Military Camp

What types of training topics would you like to see addressed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What type of training would you be interested in? (select all that apply)

• Basic pistol skills

Votes: 22 59.5%
    • Basic rifle skills

Votes: 17 45.9%
    • Fighting pistol

Votes: 29 78.4%
    • Fighting rifle

Votes: 16 43.2%
    • Team tactics

Votes: 11 29.7%
    • CQB

Votes: 17 45.9%
    • Force on force training

Votes: 19 51.4%
    • Concealed carry tactics

Votes: 25 67.6%
    • Other (Please post specifics if something isn't on the list)

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Everyone interested, please post up what topics you would like to see addressed at future meetings. Basically, what type of training would you like to participate in? Once we have a list of these things, then we can set some goals and figure out what needs to be done to achieve them.
    DK Firearms

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Everything. I'd love to learn some hand-to-hand and knife stuff, too.

I'm one of those weirdos who think learning is fun.

Firearms maintenance might not be a horrible thing to teach/learn, either. I know there's a lot of different info that may or may not be accurate floating around out there. Be nice to share what works and what doesn't with each other.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I think some 3-gun stuff would be fun as hell and would expose weaknesses that everyone needs to work on. I know I am not fast at all with a shotgun in terms of loading it.

I'm decent with a pistol and rifle.

jay524288

Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There are two other subjects that I think should be addressed - first aid and legal matters. Being prepared for a gunfight includes being prepared for the consequences of a gunfight.

Everyone that shoots, especially people that carry a gun, should be familiar with first aid, including immediate treatment of gunshot wounds. Shooting ranges tend to be out in the country, far from hospitals. And people, often the good guy, get shot in gunfights. We should all know how to treat ourselves and others, just in case.

It might also be nice to get a defense attorney to come talk and answer questions. In the CHL courses, the instructors talk about the laws, but then say that we should talk to an attorney with any detailed questions. How many of us have?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not bad points.

I've actually talked to a few EMS types about handling gun shot wounds. The consensus was direct pressure and seek immediate attention. There probably isn't much else that can be done...

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Not bad points.

I've actually talked to a few EMS types about handling gun shot wounds. The consensus was direct pressure and seek immediate attention. There probably isn't much else that can be done...

If you are willing to spend the money for the quik clot products (not overly expensive) they are great... I know the military use them and several EMS providers do, we do not yet but have had a few patients (non GSW) that would also have benefited from these bandages.
    [url]www.quikclot.com[/URL]

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Definately interested in concealed carry techniques as I am new to this aspect and as alot of us have alot of questions as to methods, etc..

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If you are willing to spend the money for the quik clot products (not overly expensive) they are great... I know the military use them and several EMS providers do, we do not yet but have had a few patients (non GSW) that would also have benefited from these bandages.
    http://www.quikclot.com[url]www.quikclot.com[/URL]

Clotters aren't that expensive (I actually have a kit with a bag of Celox among other things within reach right now), but the EMS types I talked to scoffed at clotting agents. "Direct pressure is where it's at." They did admit that a clotting agent would be a good idea in the wilderness where help is far away, though. But that's several hours if not days.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Clotters aren't that expensive (I actually have a kit with a bag of Celox among other things within reach right now), but the EMS types I talked to scoffed at clotting agents. "Direct pressure is where it's at." They did admit that a clotting agent would be a good idea in the wilderness where help is far away, though. But that's several hours if not days.

Most of the bad rap quikclot and other products got was before they were produced in a bandage and were loose material poured into the wound, alot of the negatives have gone to the wayside since. Even with applying the "clotting bandage" you still need to apply direct pressure

I'm not saying that all patient's with a GSW should get this immediately but if you need it, it's better to have it there then to say man I could have used that.

The basics of shock management would be a good topic to cover, bleeding control, splinting, keeping the patient warm, signs and symptoms to look for, etc...

jay524288

Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Most of the bad rap quikclot and other products got was before they were produced in a bandage and were loose material poured into the wound, alot of the negatives have gone to the wayside since. Even with applying the "clotting bandage" you still need to apply direct pressure

That plus the fact that the older version of Quik Clot could cause burns and it got used _instead_ of direct pressure. Direct pressure should be tried first and only if it fails should the clotting products be used.

Celox has a product that is injectable and is supposed to work well for gunshot and knife wounds where the bleeding is deep inside the victim: Celox Products - Celox A

I've never used any of these clotting agents, so I'm only repeating what I've read about them.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Actually, thanks for bringing that up guys. That's another topic we could address in the future as well, emergency first-aid. It's always a good idea to know some life-saving tips and tricks, just in case.

So far it looks like pistol skills, force on force, and concealed carry are leading the charge, so we'll probably start off with some of those topics after we've gotten some basic pistol training and safety training out of the way.

Ranger60

Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I know we discussed a shooting get together in July but I would suggest at least another dinner meeting before then.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The basics of shock management would be a good topic to cover, bleeding control, splinting, keeping the patient warm, signs and symptoms to look for, etc...

.. yeah, it has been too long since I"ve gone over that stuff. Some of my info is possibly out of date, too.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I spoke with an attorney at the office my wife works at and she is willing to come to the next meeting and try to answer some questions for you.

I believe I phrased it when I asked her " Would you mind hanging out with a bunch of gun geeks" Her answer was "Sure , I would love to hang out with some gun geeks"

The group has to buy her dinner{ cheap consulting fee} and be nice.
    She is a criminal defense lawyer.

cpf3

Sep 14, 2008
    Sig Fiend:

Found these threads too late to get to the kick-off, but it's a great idea...even if a long way from Georgetown. Looking forward to meeting folks and getting more involved.

Chuck

bikerbill

Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    I'm looking mainly to sharpen my pistol and self-defense skills; don't own a rifle and sold my shotgun because I couldn't find any place to train with it ... looking forward to attending the next meeting.

NewTxn

Oct 20, 2008
    I'm interested in a get together. Either dinner or lead-slinging.

I'd most like to work on my distance shooting with a rifle. Anyone know of a place to shoot 600+ yards that is close to Austin?

Top Bottom