Military Camp

What's your pick for "homeland defense" carbine?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    So, I am a fan of both the AR-15 and the AK-47 for SHTF/Homeland Defense or whatever term you use for if things go bad.

I've had many of both as well as other options like the FAL, SKS, Garand, M1-Carbine, etc. but my pick at this point in time is the AR-15 "M4gery".

So, things get "western" and that's what my opponents will see pointed at them.

What's your pick?
    Hurley's Gold

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Neither, HK53 :D. Between the two, AK would only slightly edge out the AR for me.
    JmNIbiz.jpg

Last edited:

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    My Sig716 if I had to choose between the two as I don't have an AR-15 and I'm not interested in 5.56. Army ruined that for me and I prefer larger calibers. That being said, my SKS is just as nice. Stripper clips are lighter than magazines and I can carry more of them.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Great lookin rifles and carbines! And this isn't an either/or thing - I just said I like AR's and AK's for the purpose. Your pick is whatever you like.

And the purpose can be different - I think we all pretty much think alike that you want a semi (or full if you've got the stamp) auto with high capacity magazines or quick charge like an SKS for general protection.

But there could very well be a need for stand-off firearms as well. My current choice for that is an old Remington M700 in 30-06. Yes, there are much better long range cartridges but I'm good with the old 30-06 for a lot of reasons beyond the fact that it's what I had to keep. With the right loads, my AR will reach out to 500+ yards but not with much authority on target. A standard 20" AR is good for 600. But the larger 30 caliber and bigger cartridges carry so much more energy on target and of course range is 1000+ if you can hit at that range...

Oh and the very first reply was a carbine/pistol shared-magazine combo. Not a bad choice but I personally want a little more poop and reach for the carbine. Though, in an urban setting the pistol caliber choice would probably be just fine and it certainly simplifies your ammo needs.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    47BA9DC7-5870-4782-919A-991E85A1C021.jpeg
    And if 308 doesn’t do enough damage, there’s always the 45-70. But it ain’t really a carbine with a 26” Barrel.

Top Bottom