Join TexasGunTalk

What's you money saving tips ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Pointman91, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Don’t throw out media when it get’s dusty. Wash it and use it again.

Yep. I’m that cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Fosty

Fosty Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Austin
    Don't develop an interest in firearms.

3. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Tried that once. Never again.

I am cheap but my time is worth much more than that.

Instead of ordering media online I have found gun shows usually have good supplies sold in Ziplock baggies for reasonable prices.

$4 for a gallon bag isn't worth the time to fool with washing it. Plus the media isn't the same after washing it. It retains a level of fluffiness that keeps it from working as well as new.

I do tear up strips of paper towel to run in my tumbler that greatly extends the life of my media though.

4. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Blasphemy!

SloppyShooter likes this.
  5. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Spooky

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    Hmm, my money saving tips...

Don't get married. Never, ever, never have a joint bank account. For a second name, put one of your kids on the paperwork.

I guess the biggest way I save money....I say NO when asked for money. Don't lend it, Don't give it, Don't talk about it. I have no money. Never mind where the cars and motorcycles came from.

Golden rule, "I'm broke". For it to work. Have your oldest blue jeans and best wife beater on when you say it. Then to seal it for dramatic effect. Take a swig of some rot gut beer as you're saying it.

Broke is broke. I ain't got any money or I'd be drinking premium beer.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  6. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 Well-Known

Nov 7, 2015
    To each his own: Me, I give (don't lend, you'll just be aggravated) money instead of gifts to my Grandchildren at Christmas and birthdays and very rarely now, my daughter.

Why do this?

No gift you guess at will be spot on, but money, oh yeah, it's always spot on...

As a kid, I was homeless for many, many years and there's was 'no standard of living' there was only scrappy subsistence and barely that...

So, yes, I spoil (and have since they entered the world) my Grandchildren as it makes me feel good as they're not entitled acting, snotty millennials, complete with an 'I expect to be spoiled' type attitude. They're great kids, well young adults now...

One is a Senior (scholarship student) in college while also working, the other a high school-er (their) parents are divorced and are frankly the working poor.

So yeah, for many years now can afford to be good to them, but I fully appreciate that some find 'giving' money away a sort of an anathema...ok, but I get to choose what I do with my moola and at times giving my money to my loved ones is in my opinion, far better spent than giving to united way or some other dodgy charity...

7. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would imagine four marriages and four divorces gets quite spendy.

8. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Well-Known

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Casting my own bullets has been my greatest money saving tip. Of course I'm not saving money, just shooting more.

Had a quick range trip this morning. Burnt 500 rounds of 9mm and 100 of .45 ACP. Previous shooters were considerate enough to leave a lot of brass on the ground. I picked up a couple gallons of mixed brass.

9. TexMex247

TexMex247 Well-Known TGT Supporter

May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm a big equipment fiend but when I can, I'll also make something instead of buying it. Other than a few ideas I've heard here, my number one money saver is.... Buy in bulk ! Whether it's bullets, ammo, primer or powder, everything is cheaper in bulk form.

10. Charley

Charley Active Member

Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Be realistic in your expectations. Sometimes much more expensive equipment , such as "match" dies might shave a very slight amount off a 1.25 MOA rifle. Worth paying double or triple what a standard production die cost for that amount of consistency? If you are shooting an off the shelf production rifle, the manufacturer of the die knows advertising works. If your gun can't use the more expensive equipment to an advantage, why spend more? Add up the cost of "match " type powder measures, dies, length gauges, components, scales, and everything else available, and if your gun can't use it to your advantage, why pay for what you won't be getting?