• ...and so much more!
  • TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Another wheel gun lives on:

Just picked up this up last Tuesday, hidden away in my deceased father's ranch house clothes closet, underneath the bottom shelf of a built in shoe rack. I fondled it numerous times as a youngster ;) , knew he had it, and while going through his personal property for family distribution before probate, finally located it.

According to family lore, the pistol (the holster with it, according to Dad when he found it as a youngster in the barn loft some 85 years ago) had been left behind by a Confederate soldier hiding from Union troops around Breaux Bridge, Louisiana shortly after Confederates had burned the local bridge to stop the Union advance.

He had apparently been hidden by my family in a barn on their family plantation along Bayou Teche and had to hurriedly sneak out under cover of darkness. That story has been been told, in French and English, for a three generations in our family. I remember hearing my paternal grandmother, who didn't have much English, tell the story on a tape recording, in French, well over 60 years ago.

Difinitely a .31 or .36 caliber Colt, Serial #136332 on all parts ... I'm thinking a Model 1849 "Pocket" pistol?

As Executor, I guarantee its's going to my 33 year old nephew (Dad's first grandson) ... another one of us - a conservative, Christian gun owner, a strong 2A supporter, AR-15 builder, and 1911 lover to boot.

In any event, glad to keep a bit of history going and it'l be in good hands ...

ETA - nephew, who apparently lurks here, say's he's 33 ... :)

View attachment 127494

Really really awesome. And if your nephew is lurking here, he needs to come in and introduce himself.
    Lynx Defense

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Thanks!
    Since he's here and will see the above, going to let my nephew have some of the fun of discovery.

Lettered a Colt piece that belonged my grandfather many years ago.
    Made in 1917 and sent to Denver, CO.
    Sometime in the early 30's it came to be in Grandfathers possession. He lived all his life in San Antonio, TX.
    My Dad told me Grandfather felt it was a good idea to have a weapon during those times. It was the era of the infamous motor bandits. Grandfather liked to go way out in the middle of nowhere and fish. Having a weapon was prudent.
    That missing 15 or so years is a mystery that will never be solved but it sure would be fascinating to know the how/where/when it came to be in Grandfathers hands.

RevolverGuy

Aug 8, 2013
    My EDC.

I can more than hold my own against autos in IDPA:

e4533fa00af6fbb7389bc78e040d335d.jpg

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    If you want to hunt with a handgun, revolvers come in a lot more suitable calibers than autos. Of course you could also pick one of the single shots to hunt with also.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    It has been my experience that if a revolver is fully loaded, it will go bang 99.9% of the time.
    As much as I like SA pistols, the same thing can't be said for them.
    My favorite revolver is my 4" blued S&W Model 57. The .41 mag is considered a clique firearm. The ammo is expensive making it popular with only a small number of revolver collectors.
    I reload, so ammo cost is not a factor for me.
    If you ever get a chance to shoot a 57, go for it. Careful though, so may end up in the clique!

Top Bottom