Whats the weirdest food you have ever eaten?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    The weirdest food I have ever eaten was guinea pig.Whats the weirdest food you have eaten?

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    ohhh man.... I spent 2yrs in Korea, and various trips to China... If I listed all the interesting local food I ate... it would be a pretty long post.

Just to name a few:

1. Hot Pot with pigs brain, coagulated ducks blood, and eel.
    2. Venomous snake (unknown variety, and some cobra I believe) served with a nice chilled glass of some Chinese liquor that had snake venom in it, also with fresh bile from a just slaughtered snake spleen to add that green tone and extra kick (also good for the skin evidently).
    3. Nakji aka live squirming octopi... dipped in a light butter sauce (no kidding).
    4. Ducks tongue, actually my side dish of choice in China.
    5. Whole rabbits head, eyeballs included... after you eat the meat off the bone you crack open the back of the skull and suck out the brains. This was a popular riverside treat in Chengdu.

:edit: Rattle snake is pretty damn good... I had it when I was a kid, pan fried with cactus.
    Like I said I could go on for some time....

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    kville, you guys, anyone that goes to Korea can win this game so easy!! :p

In Japan - live fish (shirouo), basashi (raw horse sashimi)

....I know I've eaten some weeeiiird stuff living here 3yrs...Japan has interesting cuisine!

In Australia - crocodile, kangaroo

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Like Kville and Shorts, I would have a very hard time with this... I spent time in Hong Kong, Japan (both mainland and Okinawa), Thailand, Taiwan, The Philipines.... I have eaten EVERY part of a pig and cow, monkey on a stick, cat, dog numerous snakes/and lizards, and just about anything that swims all cooked in some pretty unimaginable ways... but for some reason the one that gets most people is when I tell them about sitting around with the Thai Marines picking up crickets and grasshoppers, holding them over a lighter for a minute and eating them like popcorn....

Gun-Works

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    ohhh man.... I spent 2yrs in Korea, and various trips to China... If I listed all the interesting local food I ate... it would be a pretty long post.

Just to name a few:

1. Hot Pot with pigs brain, coagulated ducks blood, and eel.
    2. Venomous snake (unknown variety, and some cobra I believe) served with a nice chilled glass of some Chinese liquor that had snake venom in it, also with fresh bile from a just slaughtered snake spleen to add that green tone and extra kick (also good for the skin evidently).
    3. Nakji aka live squirming octopi... dipped in a light butter sauce (no kidding).
    4. Ducks tongue, actually my side dish of choice in China.
    5. Whole rabbits head, eyeballs included... after you eat the meat off the bone you crack open the back of the skull and suck out the brains. This was a popular riverside treat in Chengdu.

:edit: Rattle snake is pretty damn good... I had it when I was a kid, pan fried with cactus.
    Like I said I could go on for some time....
    You are one brave our very hungry fella at the time or did you have a belly full of SAKI?
    In Greece years ago we ate some Goat's Head,and there was plenty of the local wine flowing (which tasted and smelled like fiberglass resin)

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I thought mine was a weird food.I have heard horror stories of what my dad ate in Korea and the Philipines.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I really wouldn't call them horror stories, at least not for me... Usually these off beat dishes are really good... but sometimes you do have to get past the texture part.

I do have limits though... No primates, and nothing to do with birthing, like placenta or fetus's from any animal. That's where I pretty much draw the line.

To add to the list, I've eaten gator in Louisiana, and I've also eaten dog in China and Korea... I like the Chinese style better.

Thumper_6119

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    Rattlesnake. But compared to what some of y'all have eaten, that's quite mild.

And eventhough I'm a Texan, born and bred, I have never eaten nor will I ever eat calf fries. (Unless it's just an absolute matter of starving to death). And I'll never eat menudo again. Even the smell of that stuff makes me kick start a vomit.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    Korea travelers win. We ate the live octopus tentacles and live sea urchin. Think of Kirk Douglas in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea doing battle with the giant squid, this was the meal that fought back. Two bottles of Soju helped. Wrap the moving tentacle in lettuce with mint leaf and chili pepper and chew fast. I've never laughed so much during a meal in my life. The live sea urchin was much tastier than the Uni that is served in sushi restaurants stateside.

Why do Koreans eat such unusual foodstuff? Situated between Japan and China, Korea was the route that the warring armies took for centuries. Hosting invading armies for centuries, the Koreans learned to cope with chronic food shortages by eating what they could find. We did not try the boiled silkworm larvae while we were there.

Breakfast in Japan was interesting, one course was fish head soup with raw egg.

oldnbald

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Abilene, Texas
    What's the weirdest food you have ever eaten?

I spent two years in Japan, and like some of the others have mentioned, I have eaten things that most people either never heard of or didn't believe. I've had boiled octopus tentacles; dried, salted squid tentacles; raw fish; fried whale, and a variety of things I just didn't want to know about.

Top Bottom