ARJ Defense ad

What type of shells does everyone use for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I thought about putting this in our ammunition section, but I though it might be more prudent here.

I have a Maverick 88 pump that I am considering keeping around for home defense. I've fired many types of shot and slugs through it, but I am sort of lost when it comes to buckshot brands/types. I have a box of 3" Remington 00 buck, a box of Hornady TAP 2 3/4" 00 buck and a few Winchester 3" 00 buck. I bought the Hornady rounds today because I got a decent deal on them, but they are shorter than the other buckshot I have. I have 3" BB steel shot and slugs too but neither really seems correct for home defense.

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    I use #4 buck in my shorty and #1 buck in the long stocks. Decent caliber and pellet count.

REM.jpg

Droopy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Folks,

At this website, our Canadian friends have provided what I think is a definitive review of various shotgun loads and the relative effects in ballistic gel.

The concerns of over-penetration aside, their opinion is that #1 buck is the most effective tactical load.

Having provided this, I am still loading 00 buck in my house. Just haven't grabbed any #1 yet.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I just got a load of the Winchester Military Grade #00 buckshot everyone has right now. After ordering it, I found it seems that it may be a pretty hot load. Somewhere > 1300 fps. It's likely going to give my Knoxx stock a workout.

It's probably not the best for home defense but we'll see how it compares to the other stuff I have. I may end up with some reduced recoil stuff since I shoot a pump action and 1100 fps might just make a big enough difference in penetration.

Top Bottom