• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45tex

TGT Addict
    Feb 1, 2009
    After switching to a revolver for EDC I just got Ruger EC9s. Now I found a couple of boxes of .357 mag lost in the closet. Can't be wasteful of ammo so I know what I will buy next.
    ARJ Defense ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It has been my experience that if a revolver is fully loaded, it will go bang 99.9% of the time.
    Unfortunately, the times when it doesn't tend to be real problems. A high primer or a bullet walking out of the case is a true jam that takes time to clear. Such things usually don't happen to SAs; they get "stoppages" that are usually easily cleared.

Logical way to proceed? Carry two revolvers. :)

As an aside, I do have a SA pistol (a Kahr) that's actually jammed. There's a round in the chamber and the slide is immobile, about an eighth of an inch out of battery. It seems that the non-captive recoil spring on early Kahrs could jump off the guide rod and completely jam the pistol. The head of Kahr customer service told me to mail it to them. I told him I couldn't unload it to send it in and his reply was "Nobody checks. Nobody will ever find out. Just mail it in."

I'll leave it to my heirs to figure it out. :)

45tex

TGT Addict
    Feb 1, 2009
    I've never had a bullet walk out of a case, while loaded in a revolver. I've had a few that were too long.(having a sneaky 357 sneak into a pile of ammo) So sad. Me: Oh my, the cylinder won't close. (glancing at the gun) Oh lookey that boolett is sticking out the front of the cylinder. How ever will I clear this stoppage? Maybe I need to mail this to a gunsmith.
    If you don't try to take them 100% apart revolvers are simple, forgiving and can run a lifetime without ever opening them up.

Top Bottom