• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I have the Scout with a synthetic stock. I over scoped it with a Konus 4-16 X 50 because I am half blind and I don't like carrying binoculars in the field. No it doesn't look or feel like the original; I wasn't trying for that anyway. I put a few rounds through it getting the scope dialed in but never finished, and it got put up. Looking forward to finishing that project someday.
    Update: I sold this gun in May and have been regretting it ever since!
    Guns International

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    I like the Tanker, it's handy. I bought it strictly as a truck gun and it works well for that. It's been reliable through the 500 or so rounds I have put through it. It's accurate enough out to 150 or so that I don't feel the need to bitch about it. Mags haven't been the easiest to find, but I was able to source enough.
    at least you are honest about your gun which is what I appreciate most from people.

I spent a good bit of time with the M14 while serving in the Army. I was taught, if I did my job, it would do its job. I later carried an M16. I now have a few AR15s and none of them is as enjoyable to fire as my M1A or M1 Garand.
    buddy, you should take off your rose colored raybans off once in a while, plus you can still enjoy a firearm you were issued with but don't make it more than it is.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    This is just a reminder that even the KRAG, of all guns, lasted longer as a service rifle than the M14 did.

In a just world, the military upon seeing the AR10, should have had Armalite use an all steel barrel and call it good.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    This is just a reminder that even the KRAG, of all guns, lasted longer as a service rifle than the M14 did.

In a just world, the military upon seeing the AR10, should have had Armalite use an all steel barrel and call it good.
    i feel like the composite barrel was really ahead of its time when they thought of it, but they should of just used steel for the test guns when the AR10 was in the rifle trials, the amount of politics in the ordnance department's decision on the M14 over the T48 FAL was just plain asinine .

BrianMDTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2021
    Conroe
    buddy, I think you are just coping about the M1A being a 700 dollar rifle that cant hold zero unless you dump 2000 dollars into a chassis that weighs as much as a boat anchor, you can enjoy a firearm that's bad, but don't try to make it more than it actually is, the M1A and M14 are guns that were overpromised and underdelivered in their day then, and the only reason people buy them now is because "m-muh military" and "m-muh MK14 EBR" when a 200 dollar savage with a walmart scope will outshoot even the most tricked out of M1A/M14 rifles. but if you want to hold on to some fossil of a rifle because it was american made, be my guest, but dont get asshurt about people shittalking it.
    I know my Savage 110E in .30-‘06 loaded with 57.0 grains of IMR-4350 with a 165 grain Nosler BT and a CCI-200LR primer will outshoot my SOCOM by a large margin. However, if the SHTF, I’d be grabbing that SOCOM loaded with a 20-rd magazine of 7.62 and never lose a second of thought doing so. It’s not a great comparison you’re making there.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    There was a time when I wasn't given a choice of rifles, I took what I was issued. I now have the freedom to choose rifles I desire. My safe contains several including "fossils" like the M1A, M1 Garand and lever action rifles. My safes also contain antiquated revolvers.

Disclaimer: Your ammo count may vary.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I know my Savage 110E in .30-‘06 loaded with 57.0 grains of IMR-4350 with a 165 grain Nosler BT and a CCI-200LR primer will outshoot my SOCOM by a large margin. However, if the SHTF, I’d be grabbing that SOCOM loaded with a 20-rd magazine of 7.62 and never lose a second of thought doing so. It’s not a great comparison you’re making there.
    Exactly. A hunting rifle isn't battle rifle, but a battle rifle can be a hunting rifle at reasonable ranges ;)
    FAL, M14, HK91, & the clones of each are all 2-3 MOA guns. They are all good enough to get the job done.

They each have their strengths... Out of all the old school battle rifles, the M1a has the nicest trigger and smoothest shooting. The HK91 clones are the most reliable and eat third world surplus ammo. The FALs have a carry handle.

Now a good modern AR10, that's the bee's knees.

Last edited:

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    you can do better though is the thing, even the cheapest AR10 will outshoot an M1A by a far margin on the merit that it doesnt loose zero every time you take it apart to clean it.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    you can do better though is the thing, even the cheapest AR10 will outshoot an M1A by a far margin on the merit that it doesnt loose zero every time you take it apart to clean it.
    Why can't you have both? See the great thing about America is that someone can own something even if you don't like it. I bought an M1A because I like them. I have ARs also. Why does it bother you that people have opinion that differ from yours? We got it that you like FALs and ARs etc... go start a thread about it. That's not the point of this thread.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    So again, you decide to not answer my direct questions. Umm..okay, then I'd probably be safe in assuming you have owned neither, and are strictly relying upon what others are saying about them. Hardly makes you an expert, and apparently not even experienced with them in on the very basic of levels.

I have actually owned four SA M1A's in the past. Like any other weapon's platform, they are not perfect by any means, but they served a purpose and a need for the military at the time. They also are still used currently for some military purposes in special applications. Also still serve in some applications as dedicated sniper and marksman rifle for some environments in warfare. Hardly the junk you claim them to be.

Hardly surprising when someone's all possible knowledge of guns comes from cartoons and video games.
    Axxe, as you know there are a lot of "experts" who only know what they have read on the internet or heard from buddies but lack actual field experience, but pass off what they have heard as their own experience.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    buddy, I think you are just coping about the M1A being a 700 dollar rifle that cant hold zero unless you dump 2000 dollars into a chassis that weighs as much as a boat anchor, you can enjoy a firearm that's bad, but don't try to make it more than it actually is, the M1A and M14 are guns that were overpromised and underdelivered in their day then, and the only reason people buy them now is because "m-muh military" and "m-muh MK14 EBR" when a 200 dollar savage with a walmart scope will outshoot even the most tricked out of M1A/M14 rifles. but if you want to hold on to some fossil of a rifle because it was american made, be my guest, but dont get asshurt about people shittalking it.
    Besides video games what is your personal experience using a M1A?

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Besides video games what is your personal experience using a M1A?

my best friend owns one and I was less than impressed with it, you can say "hurr you dont know anything about the M1A" when I have posted all the sources on why it isn't all that it is cracked up to be, there are issues with the design and its development history and adoption by the US military reflects that.
    Why can't you have both? See the great thing about America is that someone can own something even if you don't like it. I bought an M1A because I like them. I have ARs also. Why does it bother you that people have opinion that differ from yours? We got it that you like FALs and ARs etc... go start a thread about it. That's not the point of this thread.
    im not saying own a different gun, im saying that one shouldn't trust their life to a SOCOM 16 when there are far better rifles, my opinion of course.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    you can do better though is the thing, even the cheapest AR10 will outshoot an M1A by a far margin on the merit that it doesnt loose zero every time you take it apart to clean it

my best friend owns one and I was less than impressed with it, you can say "hurr you dont know anything about the M1A" when I have posted all the sources on why it isn't all that it is cracked up to be, there are issues with the design and its development history and adoption by the US military reflects that.
    I would love to hear your expertise explanation of how an M1A, or an M14 loses zero field stripping it for cleaning.

So your friend owns one. That is the extent of your experience? Seriously? I know, that far out-weighs mine, or anyone else's experiences, that have actually owned one, or several.

We shall now bow before your expertise!

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    I would love to hear your expertise explanation of how an M1A, or an M14 loses zero field stripping it for cleaning.

So your friend owns one. That is the extent of your experience? Seriously? I know, that far out-weighs mine, or anyone else's experiences, that have actually owned one, or several.

We shall now bow before your expertise!
    dude its a known fact even by camp perry target shooters that you gotta re-bed the stock if you take the gun apart and to not have issues like that you gotta buy a steel rifle chassis that weighs as much as a neutron star, while in contrast all you need to accurize an AR10 is a freefloat tube and maybe a trigger job, I understand liking a gun you own but its literally not better than any other .308 rifle made since the 50's and even then the BM59, FAL, AR10, and G3 dont lose their zero when you clean the rifle. lmao

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central

im not saying own a different gun, im saying that one shouldn't trust their life to a SOCOM 16 when there are far better rifles, my opinion of course.
    Okay, but this thread is about "What is your favorite M1A?" Not "why I think there are better rifles than the M1A" or "Is the M1A a good battle rifle". Since you don't seem to have a favorite M1A or own one it appears why bother to continue tell others what they should do with something that your experience is limited to "my friend has one". Why do you care what other people decide to do with a rifle they like? It's their choice. They have their reason and they don't need explain it to you.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I understand liking a gun you own but its literally not better than any other .308 rifle made since the 50's and even then the BM59, FAL, AR10, and G3 dont lose their zero when you clean the rifle. lmao
    You are trying to make a case against something that no one here even stated in the first place. You are also full of crap about the rifle losing zero. I cleaned mine and it shoots same POI when I put it back together.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    dude its a known fact even by camp perry target shooters that you gotta re-bed the stock if you take the gun apart and to not have issues like that you gotta buy a steel rifle chassis that weighs as much as a neutron star, while in contrast all you need to accurize an AR10 is a freefloat tube and maybe a trigger job, I understand liking a gun you own but its literally not better than any other .308 rifle made since the 50's and even then the BM59, FAL, AR10, and G3 dont lose their zero when you clean the rifle. lmao
    Please link your sources for this information.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Okay, but this thread is about "What is your favorite M1A?" Not "why I think there are better rifles than the M1A" or "Is the M1A a good battle rifle". Since you don't seem to have a favorite M1A or own one it appears why bother to continue tell others what they should do with something that your experience is limited to "my friend has one". Why do you care what other people decide to do with a rifle they like? It's their choice. They have their reason and they don't need explain it to you.
    i said the BM59 was my favorite M1A because it doesnt suck, but thats a few pages back.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom