• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    I'm trying to sell my fathers SR9C for him.MSRP is $499, I have it listed for $400.

Here are 3 screen shots of my conversation with a guy on the FL Gun Trader FB page about the gun. Is this guy an idiot or am I being unreasonable?

I'm new to selling firearms, but always thought guns held there value well.

What do you guys feel would be your bottom dollar if you were the seller?

9eme4u5e.jpg
    a8ede9u6.jpg
    paje8y4e.jpg
    Military Camp

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I wouldn't say either of you are far off. It isn't a 500 dollar gun, but 300 is too little. We got my wife one, brand new, for 400. I've never seen em sell for more than 450. When we were comparing prices before we got hers, every one of em was 420 and less. Bud's has em for 415.

You're right that guns don't lose their value like cars, but that doesn't mean people will pay close to retail price for a used gun, depending on the gun. For example, full sized M&P's are 500 dollar guns, but re sell for 400 most of the time. That's a hundred bucks off of a really good pistol and I've seen cases where they weren't ever used.

I think 370 would be a fair price for the Ruger. If I ever sold my wife's, I'd start it at 400, but only to allow someone to haggle me down to around 370. In my opinion, the fairest price for you and the buyer, would be about 370, IF the gun really only has 250 rounds through it. Otherwise, if you need the money, 350 isn't a bad deal. If you can wait, I'm sure someone will eventually pay 400. Having owned this gun, I wouldn't pay 400 for a used one and if my gun guy didn't have one, I wouldn't order one and pay the FFL fee. It's a good gun, but if someone is to go over 450, I'd say get an M&P, Glock, XD, CZ P07, and others in that class.

As stated, I think you both are being reasonable in that the buyer will want to start low and the seller would want to start high. The only thing I see that is keeping this from a fair deal, is the lack of haggling. I would have responded with something like, "Can't do 300 but I can take it down to 385". THEN, if he doesn't want to haggle, tell him to F off. If he came back with 340, I'd reply 380, let him go to 350, and put my final offer at 375. If he was willing to come up to 360 365, I'd probably let it go.

In conclusion, I think you over value the gun just a little and he under values it a little too much. Add in the haggling factor and I'm sure you can both agree on a number that you're both happy with. Just remember, the FFL transfer fee that you may have paid if you ordered this online, should not be factored in to the actual value of the gun. Good luck with your sail. Are you funding another firearm? If so, which one?

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    If it helps this is what two decent LGS have them advertised as by me. I paid $399.00 at a gun show lat November 2012. Then the panic buying started. now prices have settled back some.

2013-12-02_061544.jpg 2013-12-02_061633.jpg

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    JColumbus pretty much nailed it. I would probably go down to $350 because for $50 more I would go buy new.

I think Ham Bone will be back. I don't think he is going to have much luck waving his $300 around unless someone selling really needs the cash.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    To be frank, quoting MSRP is just as ridiculous as a $300 offer.
    You have it priced ($400) at about retail and no one will purchase used when they can purchase new for the same price, unless there is a "reason" to do so.

Comparing round count and mileage is also ludicrous.

Last edited:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Brand new in Clermont for 427 including tax and fees. I personally won't give more than 75% of new for anything used. My top dollar offer for your pistol would therefore be $320.
    Just my .02

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Doesn't matter if it is unfired. It is used.
    Used gun selling for very near to new retail usually ain't gonna happen with anyone who knows what is going on.
    Your gun tho. You can sit on it until a pigeon comes along or drop the price to move it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I like the way we do things at TGT, better. That dialog should have been done in private by PM. Don't dump on a guy's ad even if you know that it's overpriced. If you don't like the offer, then move on or PM an offer. If he says "NO" there's no harm done.

It's not right to poison the guy's well. If he's asking too much and gets zero replies, he'll get the message.

Flash

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    A. I wouldn't sell a gun to some dude named Ham Bone.

B. I wouldn't sell a gun to someone whose first interaction with me was a one word sentence.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Some will pay more just because they see a 4473 as "registration. I've seen quite a few used guns sold at new gun price for that reason alone.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I
    I think 370 would be a fair price for the Ruger. If I ever sold my wife's, I'd start it at 400, but only to allow someone to haggle me down to around 370. In my opinion, the fairest price for you and the buyer, would be about 370, IF the gun really only has 250 rounds through it. Otherwise, if you need the money, 350 isn't a bad deal. If you can wait, I'm sure someone will eventually pay 400. Having owned this gun, I wouldn't pay 400 for a used one and if my gun guy didn't have one, I wouldn't order one and pay the FFL fee. It's a good gun, but if someone is to go over 450, I'd say get an M&P, Glock, XD, CZ P07, and others in that class.!

Funny, I view the SR9s as worth much more than the retail price. I'd carry one over a glock 8 days a week and 3 times on Sunday.

Still stands that they can be found easily at just over $400. I tend to not factor buds pricing or similar sites because I don't shop that way and I know many others don't either. LGS prices tend to run a little higher and I like to walk in and pick things up. Still, I have paid premium prices for guns and knew it at the time but don't expect to recoup that if I sell.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Well I'm more then willing to let it go between $360-375.My father did pay about $450+tax for it new. And I know online you can find them for $420 thats great but you still have FFL fee's but that's another debate.

Only reason I put the value of $499 msrp out there is because gander mountian, Bass pro and a few small gun shops in this area all have them for sale at $499.On the high side for sure but I figured it would help me out and I hoped to move no more then $40 off my $400 number to make the deal.

A. I wouldn't sell a gun to some dude named Ham Bone.

B. I wouldn't sell a gun to someone whose first interaction with me was a one word sentence.

I'm right there with you, seen the name then checked out his FB page. Guy looks like a real weirdo.That's the reason why I didn't counter offer because I also don't want to make the deal with this guy.

I have been buying and selling car parts for a long time.Anytime I had someone as short with words as he is the deal never works out.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Thanks for everyone's input so far. I think I will relist it today and put a slightly lower price tag on it to see if it helps.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Value on used guns, i generally run at 90% of Buds' gun price. Usually runs right where it probably is worth, with a significant drop off for obvious/visual cosmetic damage.

Round count on most guns is pretty meaningless. 250 rounds or 2k rounds isn't going to wear most guns (maybe the cheap pocket pistols as the exceptions).

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Just checked the receipt from Gander was $490 out the door with tax and some kinda $30 protection plan lol.

Gun was $429.

Put it on another FB page for $400obo and got a $250 offer.

I would love for someone to make me a realistic offer.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Funny, I view the SR9s as worth much more than the retail price. I'd carry one over a glock 8 days a week and 3 times on Sunday.

Still stands that they can be found easily at just over $400. I tend to not factor buds pricing or similar sites because I don't shop that way and I know many others don't either. LGS prices tend to run a little higher and I like to walk in and pick things up. Still, I have paid premium prices for guns and knew it at the time but don't expect to recoup that if I sell.

I wouldn't argue with that, in that if they were priced at 500, I wouldn't think it was too much. Since it's priced at around 4, and after shooting and cleaning it, I'm happy with the price. There are a couple of things that would draw me away from paying 500. BUT if someone told me they paid 5, I wouldn't think, "what a rip off", unless they paid 5 for a 400 dollar gun, retail.

Now that I think about it, my wife picked the gun out and I just paid for it. Had it been 479, I'd had not thought too much about it and paid. If it were me though, priced around an M&P, I'd go with the M&P every time. In fact I got my M&P9c for 430, which was a damn good deal, new.

MAN I'D CARRY MY BOW AND ARROW OVER A GLOCK 465 DAYS OUT OF THE YEAR!

OP, if you're in a hurry to sell the thing, price it at, or around lowest price you are willing to go, and be firm. In a lot of people's minds, "O.B.O.", means you're willing to drop it 5 or 10 dollars and they won't even bother calling for it at 390. If you really paid around 500, I say keep it. Just me, I couldn't sell it knowing I overpaid, and then am going to lose out on 100, at least. Especially since it IS a good gun. As stated by Younggun, I wouldn't pick a Glock over the Ruger.

EDIT: My wife brought it to my attention that we paid 350 for hers. I remember clearly now. Hell of a gun for 1 hell of a price, IF you're the buyer. Damn! What a twist!

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I like the way we do things at TGT, better. That dialog should have been done in private by PM. Don't dump on a guy's ad even if you know that it's overpriced. If you don't like the offer, then move on or PM an offer. If he says "NO" there's no harm done.

It's not right to poison the guy's well. If he's asking too much and gets zero replies, he'll get the message.

Flash
    Exactly! ^^^^ ALL negotiations, IMO, should be by PM. With guns, etc. I've put up for sale, I've always requested folks send me an offer by PM. That way nobody gets "butt-hurt" or their panties in a wad and whatever it goes for is private!

Top Bottom