• ...and so much more!
  • diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I think the reason Federal used the 6.8 case for the .224 Valkyrie is due to less wear/tear on the bolts. The 6.8 bolt is stronger compared to some comparable cases in the AR15 frame. Federal has also supported the 6.8 cartridge in both the military and commercial market. There cartridge is also very similar ARP's successful .224 Predator wildcat with some minor changes.

What I like about the .224 Valkyrie compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor is less weight and recoil. The .224 Valkyrie has a lot of promise at distance and is nipping at the heels of the Creedmoor with some bullets. But more work is needed on barrels to work consistently with the 90 gr bullets. I think they'll eventually get all the bugs worked out.

I have a ARP long freebore Valkyrie barrel waiting for a build. Before it shipped, Harrison at ARP call and asked if I still wanted it since he figured out the reamer screw up by PTG. He was one of a few barrel sellers that openly stated the problem and even pulled his barrels before shipping to customers. It was my choice whether to take it, but I went ahead and had him send it to me since I reload. I'll likely need to use a open PRI mag to load it long. I've already have one so not big deal.

Don't be surprised if the .224 Valkyrie isn't the last 6.8 wildcat that Federal introduces. A 6mm 6.8 wildcat may be next. Lot of demand for one.
    Will be building a .224Valk on a spare LWRC Six8 upper receiver that I've got laying around. I plan on using one of the ARP barrels but, as I don't reload, I'll be waiting until the freebore issue is "behind us". I'm a big beliver in the Six8 architecture as being optimized for the 6.8SPC cartridge geometry. So for that reason, I want my Valkyrie to feed from the Six8 Pmags.

And I don't believe for one minute that the 6.8SPC is waning at all.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I was also planning on a Six8 upper and lower my Valk build. But the long freebore changed that. Mine will need to use a PRI mag since I not opening up a Six8 mags.

Bambulance Man

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Texas, Fate
    I'm a nerd that enjoys Japanese anime and culture.
    I can bandage wounds and set broken/dislocated bones, i drink lots of coffee and I fish.

Otaku,,,, is that some kind of Japanese taco?????

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Medic, Coffee nerd, Otaku, Fisherman.

yotethumper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2018
    Houston
    224 Valk? Meh... I’d rather stick with my Grendels. Ammo is dirt cheap and it will easily put hogs and deer down 400 yards and in.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Yea but, dirty and inaccurate ammo. It is cheap. Fine for plinking ammo. Just plan on cleaning your firearm every time you shot a bunch of it. I tried using it for 3 Gun. But went back to my reloads after my only second time due to fouling problems.

yotethumper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2018
    Houston
    Yea but, dirty and inaccurate ammo. It is cheap. Fine for plinking ammo. Just plan on cleaning your firearm every time you shot a bunch of it. I tried using it for 3 Gun. But went back to my reloads after my only second time due to fouling problems.

It is for sure dirty. Shoots right at 1.5 MOA in most of my barrels. I use it on hogs mostly. Shoots minute of pig out to 200 easy.

navysooner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    From what I’ve been hearing about the accuracy issues isn’t really the freebore issue it is the twist ratio with the 90 grain Sierra match Kings. Most uppers and rifles for 224 Valkyrie come with 1/7 twist. And most of not all will shoot everything else just fine. Build your own upper and get a 1/6.5 twist barrel if you want to use those match kings.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    It's a combination of things: ammo/bullet design, long freebore and twist. Plenty of people have complained about the 90 gr Sierra Match King bullet that have a 6.5 twist barrels. I've got 6.5 twist long freebore barrel that I haven't bothered to build because I know it's not going to shoot that ammo very well. I do reload so I'll be able to find the sweet spot for the bullet. But it will likely need to be loaded long with a cut out mag.

Top Bottom