Target Sports

What Will You Never Believe Or Understand About Gun Owners...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    ...and what they do to or with their guns?

Over the years, I've seen a lot of strange things that folks have done to their guns, heard of odd ways they maintain them, read weird accounts of a gun owners tactical ideas, and on and on. Some I understand, others make me scratch my head and wonder what in Hades was that guy thinking! I figured a thread about what each of us finds unbelievable or beyond comprehension when it comes to guns & their owners could be amusing and maybe even informative.

So, I'll start with something I've never quite understood about some gun owners and that is when selling one or more of their used guns, they ask for way more than the selling price of the same exact model when brand spanking new. I don't know if it is greed or that they overpaid for it when they bought it but when someone asks for 10, 15, even 20% or more, for a used gun (with no improvements) over the selling price of the same new gun I just don't get it. Well, I do get it if you're married and she who must be obeyed told you to sell some of them or else; I mean ask way too much - get no buyers - explain to her you tried to sell it and show her the ad you posted. Otherwise though, it's a mystery to me how someone actually expects to find a buyer when doing that.
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I found that issue with used trailers a lot. People want to recoup some of their sales tax. I have to pay it to register it so why would I pay more than new prices for your used one?

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I understand - to some degree - about asking a high price. You can always come down in price; you can't go up.

What I fail to understand is how some people stick to a price. You ask $900 and someone offers $890, but you won't take it. Mental issue, I think.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Gun cleaning and lubrication!

A guy told me that HPD training academy told their rookies that if you don't have time to clean your revolver (at that time, all rookies had to have revolvers) just put it in the DISHWASHER and run it through a cleaning cycle. True or not, I'm sure someone did this.

My ex-father-in-law had a Mini-14 and he told me it quit working. I thought that was strange, as it's an extremely rugged and reliable weapon. Took it apart and I had to take a hammer to beat the charging handle out of the gas port. He NEVER cleaned it, but shot I don't know how many rounds. When I asked why, he said he never had cleaned the shotgun (a Breda) that he bought right after the Korean War and it worked fine. (I didn't tell him, but his son and others had quietly cleaned the shotgun without his knowing for decades.)

I see people who think lubricant is a waste of time - esp. those who heard that the military told people in the mideast wars not to put oil in their pistols, as it attracts the pervasive dust there. I've also seen people use oil to a point where you have to wipe off oil from your arms, face, hands, etc. when you try to shoot the thing. Some people just can't grasp the concept of what the oil is supposed to do, or that one even coat is enough.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    1. You’ll never get more than your asking price. Start where you want, accept less is realistic, but if you want $250 and ask $225 you’ll never get it. I once sold a plane on Craigslist for $2K more than I paid for it. Really was surprised and had expected to lose a few K on it but the first guy that contacted me wrote a good check less than a week after I posted it. Of course most that post here are pretty educated on the market, I’ve found.
    2. Some people haven’t kept up with the market. I got real sticker shock once when an AR I’d paid $700 for was suddenly equivalent to a $450 PSA model, or maybe worse
    3. Some people genuinely put value on an “off-the-record” ie. Non-FFL transaction and will pay a tad more for what they want that way.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    There's a post on another forum right now where somebody wants a smith to manufacture him a steel frame for an old Beretta .25 which came with an alloy frame. I have no idea why and I know better than to ask there. But damn, why?

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Guys that make weird mods to their gun like taking a soldering iron to the grip or some rattle can paint job and think that increases the price. "Well its custom now!"

When I used to own and ride motorcycles, I knew guys that would go buy a $25,000 Harley and add $5,000 or more of chrome, fringe, and other useless doodads and trinkets to it.

That’s all fine. But when they tried to sell it, they wanted full cost recovery including all the doodads, and couldn’t understand why it wouldn’t sell.

Same mindset. Different subject matter.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I hope that I can get more for my dad's 63 Python than what he paid for it. Guns are like anything else, it is worth what the buyer is willing to pay. I bought 2 AR7s years ago at Western Auto for $49 each and gave one to a friend. Today at a gunshow I saw a not so great one for sale for $300. If someone really wanted one and not the new Henry model they had the option of paying $300. I can't argue with that, supply and demand sets the price.

Top Bottom