• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Well not all spikes are created equal. Rex here was a spike, at 2 he was little better. At 3 he was still ugly, but he blossomed, and that was that. rex.jpg

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The problem is that everyone of his offspring will be spikes. If you are looking for truly trophy quality antlers, whack the spikes early and often.
    Good looking deer you bagged. I like the weird antlers:)

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    I like the weird antlers
    Yeah me too. I wish I could find a picture of the really weird one I got a few years ago. 8 point, 6 on one side, and a massive palmated fork on the other.

From a herd management standpoint, that deer( and mine) are crap deer.
    True, that's why it ended at 3 years with "and that was that"

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yeah me too. I wish I could find a picture of the really weird one I got a few years ago. 8 point, 6 on one side, and a massive palmated fork on the other.

True, that's why it ended at 3 years with "and that was that"

What did he weigh?

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I don't understand. Are spike bucks not just 1st year bucks? Is a normal buck supposed to produce regular looking antlers the first year? I passed on the same spike about 4 times last year because I didn't want to use Buck tag during until antlerless season..

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Big deer for this part of the world. Keep the rack?
    Good eating too. As to keeping it, well sorta, its yard art.
    I don't understand. Are spike bucks not just 1st year bucks? Is a normal buck supposed to produce regular looking antlers the first year? I passed on the same spike about 4 times last year because I didn't want to use Buck tag during until antlerless season..
    Some bucks are spikes for the 1st year. Others can be spikes the second and beyond. It is a combo of nutrition, stress, population, and genetics. During times of duress ie drought or lack of food antlers wont develop well. If the spike is caused by genetics that deer should be removed from the gene pool quickly, the problem is determining the factors causing the lack of antler development. If it is environmental let it walk and you see a better deer in the future, if it is genetics let it walk and see a crappy deer in the future, and that deer will make crappy offspring. It takes lots of observation, time and study to make that call.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

If you have a lot of nice 1-2 year old 8 pointers with good brow tines where you hunt and you see a spike with the same body mass as the good looking youngsters, kill it. If you see a 3-4 year old deer with 4 or 5 points, kill it. You will be doing the herd a favor.

Top Bottom