Join TexasGunTalk

What Will You Never Believe Or Understand About Gun Owners...

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Glenn B, Jan 25, 2020.

1. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    But I'm still gonna rag the dang moonpie fella on his pissant Glockkk.
    I wonder about him sometimes.
    Glad I'm armed around him to.
    With a COLT .44
    With black powder.
    Just 'cause.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The Hornady ZMax 12ga was/is very effective on pigs out to 100 yards. Bought a bunch of it when it went on clearance. Almost out of it. Wish I had bought more.

zackmars likes this.
  3. Hoji

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    KSG is one of two unmodified shotties I have seen that will digest the mini shells without hiccups. Almost bought one for that reason alone. 17 rounds of buckshot without a reload( and the mini buckshot will kill a 50-70lb pig with a body shot at 20 feet ;) , as in dropped)

Southpaw likes this.
  4. zackmars

zackmars Well-Known

Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

Isn't the z-max stuff just repackage v-max loads?

5. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    No. The basic question was while we have all of these 1911 vs. Glock debates where are all the AR vs. whatever debates?

My response was stating that the AR doesn't have a more modern, affordable, and customizable counterpart to debate with.

roadapple, gll and ZX9RCAM like this.
  6. Hoji

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Pretty much. In rifle calibers it is the v-max that did not quite pass QC. The shotgun shells are the critical defense that did not quite make it.

Kind of like handgun ammo boxed in 20 round packages for “personal defense” at 2x cost are the “duty” rounds for LE that did not pass the QC for being duty rounds.

roadapple and zackmars like this.
  7. zackmars

zackmars Well-Known

Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Modern is a tricky word. Pretty much every 5.56 rifle that isn't an AR15 is just an AR18. There's only so many times you can repackage the same guts.

The real question is of the modern alternatives, the ACR, SCAR, Bren, ARX, etc what do they inherently do better? All you get is a folding stock, and more than a few companies are giving you that for AR15's.

8. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The other comparison killer is price. $300 will get you a serviceable AR15. That same money won't even begin to modify those others much less purchase one.

The aftermarket for the ACR fell flat on its face and the price to play for the SCAR is out of most buyer's reach.

$500 gets you into a Glock, 1911, or a variety of other dependable handguns.

Even a $1000 AR just doesn't have a viable counterpart when all the factors are taken in to consideration. That's why we don't see the AR15 vs. XXX threads.

roadapple and zackmars like this.
  9. zackmars

zackmars Well-Known

Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

WRT price, true, but you need an actual feature to truly be successful.

At the time when the ACR and SCAR hit the market, you didn't have a lot of the choices we have now in the AR market. $500 got you a low end rifle, $800 got you a good one, and a great one was north of $1000. There was still (or at least looked like there was) room for a gun that could give you all the things the AR did, plus a few things it couldn't

Obviously now we have hindsight, and look at the ACR, and can ask "what were they thinking?", but back in 2008, it had promise

roadapple likes this.
  10. m5215

m5215 Pistoleer

Sep 3, 2018
    Plano, TX
    As soon as glock releases a new 5.56mm rifle the great debate will begin over how superior it is and then of course I will have another category of firearms to put on my do not buy list.