Lynx Defense

What's the best round for an ultra carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomhall75

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Fort Worth
    I have a Kimber Ultra Carry 2, I have put many different rounds thru it like magtech, pmj, winchester, hydra shok, blue dot, and a few others and haven't had any issues. Well, I take that back, the hydrashok's didn't expand. We were out in the field and had some drywall left over from a job. Just to check penetration we lined up 5 walls with about 5 inches between them and a heavy block at the end, from about 10 and 20 feet they went thru all 5 and into the block but held form. So I'm thinking that the 3 inch barrell on the weapon doesn't allow enough barrell length to get the rounds going fast enough to expand. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what round would be best to "stop" an assailant?
    DK Firearms

kawi jm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Honestly, any 45 ACP round will be enough to stop someone in a defensive situation (i.e. less than 15 yards typically). The round by nature is a very hard hitting bullet. The hollow points IMHO just help the round from travelling through the target and possibly hitting something else. I understand that there are "some" performance advantages with a hollow point; i just don't think they are particulaly needed in the 45 ACP.

With that said I have had good results (expansion) from the Hydroshok in my 5" Colt.

Again just my opinion.

John

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I use Hornady Tap and Gold dots for personal defense.Magtech and PMJ are good for plinking.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I've seen balistics on several and if one doens't expand like you'd expect it too, it's HydaShocs.

I use Golden Sabre's and also have some Win. Ranger to try out.

I've seen and heard a lot of people talk about basic old Winchester JHP's and how well they perform over more expensive defense rounds.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I have a Kimber Ultra Carry 2, I have put many different rounds thru it like magtech, pmj, winchester, hydra shok, blue dot, and a few others and haven't had any issues. Well, I take that back, the hydrashok's didn't expand. We were out in the field and had some drywall left over from a job. Just to check penetration we lined up 5 walls with about 5 inches between them and a heavy block at the end, from about 10 and 20 feet they went thru all 5 and into the block but held form. So I'm thinking that the 3 inch barrell on the weapon doesn't allow enough barrell length to get the rounds going fast enough to expand. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what round would be best to "stop" an assailant?

Corbon DPX is my preferred round. A traditional JHP is going to do just fine as well.

I would stick to Speer Gold Dots or Corbon DPX, or perhaps another heavy grain weight round so you can maximize feed potential (those listed have a better nose profile for feeding).

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Out of the short barrels I have usually had the best luck with the lighter bullets. You can get them moving faster over shorter distances without pressure problems. I seem to remember reading that somone made defense rounds especially for short barrel guns. Cant remember who it was though. May want to try dropping the weight down to 200, 185 or 165 grainers and see what happens.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    A shorter barrel gun likes a fast powder like Bullseye. The 185's and 200's work great out of my four inch barrel. I agree with JKTex on the Winchester Hollow points, they expand nicely.

Top Bottom