• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I've never made my own biscuits and gravy. You inspired me. I'm going to give it a go this weekend. I like a brown roux gravy so I don't plan on adding any milk or cream to mine.
    Bitchquick makes a decent biscuit IMHO, I like it for waffles & dumpling as well. I use to make extra roux & keep it in the fridge. Milk can be added to roux to give you the taste. No milk with roux is just sausage Étouffée
    Venture Surplus ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I've never made my own biscuits and gravy. You inspired me. I'm going to give it a go this weekend. I like a brown roux gravy so I don't plan on adding any milk or cream to mine.
    The best gravies are made from after frying meat. The meat fats, and seasonings add to the gravy's flavor.

I can't remember growing up that my grandmother or stepmom made a meal that didn't have a bowl of gravy on the table.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The best gravies are made from after frying meat. The meat fats, and seasonings add to the gravy's flavor.

I can't remember growing up that my grandmother or stepmom made a meal that didn't have a bowl of gravy on the table.
    Could very well be you grandmother & stepmom were like my mother growing up. Cheaper cut, over cooked then gravy to wash them down.My mom always made a bottom round roast from the rump end. It was the only roast I knew growing up. I only knew 3 different steaks, cubed steak, round steak & bone in sirloin.

Even with my dad still living in Illinois after mom died his cooking changed as I became a journeyman meat cutter. I will never forget my dad freaking out over me roasting a while beef tenderloin while he was visiting. Never seen someone hit the fridge for more after the meal was over & put away.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Could very well be you grandmother & stepmom were like my mother growing up. Cheaper cut, over cooked then gravy to wash them down.My mom always made a bottom round roast from the rump end. It was the only roast I knew growing up. I only knew 3 different steaks, cubed steak, round steak & bone in sirloin.

Even with my dad still living in Illinois after mom died his cooking changed as I became a journeyman meat cutter. I will never forget my dad freaking out over me roasting a while beef tenderloin while he was visiting. Never seen someone hit the fridge for more after the meal was over & put away.
    Well, my grandparents grew up during the depression, and I think that was why they were pretty miserly with spending money. In all honesty, there was always plenty to eat, and no one ever left the table hungry that I can recall.

My stepmom had seven of us to feed, and she made just about everything from scratch. We always butchered a steer and hog at least once a year. so we always had plenty of beef and pork in the freezers. My brother and I supplimented the meat with squirrels, rabbits, deer and fish we hunted and fished for. My stepmom would could just about anything we killed and cleaned!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Got brave today and made Instapot Hawaiian chicken in the crock pot. Goes on tacos. The jalepeno dressing on the slaw is awesome.

Really tasty.

Recipe here:

1B8ABAE9-E3B3-434E-9C2A-EF2D748ECCF1.jpeg
    417ECF92-DD54-497F-9702-656A2A18A818.jpeg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Got brave today and made Instapot Hawaiian chicken in the crock pot. Goes on tacos. The jalepeno dressing on the slaw is awesome.

Really tasty.

Recipe here:

View attachment 321181 View attachment 321182
    Dayem that sounds pretty damn good!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Still raining, so why not:

Baby Bella mushrooms, organic baby spinach, seasoned with Cajun seasoning, and cooked in bacon grease.

Just like my Cajun Mama made it (with maybe tee red wine in the pot, and beaucoup in the cook).

Side dish, salad topping, or add it to soup.

Make Mama Proud.jpg

Top Bottom