Join TexasGunTalk

When You Discover That Your Friends Are Criminals

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by gdr_11, Mar 15, 2019.

1. V-Tach

V-Tach TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    Doesn't anyone have criminal friends?

...and Deemus....only a 100+?

Slacker.........

deemus, TxStetson and ZX9RCAM like this.
  2. Eli

Eli Well-Known

Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    A friend from high school 25 years ago is still in prison for trying to put a hit on his mother, "Killer her, bring her back to life, and kill her again!"
    No, I'm not friends with him, and haven't spoken to him since before the arrest.

This guy was a co-worker, and one of the nicest guys I've ever known: https://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines...ings_Of_3_In_Williamson_County_121567794.html
    https://www.upi.com/Texan-kills-wife-in-laws-dies-in-crash/25861304964017/
    http://www.raymondville-chronicle.c...n_deaths_of_3_killed_during_police_chase.html
    https://www.news-journal.com/news/l...cle_cf9246d4-138f-581c-b3a6-8d27b3a5c15f.html
    His wife left him, took everything except some sheets, a blanket, and his shotgun. I'm not sure what led up to him going after her, and her parents, but I am sure of 2 things: One, that he was really pushed; and the second that she really regretted leaving the shotgun with him.

I know 2 RSOs. One is likely innocent, his girlfriend's ex got their daughter to say he touched her. He got deferred adjudication, but was stupid enough to not even have electricity on at his supposed residence - an apartment at the infamous RSO-filled Candlewick - when his PO came by one night to check on him. He got violated, ended up spending several years in prison. He has since left the country, unfortunately his RSO address is his parents' house.
    The other was convicted of aggravated sexual assault his adoptive sister. I don't know the details, and can't discuss most of what I do know, but I was shocked when I found out.

Eli

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  3. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I've only got one. We're friends (still) since 7th grade.
    He only became a criminal in the mid 80s.

4. Kar98

Kar98 TGT Addict

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I'm soooo non criminal, I wondered what's so bad about being a range safety officer...

Sam7sf, deemus and toddnjoyce like this.
  5. MetalCutter

MetalCutter Life is too short for cheap cigars!

Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    That has to be one of the greatest understatements of all time!

6. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    Best framing carpenter I've ever hired, BIL of a large concrete contractor, was Union in WA and owned a framing company there for 20 years. When housing took a hit in the early 2000's he came back down to Texas to work.

Had kited a check in Texas when in his late teens, was convicted but not jailed, although he had to report to a probation officer for two years.

Claims he thought his time had run out after two years and left Texas to work in WA state.

Leaving one of my job sites after work around the Austin area a few years ago, he was stopped for a tail light being out on his truck and work trailer, whereupon he was immediately jailed on a 20+ year old warrant and ultimately spent the next two years at Huntsville.

To say the guy was one of the nicest, hardest working and honest individuals I've ever known is an understatement, and at one time my life depended up being a good judge of character.

He even mentored a couple of youngster I'd hired for summer work and demonstrated a real knack for teaching the kids the rudiments of the trade.

I wrote the parole board in his behalf when he came up for parole, and hired him for a few more jobs after that, until he went back to WA.

Still firmly convinced that prison time was totally unnecessary and a miscarriage of justice. But shit happens when you let it ... sometimes years later.

WT_Foxtrot, Sam7sf and ZX9RCAM like this.
  7. Eli

Eli Well-Known

Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    There was either as lot more to it than that, or he had a really bad lawyer!

Eli

karlac likes this.
  8. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My buddy got arrested a few years back for an old warrant. Apparently his $50 check for his tux rental for his wedding bounced.

They have been married 20 years or so.

9. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I used to patronize a video rental store where the proprietor got a thrill from seriously enforcing his rental contracts.

If you were 2 days late returning a video, he reported it stolen. There was paperwork involved and he had the whole process down to a routine. He used to brag about the number of people he'd gotten arrested.

Somehow I think he had found some way to monetize the situation but I don't know for sure. Once he felt comfortable enough with me to brag about it, he let his guard down and revealed himself to be an awful person in many ways. I started going elsewhere.

My point? Little stuff can bite people in the ass much harder than they realize.

Dawico, Sam7sf and toddnjoyce like this.
  10. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    In Texas that would likely depend upon the amount of the check. Laws may have changed, but a check of $1500 was at least a state jail felony, up to two years ... the more the less merrier .

The probation violation/warrant would likely explain why he went to prison, more likely to serve the original sentence?

toddnjoyce likes this.