• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …One famous gun writer who spent those days in the Border Patrol has been quoted as saying he didn't really know how many people he had killed because he "didn't count wetbacks."…
    Wasn’t there a Texas Ranger that is attributed to a similar quote around the time of Porvenir?
    Military Camp

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Wasn’t there a Texas Ranger that is attributed to a similar quote around the time of Porvenir?
    Let me look it up. I might have the wrong agency but my point still stands.

ETA: I was thinking of Charles Askins Jr. while he was in the Border Patrol.

From Wikipedia:
    Askins was controversial for the relish with which he described the numerous fatal shootings in his law enforcement and military careers, stating he had killed 27 men. Because he was involved in numerous shootouts along the US/Mexico border, and due to his stated practice of not keeping track of African-Americans and Hispanics, the actual number of killings he committed was potentially much higher. Askins once remarked that he thought he was a psychopathic killer, and that he hunted animals so avidly because he was not allowed to hunt men anymore.

Last edited:

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    One famous gun writer who spent those days in the Border Patrol has been quoted as saying he didn't really know how many people he had killed because he "didn't count wetbacks."

I had a second cousin that worked on the El Paso police dept. that killed quite a few people. The story was that he was fired for killing so many illegals. He said that anytime he saw someone crossing the river he would shoot them. I only saw him 1 time and that was back in the early 60's after he moved back to this area. I thought that it was pretty cool that he had a 1911 laying in the seat beside him in his car.

He started his murderous ways when he was young. One day when he was walking home he got into an argument with a black man. He went to my grand dad and borrowed his shotgun. That night he went to the man's house and shot him through the window while the man was eating supper. I wish that he had been brought to justice back then. It would have saved quite a few lives.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    IIRC, he was a thief, too. Where did Bonny and Clyde's guns wind up? Was there any official action taken to have them surrendered from the estate? Did they go permanently into evidence? No. AFAIK, Hamer just stole 'em. He knew they'd be valuable, so he outright stole pretty much anything he wanted.

Yes, I know there was a contract saying he was allowed to do so but the ethics and integrity displayed by everyone involved in contracting a hired gun to work for the state, murder people, and then be partially paid off by robbing the dead is pretty damn lacking.

If you love Hamer, feel free to write me long posts with references showing me how all the stuff he did was technically legal.

I believe every firearm B&C had were stolen property - hell, everything they had was stolen - and wouldn't have been turned over to any estate.
    Hamer did what was asked of him by the State of Texas, nothing more, nothing less.

Eli

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    IIRC, he was a thief, too. Where did Bonny and Clyde's guns wind up? Was there any official action taken to have them surrendered from the estate? Did they go permanently into evidence? No. AFAIK, Hamer just stole 'em. He knew they'd be valuable, so he outright stole pretty much anything he wanted.

Yes, I know there was a contract saying he was allowed to do so but the ethics and integrity displayed by everyone involved in contracting a hired gun to work for the state, murder people, and then be partially paid off by robbing the dead is pretty damn lacking.

If you love Hamer, feel free to write me long posts with references showing me how all the stuff he did was technically legal.
    If Bonnie & Clyde wanted their guns back, they should have filed the paperwork at the courthouse.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    About the guns...

I realize they were probably stolen. There should have been a legal mechanism to return them to their rightful owners. That didn't happen.

If they weren't returned to the rightful owners, then maybe some weren't stolen. Yet when the family of Clyde Barrow tried to claim some or all of them, they were basically told to go jump in the lake. Hamer had already stolen them.

The contract to Hamer specifically told him he could have the guns. When a state official draws up a contract that explicitly pays a contractor in stolen goods, the corruption is running pretty damn deep.

I'm not saying that B&C didn't deserve a hail of lead. I am saying that everyone who helped that hail of lead come into being had dirty hands. The disposition of the guns is just one illustration of that state of affairs.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    About the guns...

I realize they were probably stolen. There should have been a legal mechanism to return them to their rightful owners. That didn't happen.

If they weren't returned to the rightful owners, then maybe some weren't stolen. Yet when the family of Clyde Barrow tried to claim some or all of them, they were basically told to go jump in the lake. Hamer had already stolen them.

The contract to Hamer specifically told him he could have the guns. When a state official draws up a contract that explicitly pays a contractor in stolen goods, the corruption is running pretty damn deep.

I'm not saying that B&C didn't deserve a hail of lead. I am saying that everyone who helped that hail of lead come into being had dirty hands. The disposition of the guns is just one illustration of that state of affairs.
    Spoils of War. The mentality 90 (!) years ago was quite different from today.

Eli

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Hamer was a murdering POS. IIRC he is credited with killing 52 people during his 26 years in LE.
    You may need to review the facts of each case. A grand jury sitting on another case witnessed one shooting and declared Hamer justified on the spot.

Frank Hamer was a bad ass and a Texas hero.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    When once it was discovered the pampered perfume L.E. couldn't get the job done, they called in Hamer...oh my, he's just so...able.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    You may need to review the facts of each case. A grand jury sitting on another case witnessed one shooting and declared Hamer justified on the spot.

Frank Hamer was a bad ass and a Texas hero.

Have you reviewed every case where hamer killed someone?

Is it just hamer or are there other murderers that you think are heroes?

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Have you reviewed every case where hamer killed someone?

Is it just hamer or are there other murderers that you think are heroes?
    Murder is such a relevant term... you are tainting the argument by speaking as if he had been tried and convicted of something...

When the Kings of Europe battled, they took no prisoners of the lower classes. Was that murder? Or a war crime? No, that was within the bounds of engagement, tacitly agreed to by both sides.

During the War of Northern Aggression when the United States invaded the several sovereign States was that "murder" because they killed people of those sovereign states?

When Hamburg was firebombed, was that "Murder" because civilians (many of whom worked to manufacture arms) were knowingly and intentionally targeted and killed?

Hamer acted within the bounds of what was acceptable during his time and circumstances. He was a smart, clever, unyielding lawman and woe be unto you if he was on your trail, you were going to be caught or killed. The world would be a better place if polite society stopped treating criminals as the victims and let the rough men do their job within the bounds of the law without regard to appearances, to maintain law and order.

I am sure folks 100 years down the road will be appalled at some of the things business and government does daily right now, but that won't make it wrong after the fact.

Doctors weren't evil for amputating limbs in the old days. It was just how it was done. If you don't like Hamer and his methods, don't live in the past...

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    About the guns...

I wonder if those guns had serial numbers on them. I think they became required only with the GCA in 1968. It may not have been possible to identify the rightful owners.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    Many of the guns carried by the members of the Barrow gang were stolen from national guard armories.

They robbed more than one in late night smash-n-grab capers.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Top Bottom