Target Sports

What topics would you like to see covered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I know there are several newer instructors here. Just figured I'd make a post and see if there are things you guys would like to see covered, questions you have about anything, questions about different aspects of business, etc.? There are also some fairly experienced instructors here as well, so lets answer those questions! :-)
    ARJ Defense ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have before, though it kind of depends on the context and what you mean. For example, I like to try to have at least one point during a class where each student can gain some confidence and feel encouraged about their performance (and not a false sense of self-confidence either). I normally "read" the student and tend to change things up on the fly, based on what I'm seeing from them, and figuring out how we can accomplish that. For example, I've had students where I've been able to tell that they actually have an excellent degree of accuracy, though they may not realize it. So I might have them shoot a B-8 bullseye for score, or I might have them at closer range shoot a 1" circle or square if I think they can accomplish it. Multiple times I've done this, they made the shot, and then I take a second to reinforce it and remind them something to the effect of, "You know, when you think you're having a tough time at the range, just remember, YOU picked out that little 1" target, and YOU shot that target! So you know you can do it. You've already done it!" That's just one example. Other times, I've taken a second to call out certain students that I see really excelling at something, such as having a really clean drawstroke. If I feel they're up to it, I may even have them do a quick demo for the class, and explain to them as well as everyone else how/why they're doing such a great job with it.

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    How about a polling of what people think are basic, intermediate or advanced skills, and in what category?

How people work a student past a sticking point or a significantly problematic issue with a student. Not what they heard helps, what another instructor has seen work.

Top Bottom