Capitol Armory ad

Whats your expectation of a "NEW" gun in terms of use, dirty, etc..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Reason I said that is through the magic of google, some have said 2, and others up to a full mag or more depending on weapon. There was also a guy on a forum that stated he worked at S&W and he said that after test firing a few rounds, the gun would be wiped down, not cleaned, and sent out.

mancho

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2016
    North Dallas
    That makes sense with the S&W guy. I thnk the sales folks are trained to say something intelligent, regardless what comes out.

If they had said, sometimes the gun is fired UP TO 50 TIMES, as folks test drive them, but hey, you got lots of millage ahead.

Thats a pill I could swallow a bit better, but overall, eh, I find if I had cash and wanted this weapon, BPS is not the place I would start. Although the analogy of the auto, is when you leave the lot it drops in value. Heh, my gun doesn't have an odometer... :)

Now I know, inspect what you buy AT THE COUNTER IN DETAIL, not what was behind the glass.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    "Dirt" (i.e. grime, grease, etc.) isn't of much concern with a new gun, but "wear" (telltale signs of actual usage) is a completely different story. You should be able to tell if it's only had a few rounds run through it versus being "used." If the latter, that's something you should have probably caught when you bought it; as otherwise you are going to have a tough time proving it was like that after you've had it for a while...

mancho

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2016
    North Dallas
    "Dirt" (i.e. grime, grease, etc.) isn't of much concern with a new gun, but "wear" (telltale signs of actual usage) is a completely different story. You should be able to tell if it's only had a few rounds run through it versus being "used." If the latter, that's something you should have probably caught when you bought it; as otherwise you are going to have a tough time proving it was like that after you've had it for a while...

Yeah, I knew that when I opened it at home, that Oh Boy, I'm kinda stuck now. Who would of thought I needed to check a NIB (new in box) weapon that it was used? I guess I'll rant my disappointment on a google review, it will get the most attention there.

It was a used gun as soon as I left the register.

cm76065

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2017
    US
    Many of the guns we get from supplier are heavily coated in cosmoline. We recommend good cleaning and getting recommended oils/lubes done before firing new gub.

I've been really surprised at how heavily coated some are.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I can't imagine having to run 10 patches through a barrel to get it clean.
    I don't even need to run 3 through a pistol I just put 400 rounds through.

TX-Badger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    I always clean and lube the new ones, but have never had to do that much work to a new gun. My expectation is that I really should maybe only have to add a little lube to it, shouldn't really have to clean it, but better safe than sorry.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Lewisville
    I ran into this when i got my Ruger SR1911 lightweight CMD, had to run about 3 patches down the barrel, and scrub the rest of internals, the outside of the firearm was immaculate. It really looked like they fired it a bunch to sight it in, then wiped it down really good. Mine was also missing a Mag, but i contacted Ruger and they had one sent to me in a couple of days.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I have bought a bunch of new S&Ws and all were dirty. They don't clean after each use. With what they get for them you would think they would. Think about it though, Even a few hundred rounds are not going to wear anything. After 30 years of service the feed ramp on my 4506 is not even scratched. The barrel shows wear but not worn out. Maybe 8 to 10 thousand rounds. There is much more holster wear than use wear.
    The Bodyguard 380 is well made and even if shot some should serve for many years. Be careful, you know what happens to plastic if you leave it in the sun.

sigken

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Houston, TX
    For me if it's a new gun, it can be a little dirty but definitely no excessive wear (slide/barrel). If it's a display/demo model, it's not new in my book. It should come with a demo discount.

Over it

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2015
    BPS? Bass Pro? or some other smaller joint. If there is a posted NO RETURN POLICY then you should have left the store at that point. Unless they were giving this gun away you should have paid a little more at a much better store and gotten a truly NEW gun.

All gun shops I've bought from usually has a no returns policy. What gun store allows returns on firearms?

PRE-K

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Tomball
    Never experienced a very dirty "new" gun, either. They all appear to have been shot, but nothing more than a cylinder full or a half a mag at most.

I think you have the right idea about posting a review. Your gun isn't worn out, but its the principle!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom