Join TexasGunTalk

What's killing it?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Darkpriest667, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Active Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    My grass is watered twice weekly I fertilize it and I generally take damn good care of it... I have the only green lawn in my sub division right now... but over the past few weeks I've been seeing this creep up and I thought maybe some of you guys would know what is causing it.

IMG_20180709_124206.jpg IMG_20180709_124220.jpg IMG_20180709_124234.jpg

2. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Googled symptom, came up with "brown patch fungus".
    Dunno.

3. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Could be grubworms.

4. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

Stop peeing on the grass when you come home drunk at night.

5. Charlie

Charlie Illiterate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Damn, you beat me to it! :green:

6. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Can You Dig It?

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen

That's my vote. Grub worms. If there's a lot of June bugs flying about. Their getting it on and laying larva in the grass which eat the roots. I have lots of grub worms. Helps keep me from having to mow the grass. The June bugs hang out in a close by Texas privet tree. Making a creepy clicking June bug sound.

7. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire But it's a dry heat TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Borden County
    I'd say either of the 2 above.

Let me tell you my story. I rolled out sod 2 years ago. Princess 77. Really great grass... Been watering it and taking good care of it. Started to notice real bad drying out and browning kinda like yours. One late afternoon I was standing on the porch having a beer and pondering what was causing it. So I thought maybe I'd better understand what was happening if I wen't and stood over it and knelled down just to check it out. After about a minute I realized it was much hotter was I was standing... I looked up to my second story Low-E windows... It then dawned on me that my windows were reflecting the west afternoon/evening sun on my grass acting like a dang magnifying glass cooking the chit outta it. I've since focused on keeping those 2 hot spots well hydrated. Not saying this is your problem... but fyi

Darkpriest667 and HKaltwasser like this.
  8. busykngt

busykngt Well-Known

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Interesting; my St. Augustine grass/yard has the same problem. I’ve managed to keep it fairly well watered too. And have just a few brown patches here and there. I was kind of chalking it up to grub worms too. Oddly enough, only in the front yard - which does happen to face the west, hot afternoon sun. Backyard doesn’t have the problem, it’s a thick green carpet (but does get more shade).

I would think if it’s grub worms, I’d see the same problem in the backyard too. The window reflection is an interesting idea. The largest spot I have, is in front of a window on the west side - I’ll have to check that out!

Darkpriest667 likes this.
  9. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Before you do the whole yard (with a fertilizer spreader), first sprinkle powdered laundry soap around the edge of a few of the bigger spots - soap on the green, not the dead. If it is grub worms, soap'll stop the spread. If it's not grubworms, soap won't hurt the grass.

Dad_Roman, Darkpriest667 and busykngt like this.
  10. deemus

deemus TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Not necessarily.