Texas SOT

What training class would you recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ranguyen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Hi everyone,

I recently started going to firearm training classes. I want to get better at handguns and expand my horizons and get better at rifles and shotguns. I already took 21 st century and Haley Strategic Handgun One classes. What other classes/teachers are good in the TX area?
    Thanks!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Any of the trainers you see on this forum are going to give you a good class. That's probably not very helpful, but that's where it is.

I don't see a location on your post, but what I'd suggest is finding a trainer from this forum that's local and paying them a visit.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Special Operations Systems offers excellent classes. They train LEOs, military, contractors, and civilians, and the instructors have a wealth of REAL world experience in the craft.

Shoot Smart in N Ft Worth has shorter, less expensive classes, but they are relevant and intense.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Two that I would recommend the most here in Texas:

Advanced Firearms and Tactical Training Central Texas Shooting School - Kenan Flasowski

Criterion Tactical | Real World Experience for Real Life Application - Kelly Venden

These are long time former members of the US Army's (and the world's) most elite hostage rescue unit, 1SFOD-D. Best part about these guys is, even though they have true superhero backgrounds, they are adaptive, which seems to be a common theme with many former members of this Unit. I've taken several classes from these guys, and will continue to take many more in the future. Both are a wealth of knowledge. I think it is a true testament to an instructor's skill when they can custom tailor the material to fit the specific student's needs. Being able to go from being an experienced CQB master blaster to teaching new women shooters how to ROCK their pistols says a lot.

Although I don't have video from one of Kelly's class, here's a couple vids I made from some of Kenan's classes:

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Suarez has added a few classes to the Houston area this year, which I will be attending one or two. The others mentioned sound like great options too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Tactical Pistol in Brookshire, Texas on Sunday....

I know it's late notice and I've not been on TGT lately....I'm running a Tactical Pistol course on Sunday, near Brookshire, Texas. If you are interested contact me: criterion01@gmail.com

Or, if you or have a group desiring training on pistol, carbine, or shotgun give me a shout and we'll set it up!

Hello, Thanks for your response. I am from Houston. I can try to ask around!

ranguyen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I haven't been to TGT in a while due to a busy schedule at work...do you have a website I can go to? Thanks!

I know it's late notice and I've not been on TGT lately....I'm running a Tactical Pistol course on Sunday, near Brookshire, Texas. If you are interested contact me: criterion01@gmail.com

Or, if you or have a group desiring training on pistol, carbine, or shotgun give me a shout and we'll set it up!

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Thanks! I'll look at my schedule and try to stock up on ammo.
    We are making adjustments on the round counts for the classes as we speak. 22lr conversions/trainers are welcome to be used in my classes. I see the benefit in them and use a dedicated CMMG upper on my ARs as well as an Advantage Arms 19/23 kit for my Glocks. If a 22lr trainer is the route you want to go; I suggest using the full caliber for the first couple of times you run a drill and then switch to the 22lr trainer once you have it down. I completed a 4 day 1400 round course with Roger Phillips last year. 900 of the rounds were 22lr the other 500 were 9mm.

Top Bottom