legit.

In the case of a found gun, the assumption is just the opposite.

So I really can't follow the logic of doing away with a found gun and no problems buying a gun privately.

I'm not advocating either way ... just learn me something today.

If you find a boat hidden in tall brush on property you just purchased, does that make the boat belong to you?
    Venture Surplus ad

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    IMHO, these situations aren't always as black and white as you are implying. Where do you draw the line? Are you going to look for the owner of a penny you find in the parking lot? I think doing something like was previously posted - asking pawncop about it is sufficient due diligence to ascertain the history of the gun.

NMTMarksman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    In any case let us know what you find out about the gun. It would be interesting to see what kind of a story this gun could tell.

nlghthawk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    San Antonio
    I have asked PAWNCOP to look it up and have given him the SN an make. I don't have a problem owning it as long as its not illegal because of being in possession of stolen property. If Pawncop can tell me its not stolen then I will have price of mind owning it. Its an H&K so its not a POS pistol. Pawncop said he would look it up when he gets back to work so we will all know soon.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    For those who are holier than though, I asked from a legal point and not a moral one.

So put away your 10 commandment tablets with a certificate of authenticity taped to the box they came in.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    If it's not stolen, keep it, it would be impossible to find the original owner... If by some stroke of dumb luck you run across a guy who decided to put a gun under the spare tire of a rental, and it's his gun. Give it back.
    There is no reason to hand it over to the gubbermint...

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    Good Point. I appreciate your nobility, if it were my gun I would want it back....But the police will confiscate it make an attempt to contact the registered owner...then once they fail, they will destroy the gun....Can you put it to better use than local steel mill? I think so.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    How does that make it different? You either believe you can keep anything you find without regard for whether it belongs to someone else or you don't.

Car rental companies usually have clauses about lost or forgotten property. Guy left his gun in the car. Rental company doesn't know about it and by the terms of the contract takes ownership. Friend buys the car, and all property in it. Friend gives gun to OP. What's the problem? Is it just because it's a gun? Sounds like a good score.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Also, if you are going to go through all the trouble to steal a gun, why would you leave it in a rent a car, a car that can be traced back to you and literally all your information?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    For those who are holier than though, I asked from a legal point and not a moral one.

So put away your 10 commandment tablets with a certificate of authenticity taped to the box they came in.
    :roflfunny: :beat::roflfunny:

nighthawk, you're handling it as well as possible. No need to make an exhaustive search for the owner IMO.

nlghthawk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    San Antonio
    Ok, latest info...it is not stolen!! I am a happy camper.

For anyone curious it is an H&K P2000 9mm.

It had a lot of rust on all areas not protested by the coating used on the slide. I have stripped it down, cleaned it up and will need to replace the barrel because of corrosion.

Thanks PAWNCOP!

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Good for you!

If mine, I would not try to make it a safe queen but rather a fully functional *work* gun. Enjoy.

nlghthawk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    San Antonio
    After I got a lot of the rust out of the internals the trigger is smooth...and I like the exposed hammer without external safeties. Its had abotu 100 rounds through the barrell as it sits, but the corrosion pitting is something I am anal about

TexCzech

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    South Texas
    Well that definitely worked out in your favor ! Gonna start checking every one of my rentals from now on , my luck I'd end up with some Logan .380 !

Savva

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    You could probably take the serial number and go to the police dept and see if they can help you.

Top Bottom