Military Camp

What's your favourite general purpose calibre?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    .308 also... but am leaning toward 260 Remington lately. Proven .308 casing necked down to a 6.5 bullet... I hope the 260 gets more popular. White Tail aren't that big down here.
    ARJ Defense ad

RIATAC45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I personally prefer the 6mm Remington. I have a Remington mdl 600 mohawk that has done all I ever needed a rifle to do, its short enough I can take it where I need, and a light enough caliber to not wear you out. I can shoot ~1 1/2" groups at 200 yds from a bag with it.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    another .308 man here... mostly because thats what I'm familiar with, I can figure it's trajectory faster than I can blink. When you know a round so well accounting for wind, and other environmental factors become second nature.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    I'll swim against the current here. Without a doubt, the absolute most fun calibre is the .22. I have .308, .223 and more, but nothing puts a smile on my face like a .22.

Major Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Tyler
    I'm with you, Pappy - 7x57 Mauser.

Bought a military surplus M93 Mauser in 7x57 for $30 from Sears store in 1966, sporterized it with a Herter's stock, and put a Weaver V9 scope on it. Shot an elk with it, using Norma 150 grain ammo in 1973. Traded it in for a left handed DuBiel custom rifle, also in 7x57 Mauser, at a gun show in Dallas Market Hall in 1998.

Currently handload 140 grain Hornady Interlock to 2,950 fps (Chrony verified velocity), and also shoot deer with it using Remington 140 grain factory loads (2,650 fps-not Chrony verified). Blows holes completely through deer with the factory loads -shooting over a feeder at about 75 yards.

No recoil with factory loads, a small amount of recoil with high velocity handloads.

What loads do you shoot in yours, Pappy? What game do you shoot with it?

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    What loads do you shoot in yours, Pappy? What game do you shoot with it?

I mainly shoot 150 gr Nosler BT over H-414.
    I have not taken any game with it, but my son has shot many deer, both native and exotic.

He finds that sometimes bullet fails to expand, I suppose, because the 150 gr weight.
    139, 140 would be better for Texas game.

p99guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Haslet
    Really depends on what General Purpose its self revolves around, (self defense/hunting/or plinking)

a majority of rifles I own are full power .30 caliber types, but If I was going to be living in the north, and having to hunt larger animals for food
    It would be hard to beat the Weatherby Mark V .270 WbyMag my dad passed down to me...its light enough to carry up and down the hills and revines all day, yet very accurate and flat shooting when the time comes.
    I have seen this very rifle in the Hands of my dad hit a coyote at 490 yds
    across a open plowed field, and drop several white tail deer like they had
    been killed with a packing house bolt gun. Its Taken several ELK, and Mule
    deer in Wyoming, and Colorado. If hunting was the plan , it would be my pick. Actually fun to shoot as well.

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    50 BMG...everything is bigger in Texas :D

Really though, I don't hunt anything out side of paper or steel targets. So I would have to say my favorite caliber would actually be one of the smallest, the .22lr.

RookRifle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    General Purpose

Iam from northern Ontario my all-round gun is 1893 Marlin 38-55 dense bush a factor

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    In Texas, it seems like it's hard to go wrong with the more modern military/military surplus rounds - namely 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 (or .308), or even .30-06.

Of course, I'll probably own a levergun in 30-30 someday. It's picked on for being a "weak" round, but rumor has it that it's taken far more deer than it's given credit for and is losing ground not to some other hunting cartridge, but cheaper, similar-shooting 7.62x39.

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    I'll vote for a couple, for Texas the .25-06 is probably all you need and I have carried one to kill hog, white-tail, coyotes, to the troublesome Audad.

Personally, I'm still a devoted .30 caliber fan and love having a .30-06 around...carried one since I was 12 off and on.

When I want the extra power or range (depending) I like the .300 Win Mag on a 26" Pipe (this will give you nearly .300 Weatherby Ballistics).

Top Bottom