benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
About the guns...

I realize they were probably stolen. There should have been a legal mechanism to return them to their rightful owners. That didn't happen.

If they weren't returned to the rightful owners, then maybe some weren't stolen. Yet when the family of Clyde Barrow tried to claim some or all of them, they were basically told to go jump in the lake. Hamer had already stolen them.

The contract to Hamer specifically told him he could have the guns. When a state official draws up a contract that explicitly pays a contractor in stolen goods, the corruption is running pretty damn deep.

I'm not saying that B&C didn't deserve a hail of lead. I am saying that everyone who helped that hail of lead come into being had dirty hands. The disposition of the guns is just one illustration of that state of affairs.

Eli

Well-Known
Dec 28, 2008
Ghettohood - SW Houston
About the guns...

I realize they were probably stolen. There should have been a legal mechanism to return them to their rightful owners. That didn't happen.

If they weren't returned to the rightful owners, then maybe some weren't stolen. Yet when the family of Clyde Barrow tried to claim some or all of them, they were basically told to go jump in the lake. Hamer had already stolen them.

The contract to Hamer specifically told him he could have the guns. When a state official draws up a contract that explicitly pays a contractor in stolen goods, the corruption is running pretty damn deep.

I'm not saying that B&C didn't deserve a hail of lead. I am saying that everyone who helped that hail of lead come into being had dirty hands. The disposition of the guns is just one illustration of that state of affairs.
Spoils of War. The mentality 90 (!) years ago was quite different from today.

Eli

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
Nov 7, 2015
When once it was discovered the pampered perfume L.E. couldn't get the job done, they called in Hamer...oh my, he's just so...able.

roadrunner

TGT Addict
Jan 30, 2018
Here
You may need to review the facts of each case. A grand jury sitting on another case witnessed one shooting and declared Hamer justified on the spot.

Frank Hamer was a bad ass and a Texas hero.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
Have you reviewed every case where hamer killed someone?

Is it just hamer or are there other murderers that you think are heroes?

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

Well-Known
Mar 19, 2010
Austin, Texas
Have you reviewed every case where hamer killed someone?

Is it just hamer or are there other murderers that you think are heroes?
Murder is such a relevant term... you are tainting the argument by speaking as if he had been tried and convicted of something...

When the Kings of Europe battled, they took no prisoners of the lower classes. Was that murder? Or a war crime? No, that was within the bounds of engagement, tacitly agreed to by both sides.

During the War of Northern Aggression when the United States invaded the several sovereign States was that "murder" because they killed people of those sovereign states?

When Hamburg was firebombed, was that "Murder" because civilians (many of whom worked to manufacture arms) were knowingly and intentionally targeted and killed?

Hamer acted within the bounds of what was acceptable during his time and circumstances. He was a smart, clever, unyielding lawman and woe be unto you if he was on your trail, you were going to be caught or killed. The world would be a better place if polite society stopped treating criminals as the victims and let the rough men do their job within the bounds of the law without regard to appearances, to maintain law and order.

I am sure folks 100 years down the road will be appalled at some of the things business and government does daily right now, but that won't make it wrong after the fact.

Doctors weren't evil for amputating limbs in the old days. It was just how it was done. If you don't like Hamer and his methods, don't live in the past...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

ScorpionHunter

Aug 22, 2012
Driftwood
About the guns...

I wonder if those guns had serial numbers on them. I think they became required only with the GCA in 1968. It may not have been possible to identify the rightful owners.

Gummi Bear

Mar 24, 2015
Arlington
Many of the guns carried by the members of the Barrow gang were stolen from national guard armories.

They robbed more than one in late night smash-n-grab capers.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Top Bottom