• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are used guns typically ridiculously overpriced in TX?

• Total voters

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Some folks want to customize their pistol with stippling and all sorts of aftermarket parts, springs and doodads to make it just perfect for them.

And then they don't seem to understand why it isn't just perfect for EVERYBODY, and wonder why they can't get all their money back for it.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you avoid used or is it just the way it seems to work out?

I personally love the used market. Being cheap by nature it really works out well for me. I am not afraid to drive a little to make it happen either.
    I'm not opposed to the used market. Just seems what I have was specific at the time.

At this point in my stock, anything else I buy will have a good chance at being used. I got my long range stuff squared away, I have a couple of pistols I wanted new. Anything else will just be novelty.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Bought a Beretta Tomcat a few years ago used. It had been bought back by the shop who sold it. It was $80 under new price, and came with the 45 rounds of ammo left in the box by the previous owner. 5 rounds fired, and it looked it. Clean as a whistle.

Also bought my Sig 228 used, and $200 under new price. It had been tinkered with by a military armorer. Its the most accurate SA gun I have ever shot. The recoil is almost non-existent.

Got my Sig 229 used too, for about $250 under new price. It had some work done to it too, and had Hogue rubber grips on it. Least recoil of any 40 I have ever shot.

Bought a British Enfield that had been sporterized for $40. Old guy mailed it back from Europe a part at a time to his mom. When he returned home, he put it back together and made a deer rifle out of it. He liked that I thought it was cool. His kids didn't hunt or shoot, and didn't want it. So I got a good deal. I shot it for years. My BIL's wife died, and he had bought her an unmodified Enfield. He didn't want the gun in his house after she passed. So he asked if I would trade him his full stock for my sporterized. He still has my old gun.

The list goes on.

bgw45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    D/FW
    I've been trying to find a used Dillon 550. I've seen 4 in my North TX area. All priced significantly over retail. I get paying 80% of retail but don't see paying someone a profit for their use of an item they no longer need. I have decided to go with a new 550C.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Luckily there are some level headed guys out there. Just picked up this "used" but unfired S&W 629PC for a decent price. It even came with 2 extra grips and a couple of Bianchi speed strips. As in everything else, buyer beware. The market tends to correct itself, eventually. Good hunting.
    20190328_000938_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20190328_000938_resized.jpg
      20190328_000938_resized.jpg
      289.8 KB · Views: 446

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Then there's the occasional seller who doesn't actually want to sell. Keeping the wife happy...

"I'm tryin to sell it."

Or the the other reluctant seller who say's, "If someone is stupid enough to pay $X, I'll be smart enough to take their money."

I do a lot of window shopping everyday, much to the detriment of some folk's wallets here in another thread :evil: (though I've been slacking lately :( ) And I find the subject of the OP isn't just a Texas thing, it's an everywhere thing.
    I use to get annoyed by what some folks asked for used/private sales, but now I just move on and keep looking. There are deals to be had, rarely do they find you. Unfortunately for some, the time it takes to find decent deals isn't something they have to spare, so it can seem frustrating when what time you do put into it seems fruitless.
    There are some folks here who find good deals at pawnshops. I'll be the first to say, "I hate pawn shops and never find a deal!" But I also don't put the time into going from shop to shop and looking either, like those that usually find deals in them.
    Same goes for LGS's. My initial response to the OP was going to be "don't bother", but seeing as I don't spend all that much time going to every shop in the area on a regular basis, my advice probably wouldn't be relevant.
    I have personally found some great deals on auction sites and many people will say they suck, but again, those people are generally just casually browsing those sites and basing their judgement on that, where I will spend some time every morning and throughout the day looking through newly posted auctions and monitoring soon to end auctions for specific guns I am interested in. But understand I have to wade through a majority of bullshit ads before I find something good, sometimes even something that's kind of good.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Or the the other reluctant seller who say's, "If someone is stupid enough to pay $X, I'll be smart enough to take their money."

I do a lot of window shopping everyday, much to the detriment of some folk's wallets here in another thread :evil: (though I've been slacking lately :( ) And I find the subject of the OP isn't just a Texas thing, it's an everywhere thing.
    I use to get annoyed by what some folks asked for used/private sales, but now I just move on and keep looking. There are deals to be had, rarely do they find you. Unfortunately for some, the time it takes to find decent deals isn't something they have to spare, so it can seem frustrating when what time you do put into it seems fruitless.
    There are some folks here who find good deals at pawnshops. I'll be the first to say, "I hate pawn shops and never find a deal!" But I also don't put the time into going from shop to shop and looking either, like those that usually find deals in them.
    Same goes for LGS's. My initial response to the OP was going to be "don't bother", but seeing as I don't spend all that much time going to every shop in the area on a regular basis, my advice probably wouldn't be relevant.
    I have personally found some great deals on auction sites and many people will say they suck, but again, those people are generally just casually browsing those sites and basing their judgement on that, where I will spend some time every morning and throughout the day looking through newly posted auctions and monitoring soon to end auctions for specific guns I am interested in. But understand I have to wade through a majority of bullshit ads before I find something good, sometimes even something that's kind of good.

Very wise and well said....just like finding any other kind of good deal. I've gotten into real estate investing the last few years and look at probably 100 deals or more on average before I find one that actually works and is worth pulling the trigger on.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    The only gunstore I go to these days is GT Distributors in Austin. They have LEO trade-in guns for a really good price. Most are shot very little and have some holster wear.

They sell new guns too that don't seem too high. I would rather buy from them than Cabelas or Academy.

Top Bottom