Military Camp

What're your thoughts on the century arms C308?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I've heard about them and seen them in stores. They run around 7-800$ usually. I'm wondering if anyone has ever shot one enough to have a personal opinion on it? I've heard they're pretty heavy and like to kick!
    df5aec6ddaf89051cd4e62816a03fbed.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I've got a few ptr91s and yes, they are heavy as hell. kick is decent, nothing insane. it's a 308 after all

Sent from my SIG Sauer

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I owned the H&K 93 .223 version of that rifle and fired the full auto H&K 91 in .308. They are similar enough to that rifle to make some evaluations.

Observations?
    Heavy rifle.
    Everything for the rifles is expensive.
    It takes a special tool to adjust the rear sight.
    The fired brass has black stripes burned into it from the fluted chamber.
    Ejection of the fired round is very brisk! I remember hunting brass for 40 feet from the firing line.
    Ejected brass leaves the rifle at a furious pace. I'd hate to get hit with one!
    Magazines are expensive.

Flash

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Never fired one but always thought about buying one. Fired a buddies M1A Socom and thought it was a nice sweet shooter. I need to stick with 223

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    cetme version very hit or miss on quality. several threads on this on the hk forum. they are typically around 600 or so. spend a couple hundred more and get a PTR.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I got a C308 in a trade. It has been a great rifle, very reliable and accurate. Mags are cheap and plentiful also. I might get a scope for it later on but enjoy it as is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    The fired brass has black stripes burned into it from the fluted chamber.

my PTRs dent the cases pretty badly. I don't load 308 (yet), but from what I've read, they smooth out during resize.

the brass shoots forward around 1:30

[video]

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Last edited:

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I like the fact it has a rail. Most Hks have a claw mount that works great but is expensive. This looks like a better option. Tear down is likely difficult. If it has a roller lock bolt like most HKs it is a real pain. Expect a few MOA. Poor trigger and fluted chamber. You may or may not be able to reload your spent brass a couple times because of the fluting. I have a HK940 that I can't reload the brass because the flutes tear it up too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I like the fact it has a rail. Most Hks have a claw mount that works great but is expensive. This looks like a better option. Tear down is likely difficult. If it has a roller lock bolt like most HKs it is a real pain. Expect a few MOA. Poor trigger and fluted chamber. You may or may not be able to reload your spent brass a couple times because of the fluting. I have a HK940 that I can't reload the brass because the flutes tear it up too bad.

Tear down is easy, 30 seconds or so if you know how to do it the proper way.......actually I could probably do it in 12-15 seconds if I try. Too many people over complicate it.

The sight on a CETME is different and I don't think you need the sight drum tool, it spins I believe.

The newer CETME's are built by PTR or on PTR receivers. Honestly though, at that price point I would go PTR.
    A port buffer deals with the denting problems.

Oh, I've never shot one, but have a load of HK's.

I have to say, that's a good looking CETME and the newer ones like that have been know to be better. Good luck.

Last edited:

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Tear down is easy, 30 seconds or so if you know how to do it the proper way. Too many people over complicate it.

The sight on a CETME is different and I don't think you need the sight drum tool, it spins I believe.

The newer CETME's are built by PTR or on PTR receivers. Honestly though, at that price point I would go PTR.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    My cousin had one a few years ago. It was pretty heavy and the charging handle was difficult to pull back due to the heavy recoil spring. It shot OK but no tack driver. My cousin always told me G3 mags were cheap and plentiful. That may have changed in the last 6 years. Something went wrong with the rifle that I'm not 100% on but he doesn't have it anymore and talks negatively about it now.

billyb4u64

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2017
    PTR91 made totally in U.S.A. are a better rifle a little more .CDNN has them on sale occasionally . they are a battle rifle get what U like .

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

billyb4u64

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2017
    Magazines are real cheap at ( APEX GUN PARTS ) usually can buy
    HK 91 7.62 X 51 also sell pouches or sets. I've bought about 24 mags

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    mags are a dime a dozen, I bought a box of 41 or so off gunbroker a few years back for about $200

I did get paddle mag releases for them too, but need to get the receivers machined out for them

Sent from my SIG Sauer

MCTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    PTR91 made totally in U.S.A. are a better rifle a little more .CDNN has them on sale occasionally . they are a battle rifle get what U like .

Buds gunshop sometimes have the ptr91GI or GIR with the make an offer price being about 850 or so.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I have a PTR and a CETME. The PTR is a little more accurate, but let's be honest, they are both barttle rifles.
    My CETME does not have the welded rail, but I got it back when they cost half of what that one does.
    The triggers all suck, but if you send your trigger pack to Bill Springfield, he can make it a little better.

Top Bottom