Hurley's Gold

What's your pick for "homeland defense" carbine?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    AK or SKS for 50yds. or less .
    PSL for long range.
    Ironic for your username...

It all depends on the role required... my LR308 with 24" bull barrel, with nightforce scope is my go-to for long range... working on Saiga 308 carbine(project gun), that will be more versatile in range, but with 308 punch. One of my AKs would be next, unless I have a supressor- then it's one of my 300BLK 10" barrel pistols (but if it's really hit the fan, at least one is going on a rifle lower... go ahead and arrest me while I'm shooting foreign soldiers).
    I need to stockpile more 300blk ammo...and buy a supressor. it's really amazing suppressed... AK damage in short range, but sooo quiet.
    Of course, my Marlin Guide gun and shotguns will be options for specific roles.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Like the 30-06 thought for long range.

AR for short range.

40 cal for up close.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good thread. I think your choice has a lot to do with your own scenario. Do you live in the city, are you going to stay in the city, are going to travel to your secure place or maybe you live in the country and gonna hold the fort down.

Night watch would be on top of the house with my suppressed AR15 running a thermal scope pushing 55g vmaxs.

Day watch would be nestled into the caprock with a suppressed 6.5c or 338lm.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    So, I am a fan of both the AR-15 and the AK-47 for SHTF/Homeland Defense or whatever term you use for if things go bad.

I've had many of both as well as other options like the FAL, SKS, Garand, M1-Carbine, etc. but my pick at this point in time is the AR-15 "M4gery".

So, things get "western" and that's what my opponents will see pointed at them.

What's your pick?
    As you specified SHTF/Homeland Defense I will assume the changes of gun play have gone up far more dramatically. As I live in the Hill Country that puts most shots well inside 300m and in most locales here unless cleared the Mesquite, Cedar and underbrush are incredibly thick and require a short gun:

IWI X95 in 5.56 + EOTECH XPS3

If the duration extends and forces me to travel beyond the Hill Country I would head West towards Big Bend AO and park my x95 and reach for:

Armalite AR 10T (Target grade) + Trijicon ACOG 3.5x35 Scope 308 M240 BDC Reticle w/ TA51 Mount

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Ironic for your username...

It all depends on the role required... my LR308 with 24" bull barrel, with nightforce scope is my go-to for long range... working on Saiga 308 carbine(project gun), that will be more versatile in range, but with 308 punch. One of my AKs would be next, unless I have a supressor- then it's one of my 300BLK 10" barrel pistols (but if it's really hit the fan, at least one is going on a rifle lower... go ahead and arrest me while I'm shooting foreign soldiers).
    I need to stockpile more 300blk ammo...and buy a supressor. it's really amazing suppressed... AK damage in short range, but sooo quiet.
    Of course, my Marlin Guide gun and shotguns will be options for specific roles.

I had an M-14 for a while and was going to go by 7.62x51 nato but someone already had
    that name ,so the next was 308nato.
    I sold the rifle when the 7.62 got to be more expensive than when I first got it.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    So, I am a fan of both the AR-15 and the AK-47 for SHTF/Homeland Defense or whatever term you use for if things go bad.

I've had many of both as well as other options like the FAL, SKS, Garand, M1-Carbine, etc. but my pick at this point in time is the AR-15 "M4gery".

So, things get "western" and that's what my opponents will see pointed at them.

What's your pick?

Whatever enchanted carbine turns me back into an invincible <25yo.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    AKM3.gif

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    MP43 in 8mm Kurz. Been out of production for 70 years, there's no spare parts, no magazines available, ammunition is nonexistent, and zero parts commonality with any NATO weapon system.

Perfect for SHTF :cowboy:

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017

At my house I’m going with my .300 win mag AR. If I have to carry the damn thing with ammo I’m going AR chambered in .223.

Top Bottom