Hurley's Gold

Whats your expectation of a "NEW" gun in terms of use, dirty, etc..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mancho

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2016
    North Dallas
    This kinda ties into my other post about BPS, and their new updated range.

I purchased what I was told is a NEW gun and when I got home, it looked as if it had way more... wait, WAAAAYYYYY MOOOREEE pews had been fired than the "official 5" that is done at the factory. *Hearsay, I'm told by a salesguy...

It might have been a while since I broke down a "new" weapon to have to push almost 10 patches through (after I had used the wire w cleaner) to get the barrel clean.

I noticed when I initially broke it down that the "firing" base where the pin extends to the cap, that it was clearly marked w powder and I felt like it was a clearly used weapon.

Funny thing, when the sales guy brought it up to me he joked about how there is a strict NO RETURN policy and that some folks buy it and then bring it back (and from what I experienced, they succeeded).

I would estimate at least 40 to 50 rounds through the weapon and I'm being really nice here. When just visually inspecting the barrel upon opening it, I could see a whole heck of a lot of junk.

I called from home when I discovered this and spoke w a guy behind the counter in the guns department and he continually told me that he gets these calls reg. through folks buying "new" guns.

So I agreed, perhaps, but left it uneasy that it seemed I would NOT have to clean a new gun for a half hour that should only have 5 rounds through it. Maybe I'm completely wrong on this one?
    Capitol Armory ad

Vec

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    I hear ya, I have bought multiple "new" firearms and they had been shot, but not very dirty when pre-cleaned before the first range trip.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    If you had to push 10 patches through it to clean it, I would say it's much, much more than 50 rounds. I do clean and oil new guns after buying, but never had to clean them much.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Not unusual for a new firearm to be dirty.
    The gun was fired more than five rounds at the factory. That is gun counter commando bullshit right there.
    If it is a fixed sight gun I guaran-damn-tee it was sighted in with about thirty rounds.
    Factory was sloppy letting it out without cleaning but these days it isn't surprising.
    I'd just clean it up and roll with it.

What is it?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Just a SW Bodyguard .380. Nothing real fancy. But paid like $429 plus tax I think.

I bought a brand new Colt 1911 once that was supremely filthy.
    Took me an hour to clean all the goo outta the dang thing.

You're little Bodyguard is good to go.

and you fail for not posting pics! LoL

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't expect a new gun to be pristine, but sending it out looking like it just fired a box or two of ammo is not acceptable. I have never bought a new gun that had anything more than a little grime, and a lot of oil on them.

Even Taurus got that right.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    If they did sell a used gun as new, seems like they would clean it first to hide the evidence.

Have you shot it yet? If there is a problem with it, S&W will make it right.

lvitsaP239

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Irving, Tx
    If you had to push 10 patches through it to clean it, I would say it's much, much more than 50 rounds. I do clean and oil new guns after buying, but never had to clean them much.

Agreed. I just got a new Springfield and cleaned off the grime, but definitely didn't have to put that much work into it.

mancho

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2016
    North Dallas
    Agreed. I just got a new Springfield and cleaned off the grime, but definitely didn't have to put that much work into it.

Yeah while I was there, I pulled about 100 rounds through my used "new to me" Springfield XDM 9mm and it was not as dirty as the "new gun" from BPS.

mancho

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2016
    North Dallas

LMAO, I didn't know documentation was so required here. Hey, I posted a pic of my dog! :D

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    I bought a glock 34 that has over 40,000rds thru the original barrel

I cleaned and spruced it up

Shoots better then I do

Round count is overrated

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I've bought 5 new pistols within the last year. None of them seemed "dirty" other than the goo plus a factory shot or two. I bought two Taurus pistols from two different stores and both had more goo than I expected. I bought a Springfield and two Rugers that were pretty clean. One from Cabela's, one from a small local shop and three from Grab A Gun's physical store.

mancho

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2016
    North Dallas

LOL, I didn't know I had to document it... I guess I wasn't expecting to! Hey, I did post a pic of my dog as requested!

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    BPS? Bass Pro? or some other smaller joint. If there is a posted NO RETURN POLICY then you should have left the store at that point. Unless they were giving this gun away you should have paid a little more at a much better store and gotten a truly NEW gun.

Top Bottom