Capitol Armory ad

What types of training topics would you like to see addressed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What type of training would you be interested in? (select all that apply)

• Basic pistol skills

Votes: 22 59.5%
    • Basic rifle skills

Votes: 17 45.9%
    • Fighting pistol

Votes: 29 78.4%
    • Fighting rifle

Votes: 16 43.2%
    • Team tactics

Votes: 11 29.7%
    • CQB

Votes: 17 45.9%
    • Force on force training

Votes: 19 51.4%
    • Concealed carry tactics

Votes: 25 67.6%
    • Other (Please post specifics if something isn't on the list)

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm interested in a get together. Either dinner or lead-slinging.

I'd most like to work on my distance shooting with a rifle. Anyone know of a place to shoot 600+ yards that is close to Austin?

There is Tiger Valley out in Waco, and they go out to 1000yds, though I've heard they usually only open up the 1000yd section for events so it may be only ~500-600yds most of the time:

Tiger Valley
    Hurley's Gold

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Being as it is my life and perspective now, I'd love to see/do some training with a limb down. I'm one arm all the time and I kind of have to adapt drills or common techniques.

I realize it'd be pretty specialized, but I want a training course specifically geared for one arm people only. The demographics are changing, especially with wounded Vets coming from Iraq. Lots more tripods and bipods around who do carry.

Ok, that's the selfish in me talking. And also the caught-off-guard consequences.

I think I'm looking for a Shorts only training time

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Being as it is my life and perspective now, I'd love to see/do some training with a limb down. I'm one arm all the time and I kind of have to adapt drills or common techniques.

I realize it'd be pretty specialized, but I want a training course specifically geared for one arm people only. The demographics are changing, especially with wounded Vets coming from Iraq. Lots more tripods and bipods around who do carry.

Ok, that's the selfish in me talking. And also the caught-off-guard consequences.

I think I'm looking for a Shorts only training time

That's not selfish at all, and I absolutely LOVE the idea! I've practiced shooting one-handed with both my primary and support arms, and have done just a little bit of practice reloading one-handed with either arm. I think it is a very important skill to master.

There was a sad LEO shooting video awhile back, and I believe it was a Texas LEO. The officer emptied his gun at the attacker, but the attacker kept coming. I don't remember all the details but, long story short the LEO had run away and, I think, had already been hit once or twice and was now sitting/kneeling out in a field off the road with his empty gun. IIRC, I believe one of his arms was injured by one of the attacker's rounds, and I guess no one had ever taught him how to reload one-handed. So he just froze up with his emptied sidearm and begged the guy to spare his life, and the attacker executed him. It's a sad story, as training could have saved this officer's life. It really drives the point home that determination is EVERYTHING. You run out of ammo, you get injured, you lose the use of an appendage....no matter what happens just fight to the death and fight dirty. Even if one of my arms and legs gets injured, my gun is empty from expending all my ammo and reloads, my gun is broken to pieces from pistol whipping the hell out of the attacker with it, and if he still keeps coming, I will still punch/kick/stab/headbutt with whatever I can until I take my last breath.

jay524288

Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX

I think that's a great idea. It seems like more trainers are incorporating wounded shooter drills in their classes.

I don't know if it's close to you, but Karl Rehn (KR Training home page) sometimes runs a class that consists only of wounded shooter / one handed work.

pwrincross

May 24, 2009
    Pflugerville,TX
    I personally knew a LEO that got into a shootout in the lobby of a courthouse/police office in a small town. A man walked in while the LEO was standing down the hall in the doorway half in and half out talking to the dispatcher. He was the detective and had a beautiful 1911 on his hip. The bad guy walked in and shot the receptionist and a JP that was visiting at her desk. He killed the JP instantly. The LEO heard the shots and looked down the hallway and saw the perp. He drew his gun and emptied his gun into him. The perp returned fire. He hit the LEO twice. The LEO said that the blood on his hands from his wounds made reloading the gun very difficult. He couldn’t get a grip on the magazine to pull it out of his holder and when he did get it out it was difficult to manipulate because of the slippery nature of blood and the adrenaline. He and the perp were both prone on the floor firing at each other. The LEO hit the perp 12 times with the final shot being a deliberate, slow, specifically aimed shot to the head. The LEO was hit twice. Shooting in the prone position, reloading with one hand, all of these scenarios are important to practice because you never know when a life or death situation will occur. Just a note: The LEO is fine and dandy now. He is retired as this shooting took place about 25 years ago.
    By the way, when are we going to eat again. I am starting to get hungry.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Is there a specific sign-up or, Sig, are you waiting to get closer to an actual date to get a participation list together? I'm interested.

Ish

Sorry, I just haven't had time lately and have been working a lot. I have the next few days off, so I'm going to work on finalizing the course plan for our first training meet, which is going to be sort of a Basic Pistol/entry level fighting pistol type of class. Hopefully I should have all the details finalized by the end of the week and I'll get a date figured out for the event.

Also, just fyi, I wasn't setting this group up entirely just for me and for me to run everything alone. I just thought I'd get the ball rolling with some stuff I'd like to see. If anyone else has some things they are experienced with and would like to setup some of their own events (especially if you have land in which to do so), feel free to do so here. My whole point in trying to organize this group was to have a bunch of like-minded people, that want to train, meet up a bit more regularly and practice various drills, maybe learn some new things from each other etc. Think of it as informal training and practice. Eventually, if I'm able to find someone that has property (or a range) they are willing to let us use regularly, one of my goals is to host some instructors so we can start getting a wide variety of professional instruction. There's a bunch of great instructors that are here in Texas or that visit Texas often, though most seem to be far from Austin (usually DFW area, Houston, etc).

Ishtacka

Apr 23, 2008
    Dickinson, Tx
    I think just being able to procure a location where one can move and shoot would be a help for a group like we are wanting. If someone has some "remote" property or something along those lines, I think that would be awesome.

my .02,
    Ish

Top Bottom