ARJ Defense ad

What's the strangest booze you ever drank?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    and avoid Slivovitz, a Serbian plum brandy. Harsh and foul.

oohrah,

There are TWO sorts of Slivovitz. GREAT & TERRIBLE.
    (IMO, there is NO "just OK" Serbian moonshine, whether homemade or "bottled in bond".)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Grappa & witblits

baboon,

I once knew an Italian from Tuscany, who worked for me at the Installation Motor Pool in BRD, who made grappa at home, using "leftovers", i.e., skins, pulp & seeds from a small local winery.
    I thought that his homemade product was VERY GOOD.

Wishing that i had been smart enough to ask him for his family recipe!!

yours, satx

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Many years ago after a breakup, I headed south to Juarez, MX to drown my sorrows. After several hours and multiple libations, I found myself in a rather discrete watering hole away from the usual tourist traps. I asked for a shot of tequila and the bar tender laughed and said she could sense my pain. She reached under the bar and pulled a bottle out with a brown liquid, what appeared to be cigarette butts floating on top, and no label. I was leery drinking such a foul looking liquid so she poured herself a shot and knocked it back. Seeing no ill effects, I took a shot. Didn’t taste horrible, stood up, and don’t remember the next two days. Luckily I was with my friend who got me home. He said I kept mumbling about elephants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Many years ago after a breakup, I headed south to Juarez, MX to drown my sorrows. After several hours and multiple libations, I found myself in a rather discrete watering hole away from the usual tourist traps. I asked for a shot of tequila and the bar tender laughed and said she could sense my pain. She reached under the bar and pulled a bottle out with a brown liquid, what appeared to be cigarette butts floating on top, and no label. I was leery drinking such a foul looking liquid so she poured herself a shot and knocked it back. Seeing no ill effects, I took a shot. Didn’t taste horrible, stood up, and don’t remember the next two days. Luckily I was with my friend who got me home. He said I kept mumbling about elephants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kirk10100,

They make all sorts of strange stuff that contains alcohol south of the border, including a "substance" that is made from fermented/distilled goat's milk.

Ever had PULKE??
    (That stuff is SLOP, imo.)

yours, satx

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My ex's father was an amateur wine maker. He had a neighbor that helped him get started. Once while visiting for Christmas, my f-in-law took us over to that neighbor's house and he had all kinds of wine and distilled liquors that he made. The dandelion wine wasn't bad. Gooseberry wine is like drinking snot. He had some cherries that soaked for a year in alcohol that he made some sort of liquor from. Stuff would fry your tonsils.

The father of a girl I dated was an ex-Marine and a cop. He had a buddy from the Marines that became a sheriff in some rural county in WV or KY. The buddy gave him a couple of gallon jugs of REAL moonshine. Seems there was an old moonshiner in the county that had a still put together with threaded fittings. He made really good stuff - no battery acid or lead in it - and every year around Christmas time he would call the sheriff's office and let them know he made them a batch. They'd go to his still, take it apart carefully and take pictures to show the IRS folks that they had "destroyed" the still, and they'd take the jugs of liquor back to the office to "dispose" of it. Talk about some liquid fire!! It was some stout stuff! He put some on a tablespoon and lit it. When it finished burning, there was nothing left on the spoon.

In college, a group from the campus newspaper decided to go around town and find the strongest drink. Every bar had some drink that was pretty much only for the hardcore drinkers. Of course, the beauty of their survey was that most places gave them a drink for free. ("Here, try a 'Strip 'n Go Naked'!") But at one of the smaller, quieter bars, the bartender made a drink, drank it himself, and said, "Yep. That's it. The Jellybean." So out of curiosity, the reporters ponied up the cash and each bought a Jellybean. It's a shot of blackberry brandy and a shot of Ouzo. (As a Greek friend of mine used to say, "Ouzo is good booze-o.") It tastes like a jellybean. Then attacks your entire central nervous system. My girlfriend at the time saw the story and decided she needed to try that drink. She tried it and liked it well enough that she had 2 more. At this point, she was about as drunk as I ever saw her. Lucky night for me? Might have been if she hadn't started vomiting up every meal she had during the prior week.

My neighbor was an advisor in the early days of the Vietnam War. When he got to Saigon, nothing was ready for him, so he just had a good time in the local bars. Beer was super cheap, and he was young and thirsty. Then he started having real problems with severe headaches and such. The doctor arrived and he went to see him. Doc asked what he'd been drinking and he told him about this cheap beer. The doc told him to lay off of that because the Vietnamese put formaldehyde in it as a cheap way to make it stronger. The formaldehyde was what was making him sick.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My neighbor was an advisor in the early days of the Vietnam War. When he got to Saigon, nothing was ready for him, so he just had a good time in the local bars. Beer was super cheap, and he was young and thirsty. Then he started having real problems with severe headaches and such. The doctor arrived and he went to see him. Doc asked what he'd been drinking and he told him about this cheap beer. The doc told him to lay off of that because the Vietnamese put formaldehyde in it as a cheap way to make it stronger. The formaldehyde was what was making him sick.

Years back hood rat were dipping blounts in formaldehyde to make it stronger. That led to break in @ funeral homes.

Turns out that was a bad idea & hood rat pharmacology is up there with burning your own hood!

Embalming fluid contains formaldehyde which is known to cause cancer. Weed is laced with embalming fluid in order to make it seem stronger than it actually is and is very dangerous. By itself, formaldehyde is colorless and smells somewhat like pickles.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I once knew an Italian from Tuscany, who worked for me at the Installation Motor Pool in BRD, who made grappa at home, using "leftovers", i.e., skins, pulp & seeds from a small local winery.
    I thought that his homemade product was VERY GOOD.

Wishing that i had been smart enough to ask him for his family recipe!!

yours, satx

Not that difficult. Winemakers don't waste anything. The first press makes the good stuff. Then you can add orange juice, sugar, and water to the skins and let it ferment. It comes out fairly good. My ex's father used to make wine and sometimes that second batch was stronger than the first. You could see the alcohol creeping up the sides of the glass.

Brassguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 15, 2017
    Wichita Falls
    1. Drank a pint of grappa in one sitting. Next day was horrible.
    2. Learned the difference between good and bad vodka drinking with members of the Uzbek army.
    3. Tooba (coconut moonshine) in Micronesia

Most strange

4. A concoction made from fermented horse milk in Mongolia.

Rob945

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    North Texas
    Real absinthe
    Seems like they that in Japan when I was in the Navy in the 80s. I recall the command telling everyone not to drink it because it contained opium and you'd fail your next whiz quiz.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom