• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riteii

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    Hill Country
    Yesterday I picked up a suppressor that was released and the gal who was there told me I should renew my CHL now. 7 months before it expires. She said she had heard that the State was behind and it was taking 6 months to get a renewal.

I went on the State site last night and it refused my renewal saying it wasn't time, but no where I could find when you can start renewal.

Anybody know?
    DK Firearms

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I think 6 months is the minimum early renewal and I'm pretty sure these are running around 3-4 weeks. My last renewal took 3 weeks from the time I did the online deal and got the card in the mail.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    You will receive a renewal notice from DPS, and then the online renewal will be open. If you're inside 6 months and still haven't received the letter just check the website. Do it as soon as you can and you will have no problems getting it renewed in time.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    They will send a renewal notice 6 months out from the expiration. Once you receive your renewal notice, you can log on to the web site and begin the renewal process. I did mine last month, and it took exactly 30 days.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I would suggest as soon as you can. The state isn't always doing things that make the most sense.

I just renewed my DL. They sent out notice 60 days before it expired. I renewed online right away. The online renewal gave me a card to print that said I could use it as a temporary DL and it would expire in 45 days (almost 15 days before my actual DL expires) :confused:

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    My renewal was less than 3 weeks. Might be bureaucracy???????????

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/bureaucracy

[ C ] plural bureaucracies MANAGEMENT a system for controlling or managing a country, company, or organization that is operated by officials who are employed to follow rules carefully:
    a government/state/federal bureaucracy These regulations have no benefit except to support a large government bureaucracy.
    [ U ] disapproving WORKPLACE complicated rules, processes, and written work that make it hard to get something done:

We need to avoid creating another layer of bureaucracy.
    avoid/eliminate/reduce bureaucracy

bob

ATXDave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2018
    Round Rock
    Not sure if this is useful info, and I'm not proud of this...but I missed my last renewal window (i.e. my CHL expired) a couple years ago. I read the state code and couldn't find a clear statement of what "happens" in that case. So I went ahead and did the renewal steps, and they didn't give me any grief. New ID card arrived in just a few weeks, as I recall.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Not sure if this is useful info, and I'm not proud of this...but I missed my last renewal window (i.e. my CHL expired) a couple years ago. I read the state code and couldn't find a clear statement of what "happens" in that case. So I went ahead and did the renewal steps, and they didn't give me any grief. New ID card arrived in just a few weeks, as I recall.

I've done the same once

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    They will send a renewal notice 6 months out from the expiration. Once you receive your renewal notice, you can log on to the web site and begin the renewal process. I did mine last month, and it took exactly 30 days.

My experience was nearly identical BUT it took them about 15 days to send me the new card. Did everything online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom