• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I must admit that up until a couple of years ago I was strictly a 1911A1 guy. One of my gun trades involved a fellow with an older .38 Spl. Colt Police Special. I reluctantly accepted it in trade. I figured I would just pass it on to someone else later on.
    When I got it home, I decided to clean it before I put it away. As I sat there looking at this revolver I started to gain a whole new respect for the skills of the craftsman back when this pistol was made. The bluing was amazing and the fit of the metal pieces was flawless. It also had a very nice trigger pull in SA/DA modes.
    I did pass this revolver along to someone else, but not before I shot a few cases of ammo through it.
    This old Colt caused me to start collecting older S&W revolvers. The older pinned and recessed models are my favorite. I started with "collector grade" S&W revolvers. Those are now gone. I can't own fun guns to shoot without shooting them. Mine are now "shooters" not "collectors". I do have a really nice 4" Model 57 (no dash) remaining. I shoot it occasionally. It is by far my most favorite revolver and caliber. I do not have a picture, but those familiar will understand.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I must admit that up until a couple of years ago I was strictly a 1911A1 guy. One of my gun trades involved a fellow with an older .38 Spl. Colt Police Special. I reluctantly accepted it in trade. I figured I would just pass it on to someone else later on.
    When I got it home, I decided to clean it before I put it away. As I sat there looking at this revolver I started to gain a whole new respect for the skills of the craftsman back when this pistol was made. The bluing was amazing and the fit of the metal pieces was flawless. It also had a very nice trigger pull in SA/DA modes.
    I did pass this revolver along to someone else, but not before I shot a few cases of ammo through it.
    This old Colt caused me to start collecting older S&W revolvers. The older pinned and recessed models are my favorite. I started with "collector grade" S&W revolvers. Those are now gone. I can't own fun guns to shoot without shooting them. Mine are now "shooters" not "collectors". I do have a really nice 4" Model 57 (no dash) remaining. I shoot it occasionally. It is by far my most favorite revolver and caliber. I do not have a picture, but those familiar will understand.

Feel your pain ...
    No matter what I go to the range with I end up with a Model 38 in my hand.
    And big a grin after running a box of wadcutters.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Since this thread popped up, I read through the whole thing. What a hoot. I have a soft spot in my cold, black heart for wheel guns. The first gun I learned to shoot with was my grandfather's S&W .357. Shame he sold it before he passed.

The next gun I get will be a revolver. I just have no idea which one. The new GP100s with a 7 round cylinder are mighty enticing though.

I don’t put a bunch of crisco or bore butter over my balls like all the people on YouTube.

You really don't know what you're missing out on....waitaminute...

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

Had a chance to shoot the new M625 .45acp revolver today.
    Shoots great. Recoil kinda stout. Didn't expect that.
    Gonna need some soft rubber grips I think.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Moon, with the internal lock I'm surprised the entire range didn't spontaneously combust. :D

The Internal Lock debate is dumb.
    The guns that have it run just fine.
    If it rustles your jimmies remove the silly thing. Takes about two minutes.
    I would remove it on a SD gun. Range toys, why bother?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Feb 1, 2009
    I agree with you. I'm just poking fun at the horrible lock.

I was glad to see S&W left out the lock on my Model 637. Since they are to blame for starting the stupid trend, maybe they can help end it forever.

topduarte

Well-Known
    Feb 27, 2017
    Nice SAA. Thats next on my list.

Just made a deal on this Colt scout from 1961.

Attachments

• IMG_5339.jpeg
      IMG_5339.jpeg
      37.3 KB · Views: 133
    • IMG_5340.jpeg
      IMG_5340.jpeg
      33.2 KB · Views: 146
    • IMG_5341.jpeg
      IMG_5341.jpeg
      33.7 KB · Views: 135
    • IMG_5338.jpeg
      IMG_5338.jpeg
      27.7 KB · Views: 133
    • IMG_5343.jpeg
      IMG_5343.jpeg
      34.7 KB · Views: 136
    • IMG_5344.jpeg
      IMG_5344.jpeg
      30 KB · Views: 142
    • IMG_5342-1.jpeg
      IMG_5342-1.jpeg
      33.6 KB · Views: 159

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Another wheel gun lives on:

Just picked up this up last Tuesday, hidden away in my deceased father's ranch house clothes closet, underneath the bottom shelf of a built in shoe rack. I fondled it numerous times as a youngster ;) , knew he had it, and while going through his personal property for family distribution before probate, finally located it.

According to family lore, the pistol (the holster with it, according to Dad when he found it as a youngster in the barn loft some 85 years ago) had been left behind by a Confederate soldier hiding from Union troops around Breaux Bridge, Louisiana shortly after Confederates had burned the local bridge to stop the Union advance.

He had apparently been hidden by my family in a barn on their family plantation along Bayou Teche and had to hurriedly sneak out under cover of darkness. That story has been been told, in French and English, for a three generations in our family. I remember hearing my paternal grandmother, who didn't have much English, tell the story on a tape recording, in French, well over 60 years ago.

Difinitely a .31 or .36 caliber Colt, Serial #136332 on all parts ... I'm thinking a Model 1849 "Pocket" pistol?

As Executor, I guarantee its's going to my 33 year old nephew (Dad's first grandson) ... another one of us - a conservative, Christian gun owner, a strong 2A supporter, AR-15 builder, and 1911 lover to boot.

In any event, glad to keep a bit of history going and it'l be in good hands ...

ETA - nephew, who apparently lurks here, say's he's 33 ... :)

Colt 1949.JPG

Last edited:
    Top Bottom