• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    That GR Corolla is awesome. Love that it’s AWD and the top trim looks to have a rear seat delete with a spare tire rack lol. Wish I lived somewhere with more dirt roads lol.
    On the one hand, a 52 year old professional probably shouldn’t be looking at a 3 cylinder hot hatch. Something something <target demographic> something something

On the other hand, it looks like a riot to drive.
    And might be one of the last of a dying breed - an affordable ICE performance car with a manual transmission.

I’ve got big home projects to work on, so I can mindfuck this decision for quite some time LOL
    Texas SOT

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I'm seeing 4.9xsec 0-60 on the Toyota website. 3 cylinders with a cute little whistle toy making 300hp @ 6500, and 273 or 295 lb. ft. is pretty respectable - but that power doesn't come in until over 3k. That means Toyota doesn't want to push the rods through the block and is keeping the wastegate open down low. That will tend to translate to slower 0-60, and I'm sure they're also doling out a prodigious amount of torque management so you don't grenade the drivetrain trying to sidestep the clutch at the 7200 rpm redline. Probably won't even allow the engine above a certain RPM until the clutch is fully locked.

So it's high strung, probably a lot of fun to drive, but it's not designed to be fast.

ETA: What surprises me is the gas mileage. 21/28, 24 combined?

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I would expect sub 5 seconds with 300hp in a little car, especially with AWD.
    Second gear tops out just below 60 mph so there’s an extra shift that kills the time.
    It supposedly runs with the Golf R, which hits 60 in the mid 4 second range.

But these cars aren’t designed to drag race, if it was then they’d offer it with an automatic.
    They’re designed to get the driver involved, to put a smile on your face.
    Based on road tests I’ve seen, they succeeded...but I haven’t driven it yet.

To be perfectly honest, I‘ve never dumped the clutch at high revs on any car I’ve ever owned, and there’s no way I’d do that to this AWD car.

When I get back to work later this month, I’ll see if I can borrow one for a few days.

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    ETA: What surprises me is the gas mileage. 21/28, 24 combined?
    Yeah that’s not great…the motor is so tiny, I’m guessing that it’s always running on at least some boost, even on the EPA test cycle.

I’ll have a chat with some engineering clients when I go back to work.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Second gear tops out just below 60 mph so there’s an extra shift that kills the time.
    It supposedly runs with the Golf R, which hits 60 in the mid 4 second range.

But these cars aren’t designed to drag race, if it was then they’d offer it with an automatic.
    They’re designed to get the driver involved, to put a smile on your face.
    Based on road tests I’ve seen, they succeeded...but I haven’t driven it yet.

When I get back to work later this month, I’ll see if I can borrow one for a few days.

I know little of this Toyota, but based on the specs it would be a fun car for highway commuting. Like you said, it's not a drag racer....BFD. Not much drag racing on a highway commute.

Something I learned with a Honda and a manual transmission that has little torque but a high rev....On the highway I can downshift, push it quickly to the redline and do quite fine. Crusing at 100 is no problem though it does knock mpg down to around 27.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The older I get, the less numbers on a spec sheet seem to matter.
    There's a lot of fun that can be had, by driving a well-sorted slow car fast.
    That’s why 90’s Hondas were such a hoot to drive IMHO

But honestly I drive sporty cars too fast to the road, I do better in large trucks…but I drive trucks too fast also LOL

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    To be perfectly honest, I‘ve never dumped the clutch at high revs on any car I’ve ever owned, and there’s no way I’d do that to this AWD car.
    Well son you're just not livin'

The older I get, the less numbers on a spec sheet seem to matter.
    There's a lot of fun that can be had, by driving a well-sorted slow car fast.
    That’s why 90’s Hondas were such a hoot to drive IMHO
    God I hope I never get that old :p

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    strange... Most modern small displacement turbos are putting out full torque at 2k or even a little lower. Sounds like Toyota is being a puss and a tune will easily wake that thing up.
    Yeah I want to dig into it to see why it’s peaky.

We usually see torque peaking early, then carrying on a flat plateau, on modern turbo power curves.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Pretty cars are cool I guess. However,
    my ette.jpg
    I prefer my go-car over your show car.

Top Bottom