• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are used guns typically ridiculously overpriced in TX?

• Total voters

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Greetings fellow gun enthusiasts,
    I somewhat recently moved to the fine state of Texas. The state from which I came is circling the leftist drain straight into the sewer as fast as the Chicago crooks and their down state cronies can get it there. Many freedoms that Texans take for granted are new to me. Suppressors, Class III, SBR's, AOW's and all the other ATF regulated goodies are now available to me.
    What is also new to me is the prices I am seeing in the used firearm market. I understand that a seller has the right to charge whatever he wants. What I don't get is who the hell is paying these prices? I just saw a newer model S&W 629 complete with "Hillary Hole" going for $950 FIRM. That's over $200 more than what you can get a BRAND NEW one for online. The same gun would be $500-600 at my LGS back in IL.....and then you could haggle a bit. I recently sold a couple sub compacts for what I thought were decent prices but possibly the guy buying them thought they were dirt cheap and I was an idiot for valuating them so low?
    Maybe I'm just used to dealing with straight shooters that are less inclined to overprice an item in the anticipation of hagglers and lowballers. Is this just the way it is down here? Feel free to comment. I just needed to vent. Maybe I'll go check TGT again and see if anyone has come to their senses yet. RANT OVER. P.S. I'm looking for a decent LGS in the Austin to San Antonio corridor. Who do ya'll like?
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I suspect the same reason why Walther PPK's are cheap as dirt in Germany, and expensive a.f. in the US: Texas is a much freer state when it comes to gun regulation than Illinois, thus the market here is much hotter and prices higher.

Who cares, that's what the internet is for. Bought a S and W 29 (UPC 022188142242, i.e. the factory engraved one, wife wanted it) for $899 shipped from Minnesota.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I think there are a lot of folks who bought stuff when the Obama fear was high and so were the prices. When they offer a slight discount off of what they paid because it's practically new or unfired, they don't realize current prices are even cheaper for new in the box.

But there are also others who I have no idea what they're thinking, and never have understood their pricing.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Good point. Late 2012 thru early 2013, selling pmags for $80 each, cases of Wolf 223 for $1500 each, cases of “3 shot shells for $800+, 22lr bricks for $400+, etc. It was a sellers market for a while.

Crazy times for sure

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I suspect the same reason why Walther PPK's are cheap as dirt in Germany, and expensive a.f. in the US
    I hate that dynamic. When the ISSF changed the rules and changed Men's Rapid Fire Pistol from .22 Short to .22 LR, all serious shooters of that sport had to abandon their old guns and buy new ones. There was a time when a decent older Hammerli rapid fire pistol could be had for $100 in Germany while simultaneously costing $1000+ in the U.S.

I was really looking forward to picking up a cheap, high-quality plinker when the rules changed. I was quickly disabused of that notion.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    People pay way more money than neccessary when they don't check prices, then they try to get their money back later.
    This is one of the biggest reasons. Many sellers just have no idea what the market value is for something.

They paid too much and just want their money back.

Another issue is the market itself. It favors sellers at the moment because of tax returns. In a month it will resume being a buyer's market and prices will drop.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Yes and No. I recently bought a very good used CZ 75B for $283.00 at my local gun shop. I said here take my money. It was a steal to me. I added some Trijicon night sights and nice grips to it. A Cerakote job is in its future also.

I have a .308 rifle on consignment with a local dealer. It has a savage 5R Barrel, Cerakote and a custom made stock. It may have 40 rounds down it. It also has a nice FFP Scope. I gave the dealer a market price which was discounted to today's prices for the stuff on the rifle minus 25% of the total values. If you had to go buy the stuff brand new at today prices. A Savage Action by itself is not cheap. However, I also gave him a rock bottom price. The basic rifle is something you couldn't buy from a rifle company. So if a person comes in and says I have to have that take my money he would still be getting a decent deal. If he slows his roll and does some bargaining he will get an even better deal.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom