Venture Surplus ad

What's the best laser to shoot hogs/coyotes at night with?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    I have a night vision rig and want to add a laser to my AR's (one in 6.8spc and the other in 5.56). What's the best laser to mount to an AR for shooting out to around 50-100 yds?

thanks,

chris mccollum
    Hurley's Gold

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I just picked up a Luna LN-ELIR. Take the FDA-mandated filter off the front, and it's crazy bright. Adjustable brightness, though.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    My Lasermax both green and IR will light up stuff several hundred yards away. Max range when using a laser shooting wise is about 150 yards. Beyond 150, its hard to get good shot placement with the laser.

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    In doing some research, I came across some vague references on the net about legal IR lasers. Are some legal and some not? What makes one illegal?

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Laser devices. DBAL d2. DBAL I2 w/ IR illuminator

both good to 200 yds or so.

here are a few videos.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    In doing some research, I came across some vague references on the net about legal IR lasers. Are some legal and some not? What makes one illegal?

The military uses IR lasers that will reach out to 1000m or some crazy range. The FDA believes IR lasers with that much power will liquify civilians' eyeballs so they ban them from sale except to mil/LE/gov agency. Apparently military eyeballs are not as susceptible to liquification as yours or mine.

Laser manufacturers then built IR lasers with lower power and got FDA approval to sell to the general public. Those are the 'civvie legal' and 'eye safe' Class I IR lasers you see for sale.

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The military uses IR lasers that will reach out to 1000m or some crazy range. The FDA believes IR lasers with that much power will liquify civilians' eyeballs so they ban them from sale except to mil/LE/gov agency. Apparently military eyeballs are not as susceptible to liquification as yours or mine.

Laser manufacturers then built IR lasers with lower power and got FDA approval to sell to the general public. Those are the 'civvie legal' and 'eye safe' Class I IR lasers you see for sale.

Hence that dark filter on the Luna I bought. :p

Funny enough, it's the FDA who regulates this stuff for whatever odd reason. Last I checked, lasers were neither food nor drug, but OK.

Top Bottom