Lynx Defense

What's your favourite general purpose calibre?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cobra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    CANADA
    When I lived in NW Alberta, I probably favoured my .338 Win Mag, along with 30-06 and a .35 Whelen. A number of years ago I bought a 7mm-08 after my cousin raving about his and started using it occasionally. Well, the more I used it, the more I was impressed by it's capabilities. Now that I'm back in Ontario, I probably reach for the 7mm-08 more than anything else. I currently have a Savage Sierra and a Mannlicher styled carbine from Remington's Custom Shop in 7mm-08. What's your favourite general purpose calibre?
    Capitol Armory ad

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    .308 has been good to me. I use it for hunting and target shooting. My first .308 right would do a 2/3 MOA group, and then I could take it and get a pig. I have really limited optics on my new .308 rifle, but I suspect it is just as accurate.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Always been a big fan of the .280 Remington. I know, I know, some guys will claim all it is, is a .270 Winchester on steroids, but the bullet selection is great. I had my Rem 700 chamber throated, so I can seat the bullets out a bit and have been able to approach 7mm Mag velocities without as much powder as the 7 mag requires. With either the Rem 150 Core-Lokt or Hornady 154 grain bullet, I've been able to get 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    7x57mm Mauser!

7x57mm Mauser. I have a very early Ruger M77 long throat and hollow bolt.
    Also several Mauser rifles in 8x57mm and 7.65x53mm, but, the 7mm is the favorite.

Pecos45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Cobra, you live where bigger critters roam. No way you'll win this discussion although the 338 is obviously a good one.

I've had three great loves in my life. First was 30/06.......then came the .308 which will do 75% of what a 30/06 does....but the 270 may end up being my all time favorite. It won't do quite everything an /06 can but mighty close. The thing I have come to love about the 270 is that it just does all it's tricks so easily. It's a rifleman's rifle and makes the guy shooting it seem about 10% better shot than he is with any other rifle.

I'm very sorry I waited so late to really give the 270 a chance in my life.

Cobra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    CANADA
    Cobra, you live where bigger critters roam. No way you'll win this discussion although the 338 is obviously a good one.

I've had three great loves in my life. First was 30/06.......then came the .308 which will do 75% of what a 30/06 does....but the 270 may end up being my all time favorite. It won't do quite everything an /06 can but mighty close. The thing I have come to love about the 270 is that it just does all it's tricks so easily. It's a rifleman's rifle and makes the guy shooting it seem about 10% better shot than he is with any other rifle.

I'm very sorry I waited so late to really give the 270 a chance in my life.

The .270 in Texas doesn't surprise me but I was under the impression that the 25-06 was one of the more popular calibres in Texas.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom